Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 1830
Solutions: 173
Contributions: 9
Accepted Solution

airCube AC and NanoSwitch

Will a airCube 'handle' POE-in on WAN side without doing smoke and still function at 1 gig-e ?

I have cases where I want to swap current EP-R6 to NanoSwitch (and install new), for cost and simplicity,

but this also means I can't turn off PoE out on the NanoSwitch, and the airCube does not support PoE-IN on WAN.

(Even though both N-SW dip switch and ACB PoE-IN has been requested bunch of times, early on.)

/Paetur

Accepted Solutions
Kudos: 608
Solutions: 72

Re: airCube AC and NanoSwitch

Hello @Paetur

The case you described is work for me with 1GB ethernet and no smoke in airCube. Tested with ACB-AC powered with standard PSU with 24V POE in WAN port. Also PoE Passthrough switch if OFF.

Majo

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2101
Solutions: 325

Let me check...

Hello @Paetur

The case you described is work for me with 1GB ethernet and no smoke in airCube. Tested with ACB-AC powered with standard PSU with 24V POE in WAN port. Also PoE Passthrough switch if OFF.

Majo

SuperUser
Kudos: 11289
Solutions: 693
Contributions: 1

Paetur,

It should be fine unless there's some strange ground loop issue between the NanoSwitch port's power supply and the AirCube's power supply.   But as long as both unit's power is coming from the same AC source and ground it should be fine.   I would turn off the ACB's passthrought power out to the WAN side to keep any current flows from happening through the ethernet transformers.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
"It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
"Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should."my mantra in the Programming classes I used to teach once upon a time...
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2101
Solutions: 325

I have asked our hardware team for an answer on this as well.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1888
Solutions: 140

We connect airCube WAN ports to our provisioning rig on the bench (with 24V PoE active) on a regular basis, with no ill effects.

As an aside, given the history, I can't see UBNT designing any Ethernet port that would not survive a connection (intentional or not) to 24V passive PoE.

[ Edited ]

IMG_5686.JPG 

Majo