Established Member
Kudos: 457
Solutions: 12

SSH

Is SSH will be added soon?

Web base isn't easy to manage from remote.

That's why I think ssh is much more reliable and easy when working remote.

I know there is UNMS but when it failed, we have to move on site, which isn't nice.

Regards,

iLevac

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 514
Solutions: 166

Re: SSH

There are no plans to add SSH access to these devices as of now.

What do you want from SSH that you can not get from the WebUI/UNMS?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Established Member

I want to connect to the device for troubleshooting purpose.

UNMS don't work now when there is vlan in use.

When UNMS connection is broken I have no way to log into the device.

Also, when the device is disconnected, you can't see the settings in unms, which isn't great for troubleshooting.

I want to run automated script for configuration.

WebUI isn't really efficient when you have to configure a lot of cube with each a different password.

Make sens @UBNT-Nick?

I don't know any device that isn't using ssh and there is a reason why.

ssh is much more reliable than anything else.

Regards,

iLevac

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2009
Solutions: 306

I understand your points, but at the moment SSH support is not planned.
Established Member
Kudos: 512
Solutions: 18

SSH is needed for programmatic access. It's pretty common for managed network devices to have some way to manage them with custom scripts and the like. Don't understand why UBNT overlooks this with such casual dismissal - just makes it harder to integrate UBNT gear into heterogenous networks.

Established Member

@FuzzyDice

Thank you!

I was kind of scared to be the only one that want to have ssh access.

I am wondering why ssh isn’t there by default.

I understand that ssh might not be used in Amplifi because it’s a consumer device.

But for a ISP aimed device, I don’t get it.

Established Member
Kudos: 512
Solutions: 18

It took a lot of pushback just to get the web GUI, so at least there is that to be grateful for. I don't get it either though - we're acquiring other WISPs who have a variety of networking gear and it all supports some level of command line access. We would be totally screwed without it, so going all in on Aircubes that don't support it seems a dubious proposition as a long term strategy.

Good morning to all, my query is direct, in the new firmware updates for AirCube ISP will be enabled or allow SSH connection with these computers?

ssh is a requirement for managing these devices.

As I do the management with the Aircube, in no option appears to enable or use SSH to configure them.

Ubiquiti Employee

SSH is not currently supported, but is in discussion for a future release.
Kudos: 69
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-Nick wrote:
There are no plans to add SSH access to these devices as of now.

What do you want from SSH that you can not get from the WebUI/UNMS?

Automation that we can't accomplish through the UI. For example, pushing an initial configuration file to the device.  Just to be clear - ssh with the ability to load public keys for passwordless authentication.

Oh, and reading various counters for the purpose of traffic management. You know, the stuff that you would normally be able to get from the also-missing SNMP.  Also need vlan tagging support on the internal switch (including the Wifi port) when in bridged mode.

We bought into the AirCube AC as a very reasonably priced and packaged POE-out access point to use with Powerbeams for our customers. It seemed like an unfinished product firmware-wise, but we were patient and figured you'd finish it. A shame you have no plans to.

Established Member
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 8

Hi,

I and others have asked for SSH before, and recieved the same response, so don't think you were ever alone on this.... This is just the latest thread on it.

This is probably the number two request (number one being to fix the wifi issue) along with some of the other management tools.  I can't seem to put my finger on any other device for professionals that doesn't have SSH... So... Ya... Get that in, please.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

"Found the problem! It was the interface between the seat and the keyboard."
Ubiquiti Employee

Guys, as I have mentioned several times across these threads, it is being discussed for a future release. I am happy to hear community feedback, but right now this is not making it faster or more likely that the feature will be included. I will update you on this as soon as I can.
Established Member
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 8

[ Edited ]

Hi @UBNT-SNK,

The reason this is going on, here is that in July (just above) you stated SSH is NOT planned... That would be a very bad decision, and many here think so.

You will more than likely keep hearing this until it is amended/added.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

"Found the problem! It was the interface between the seat and the keyboard."
Ubiquiti Employee

Please see my most recent post from last week which states this feature is in discussion for a future release.
Kudos: 39
Solutions: 1

Everyone has their own reasons why they need SSH access.

I am offering aircubes to my broadband internet customers, for reasons I wont get into I have no SNMP access to my broadband modems; however; if I could SSH into the aircube I could pull logs and diagnostic levels from the modems... Thus making me more inclined to have the CSR's push aircubes on customers.

But I think you would consider giving us SSH access to help the community - We could actually look into issues, such as why do aircubes think they are running at 100% cpu usage - I could SSH in, run top and see if its a reporting issue or if its actually something hanging up the router. Then post a post in the community with my findings and actual useful logs.

Thought I would chime in

I would also like to add my support for SSH access to Ubiquity, in my case Amplifi.  For me its simple - until the unit no longer needs regular reboots (every 2 - 3 days) to fix throughout issues, a command line / automated / scriptable method is needed to administer the device.  Said more crassly, make it stable or add SSH, please.

Ubiquiti Employee

Noted, thanks guys.
Kudos: 77

[ Edited ]

if I remember correctly ssh was enabled in earlier firmware but it was removed at some point, like they did in other products recently (cameras?).  Seems to be a disturbing trend of making everything increasingly closed and proprietary.. Meanwhile, they still are taking advantage of lots of open-source software. How's that for an unfair one-way street..

Speaking of open-source software, are any portions of airCube firmware licensed under the GPL ? (Linux kernel ?)

How/where can the source code for these (with ubiquiti modifications) be obtained per GPL requirements ?