Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2009
Solutions: 306

airCube Wi-Fi issue - help with our investigation

Hi All,

We are continuing our investigation into the airCube Wi-Fi client drop issue and are looking for some support files from airCube devices when this occurs, before they are rebooted. If you have any of these to hand or are able to reproduce the issue, please either post here or send me a PM. Thanks for your patience with this issue as we continue to work on it.

Kudos: 83
Solutions: 2

Re: airCube Wi-Fi issue - help with our investigation

A reboot isn't needed, turning the wifi off and on again fixes the issue.

Support file coming on a PM.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2009
Solutions: 306

Good to know - thanks.
Kudos: 158
Solutions: 27

[ Edited ]

OK, I'm getting worked up here. Got yet another call from a client with Apple devices about AirCube WiFi dropping. This is an AC device. Grabbed a SUP to try and help UBNT out. I can't upload them on the forum "The contents of the attachment doesn't match it's file type" is the error. So I go to the DM. I can't attach files there either. What am I missing? @UBNT-SNK what is your e-mail address?

I need an answer to this WiFi problem or I'm going to have to start replacing AirCubes. I've lost my clients trust that this is being resolved. 

Edited to tag - @d_baltrusis; can you help me get an email address to send an AirCube SUP file to?

Kudos: 5

just a question... is it happening only with apple devices?

i ask because in the past i have seen issues with mikrotik and apple devices where the "solution" was to allow an older security scheme and have the apple devices connect using that.

@bpeeters wrote:

just a question... is it happening only with apple devices?

i ask because in the past i have seen issues with mikrotik and apple devices where the "solution" was to allow an older security scheme and have the apple devices connect using that.

No, it appears to be happening with all devices, but on my network, Apple device users are the most prolific reporters/complainers. I've ordered the 'Tik Hap AC2 as a possible replacement for the AirCube ACs. I've been a huge supporter of AirCubes, but development is taking too long. I'm losing business now.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 28

Uploading my support file prior to a reboot. I noticed wifi hasn't been working for a day or so.

Same symptom: Unable to connect to wifi, and sometimes complains of incorrect password. I pulled the support file via wired connection.

Aircube ISP, firmware 2.4.0

Devices that couldn't reconnect:

Lenovo laptop (intel)

iPhone 6S

Xbox One

(ie: its not just an apple issue)

It seems to happen much more frequently when the UNMS connection is running. (memory leak?)

The Last time, this took 2 days to happen. Then happens more frequently. Deleting the Aircube from UNMS seemed to help. We also get a lot less complaints from customers since we disabled the UNMS connection from the aircube and deleted from unms.

This time, it took 10 days to happen. Changing WiFi channel width from 20mhz to Auto seemed to "wake it up" and devices started reconnecting. It might have restarted a service or something when I did this. I noticed Unms was still enabled on the aircube (trying to connect to url), but was deleted in unms, if that makes a difference that it wasn't totally disabled.

Attachment

Ahhh, you zipped the SUP file. I'll do that. I'm so upset that I didn't think of that. I agree that when it happens once, it happens again more frequently.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 28

Adding another support file. This one was taken after I changed the channel width, and clients were able to start connecting back. In case comparing the two states helps you.

Attachment

Ok, here is a SUP for a problematic AirCube. This is an AC. This SUP was taken 15-30 minutes after a Mac Book Pro lost it's connection and was unable to reconnect according to the Client. Nothing was changed between the problem and the SUP was taken. 

Attachment

[ Edited ]

@FTNET-Dane wrote:

Uploading my support file prior to a reboot. I noticed wifi hasn't been working for a day or so.

Same symptom: Unable to connect to wifi, and sometimes complains of incorrect password. I pulled the support file via wired connection.

Aircube ISP, firmware 2.4.0

Devices that couldn't reconnect:

Lenovo laptop (intel)

iPhone 6S

Xbox One

(ie: its not just an apple issue)

It seems to happen much more frequently when the UNMS connection is running. (memory leak?)

The Last time, this took 2 days to happen. Then happens more frequently. Deleting the Aircube from UNMS seemed to help. We also get a lot less complaints from customers since we disabled the UNMS connection from the aircube and deleted from unms.

This time, it took 10 days to happen. Changing WiFi channel width from 20mhz to Auto seemed to "wake it up" and devices started reconnecting. It might have restarted a service or something when I did this. I noticed Unms was still enabled on the aircube (trying to connect to url), but was deleted in unms, if that makes a difference that it wasn't totally disabled.

Following your idea. I just removed UNMS connections to my worst offending AirCubes (multiple replacement 'cubes have been at these clients homes and same results for all). I also force 20Mhz connections. I have not changed that. 

Kudos: 4

Here's a SUP file.

My aircube will often (3 or 4 times a week) just dump a lot of connections .. It usually runs at about 25 happily, but will then ofen dump 20 connections.

It has just done it .. but only 4 or 5 have gone this time. About to reboot.

Nothing special here -- in a domestic setting, surrounded by WiFi networks in other flats nearby.

Lovely thing when it's working well Man Happy

Pat

Attachment
Kudos: 2

I have instructed my support staff on how to collect these files and under what circumstances.  Hopefully the volume of incoming files should indicate the issue too.

Thanks for keeping this issue alive and recognizing it is an actual problem.  

Attachment

[ Edited ]

Got another one here for ya.  These so far are all unique ACBs.

I tested this one on site with an Acer Spin Nitro 5 laptop with Win 10.  Was unable to connect to the wifi. Used UNMS to turn wifi off, save, wifi back on, save and was able to connect to wifi without a total reboot.  Something tells me it's more likely to reoccur without a full reboot though.

Attachment
Veteran Member
Kudos: 784
Solutions: 23

I just wanted to chime in here 

All of our AirCubes are in Bridge Mode and

we have 26 AirCubes connected to UNMS have had 0 wifi drop complaints

Makes me thinks something related to NAT?

Established Member
Kudos: 457
Solutions: 12

And another.

Attachment
Kudos: 4

This is in Bridge mode.

And another.  Showed devices still connected but customer said they had no service.  Turned wifi off while logged in through public IP.  Device kicked me out when I tried to turn it back on and got this 

Unexpected error occurred while saving your changes.
Request aircube/Ubus/uci/revert/REQUEST timed out after 30000ms

Could be entirely unrelated or due to my remote connection with the device.  Used UNMS to turn wifi back on and it worked fine.  Odd thing is the cube must have dropped its PPPoE session and got a new IP as it moved when my connection to the device dropped.

Attachment

So glad I finally came across this post!  I thought I was losing my mind as well as subscribers trust.

Luckily I only have 1 that I am aware of this happening to.  Next time it happens I will grab a support file and upload.