Established Member
Kudos: 192

Why is not possible to change wss key in UNMS?

I am now in situation that I have to change IP address of unms server. I cant use public domains and have no time to study and play with lets encrypt. How can I change WSS code, or just IP using UNMS...not to do it individually in 100 devices?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1992
Solutions: 303

Re: Why is not possible to change wss key in UNMS?

Established Member
Kudos: 192

BUMP

Kudos: 5

posting to follow.

i have had 2 instances where i moved my unms server and in both instances i was forced to manually reconfigure the devices,

even though i was using a domainname in the second case.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1992
Solutions: 303

@UBNT-Radek can you comment on this please?
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1200
Solutions: 231

@rado3105   @bpeeters   I am very sorry for the delay. I will prepare an answer for both of you tomorrow.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
UNMS Support - If you want to report an issue please use this guide.

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

Ubiquiti Employee

@rado3105   Hello Radoslav. In our system, the connection is almost exclusively created from a device to UNMS, therefore the address of the UNMS server really matters a lot. That is why we always recommend using FQDN which offers much more flexibility in case you need to change the IP address of the UNMS server. In case you cannot use FQDN you need to change the UNMS key in all connected devices each time you move your UNMS server to a different IP address. There is a way how to change UNMS key in many devices at once if they are discoverable with UNMS device discovery tool though. When you use this tool, you enter the IP range of your devices and when they are discovered UNMS automatically inserts its current generic UNMS key into them. 

As for the LetsEncrypt certificate, it is completely automatic by default. The only thing you need to do is to make sure that the address 'http://FQDN:80' is available and UNMS is accessible on HTTP port 80 (which is also set up by default). HTTPS port can be set up any way you want. 

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

@bpeeters Hello Bjorn. Using the FQDN as a UNMS hostname should allow you to change server's IP address without impacting the connection to devices. Please in case you would experience any more difficulties with changing your server IP again, let us know and we will help you find the cause of the issue.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png