Kudos: 171
Solutions: 1

Using AirCube as APs in a mesh

Hi

I have a friend who has a decent hardwired setup, but wants good WIFI

Unfotunatly i cannot convince him to go Unifi as he dosnt have the $$

Can we get two AirCubes and connect at each end of the house via cat6 back to his switch and set them up as a meshed network?

Kudos: 60
Solutions: 13

Re: Using AirCube as APs in a mesh

Nope ... the config is very simple until now ... maybe in future

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1860
Solutions: 138

@buzurk wrote:
Can we get two AirCubes and connect at each end of the house via cat6 back to his switch and set them up as a meshed network?

This configuration works just fine using current firmware.  Set the second airCube in bridge mode (or both if there's a separate router) and use different WiFi channels.

I have an EdgeRouter powering two Aircube AC’s using PoE placed on opposite sides and different floors of the house. They are hard-wired back using cat6 on the current AirCube firmware. 

Both Aircubes are in bridge mode with static DHCP leases from the router. I manually set the channels on both 2.4 and 5 ghz networks and lowered the power output on both to limit signal overlap and help devices decide the better signal.

That is the important part, manually setting channels and signal strength. That made the biggest difference. 

I also utilize the 4-port switch on the Aircubes to allow a couple AppleTV’s and a MacMini to have Ethernet back to the router. For the 2 Aircubes, the EdgeRouter and some quality Cat6 cable, cost me $250 total. Half an Eero Pro setup.

Overall, I am very happy with the performance, device/client hand-off and reliability of the wireless connection/signal. The Aircubes may not be as powerful as a UniFi AP as they seem to max out at around 500 Mbps compared to UBNT’s max tested throughput of 760Mbps (AC’s) and > 1Gbps for the UniFi APs, but, the cost, built in switch and small size make up for that minor limitation. Plus my Internet tops out at 120Mbps. 

[ Edited ]

lunr, that doesn't sound like you're using the ap mesh functionality then...

@sapphirecoupe I don't believe i mentioned that I was using mesh in the proper definition. More confirming @MimCom's suggestion of using the AirCubes in Bridge mode and having a wired backhaul. And how well that setup has worked for me since I have the wired backhaul available. 

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2701
Solutions: 39

the budget point doesn't hold up, Aircubes that support mesh (AC) are right up there with Unifi APs that support either 1 hop repeating (UAP-AC-Lite) or mesh (UAP-AC-M).

I have an aircube right now as my AP, and I'm not impressed. I got it originally to setup as mesh with a second aircube in the future, because I misunderstood what Ubiquiti was marketing as mesh. 

I like my ER-4 and 2 ER-Xs set up as gig switches, but I need to revisit what I am going to do for AP's because this aircube was a waste of money.

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

Sorry that this did not meet your expectations @sapphirecoupe - out of interest what were you expecting from a mesh mode?