Highlighted
Kudos: 76

Re: Aircube Feature Requests

Because the AirGateway (solid product) was discountinued we are forced to use the AirCubes.... Although I really don't understand why a solid product would be discontinued, it makes matters worse when its replacement is lacking several features. We as WISPS really need all features in the airgateay to be added to AirCube to allow us to stick with ubnt for customer routers. Or just start making AirGateways again...

Here are my top 5 that would make this product perfect for our WISP (The last 2 are just gravy):

• Traffic shaping
  • Specrum analysis
  • Some sort of mount (wall mount/table mount)
  • PoE in port also functions as WAN port (This will allow us to easily use them in MDU's and power from one source)
  • Add support to AirControl or airgw support to unms (Currently we have a mixture of AC2 and UNMS)

I will agree that

• WiFi range is outstanding
  • It looks great

Thanks!

Established Member
Kudos: 312
Solutions: 37

[ Edited ]

So I thought I'd give the airCube another chance and upgraded the firmware today. 

On the one hand, it's disappointing the lack of progress that's been made over the past 5 months and I'm guessing the coders & testers aren't getting enough resources. 

On the other hand, it's getting close to being usable.  What's been implemented is good.   Once network tools are implemented (ping, ethernet status, speedtest/iperf and hopefully an arp table) I'd certainly start deploying them to end users and cross my fingers that development continues.

I am pleased UBNT has listened to feedback on the install process.  A paper clip on the reset button is an acceptable compromise.

• Would also suggest on next hardware release it has an LED indicating POE out (or have the network port LED turn red similar to netonix switches).
  • Couldn't the static DHCP lease have a drop down from currently connected DHCP clients instead of copy and pasting (actually..that could apply to all airMax products)?
  • Until UNMS has even half the features of airControl2 I think excluding support for the latter will affect uptake.  A lot of WISPs will ditch UBNT WiFi routers as they only reason they used airGateways/airRouters was the support in airControl.
  • Total upload/download usage since last reboot next to client info would be useful.  Especially with a "reset counter" option or maybe an option to set number of days (e.g. rolling counter with last 7 days usage)
  • I'd list ALL connections under client info, not just WiFi clients.  Just change the WiFi icon to an ethernet port on these.

@UBNT-SNK - I see there's a forum for airCube now so feel free to move this thread there if you like.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1693
Solutions: 262

Moved, and thanks for the feedback here.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1752
Solutions: 136

@scracha wrote:
  • Would also suggest on next hardware release it has an LED indicating POE out (or have the network port LED turn red similar to netonix switches).

I don't expect a hardware refresh anytime soon, but when that does happen, my biggest request would be accepting PoE power on the WAN port (both versions) and changing to a coaxial DC input jack on the ISP.

Close behind would come an SoC bump (there's a version with hardware NAT offload) and some way of securing the darn things to a shelf or wall (or to a separate weighted base).  A threaded insert has been mentioned, but I'm open to anything that works.  While you're at it, go ahead and use the improved antenna on the ISP model.

Established Member
Kudos: 312
Solutions: 37

@MimCom wrote:

I don't expect a hardware refresh anytime soon, but when that does happen, my biggest request would be accepting PoE power on the WAN port (both versions) and changing to a coaxial DC input jack on the ISP. 

Wouldn't imagine that would need a hardware refresh.  They should be able to just assign the POE port as the WAN port in software.  

Ubiquiti Employee

I believe with the current design it does require a hardware refresh.
Kudos: 3

[ Edited ]

@scracha wrote:
  • I'd list ALL connections under client info, not just WiFi clients.  Just change the WiFi icon to an ethernet port on these.

+1 for this. And make it available in UNMS (at least via the API like it's already in place for the stations "/devices/aircubes/{id}/stations").

Ubiquiti Employee

Noted, thanks.
Kudos: 2

Hello .. Good evening.
My contribution, to expand the wireless network in the customer who use Aircube.
Configure a second Aircube to work in mesh with HW Aircube that is as a router. This connection must be wired.