Kudos: 1

Traffic Graph Explanation for a Newbie

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone

My Aircube AC Webinterface gives me information I cannot interpret:

screenshot.png

I only have one client connected (and none via Ethernet on the switch side of things).

Why does the interface show me a "global" download throughput of 6.31Mbps, while the client only draws 8.49kbps?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

Re: Traffic Graph Explanation for a Newbie

@UBNT-Kaleda can you clarify how the Download figure is generated?
Kudos: 2

For me the traffic showed in the graph but not in clients means that it's generated by a user connected via ethernet.

But if you're sure there is no ethernet client.. well this is strange.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 141
Solutions: 8

The client shows information per wireless client - delta during small ammount of time (few seconds).

The main chart shows total trafic on wan port. And it may depend on mode. If it is in bridge mode - then all your LAN traffic is also calculated.

Kudos: 1

Thanks @UBNT-Kaleda and everyone for getting back so fast.

Could you dumb down your answer for me? Because I am not really sure I get the issue. The multiplier between client DL speed and the graph shown is >1000 and the client had only been connected for a few seconds, maybe minutes (I restarted the Cube just before taking the screenshot).

And the graph shows total LAN traffic if in Bridge mode? Even if that traffic does not go through the AirCube but happens in a different part of the Network?

Thanks for clarifying...

P.S.: Could the issue be multicast traffic? I recently setup IPTV via Multicast, but so far have only been using it on the Ethernet side of things, not Wifi.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 141
Solutions: 8

If I uderstand correctly - your airCube is in bridge mode, right ?

Does airCube have any devices connected to it by ethernet ?

This definitely can be multicast traffic, but it has to be passed through airCube.

Of cource airCube is not accounting all your network traffic.

Highlighted
Kudos: 345
Solutions: 14

I think it probably is your multicast IPTV.  If the switch that the AirCube is connected to does not support IGMP Snooping, then the multicast traffic is broadcast out all Ethernet ports.  I would guess that since the graph speaks in Download and Upload that it's showing the Tx and Rx traffic on the Ethernet port that is connecting it to the switch.  So all that multicast traffic gets counted.  Since the client graph does not show the traffic being sent to the client, I would guess that the bridge in the AirCube has IGMP Snooping working properly, so it drops all the multicast traffic when the wireless client is not watching TV.

Dreams never hurt. It's when they turn into expectations that you get problems.