Kudos: 2

Re: airCube Wi-Fi issue - help with our investigation

Since it seems to be specific units that are repeatably having issues and it seems to impact about 10% of the cubes deployed they should offer a streamlined recall/replace so they get get seveal known to be non-working cubes on the test bench.  I have 10 cubes I could send them right now from this issue and if we can get an streamlined RMA process that covers shipping I can get another 15 or so in the next week or two.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 784
Solutions: 23

I'm sure it would help if everyone have issues would include it's build date code with sub files I'm pretty shocked UBNT did not ask for that

Kudos: 158
Solutions: 27

I would think that the MAC address would tell them the build date.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

Yes, we can work out the build date from that. And this does not appear to be device or hardware batch specific.

Thanks for the additional support file info everyone. Our development team reads this thread and uses these files, so thank you again.

As of this morning we have reproduced some of the reported airCube issues in the lab. We are working on the next step to take but I want to repeat again that this is being actively worked on and is a high priority issue for the team here.

[ Edited ]

While I don't have as many deployed as most I do have about 20% that I am aware of that are experiencing this issue.  I just had a client inform me this morning that it just happened to theirs.  This is the first time it has happened to theirs and it has been installed for about 4 months.  I have some other clients that are losing wifi connectivity on a weekly basis as well.

Attachment
Ubiquiti Employee

Thanks for the info @peiubn22.

I also have a lot of issues with 2 airCube AC's I bought. The following I have noticed since buying them:

- The disconnection of clients. I also see this in the debug file. I also see alot of constant errors being logged with message:

failed to set preamble for vdev 0: -11
kern.warn kernel: [515635.697529] ath10k_pci 0000:00:00.0: failed to send pdev bss chan info request

When searching more online this seems to be a known bug for this network adapter to happen and also crashes different brands that use the same chip.

- After I reboot the device I'm able to connect my devices again and my 5GHz network is visible again. After a couple of hours my 5GHz network always dissapears. This happens on both devices! (both devices are on different locations and subnets).

See my attached sup file.

Attachment
Kudos: 31

[ Edited ]

Thanks drac -- wi-fi restart worked for us too.

Kudos: 4

Is there any progress to report in tracking down the issue?

I have lost enough customers that I have had to walk away from the aircube.  Awesome idea - if it worked.  Trouble is the things that are broken with this product are not its uniquie features, but things that should be expected to work as normal for a mature wireless company.  We have started to deploy RB952's with good success.  I will be contacting my distributor to return the dozens of cubes I have that have all had this issue.  If UBNT wants them to have known borken units on the bench PM me soon.

Ubiquiti Employee

We do not need the units back, and sorry for your experience with the airCube so far - we are making progress on the fix for these issues though.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 9

Can you please tell us where you have made progress? Any iota of information would be helpful. It feels like you are intentionally keeping us in the dark and it is frustrating because so many of our devices have been affected by this issue. Our customers are rightfully upset with us for installing bad equipment and the manufacturer apparently doesn't see fit to give us any updates! Man Sad

Here is a SUP file from one I just dealt with this morning. at 07:30AM CST we rebooted the AirCube and at 08:30AM CST it was down again. 

Attachment
Kudos: 158
Solutions: 27

@Xiervak wrote:

Can you please tell us where you have made progress? Any iota of information would be helpful. It feels like you are intentionally keeping us in the dark and it is frustrating because so many of our devices have been affected by this issue. Our customers are rightfully upset with us for installing bad equipment and the manufacturer apparently doesn't see fit to give us any updates! Man Sad

Here is a SUP file from one I just dealt with this morning. at 07:30AM CST we rebooted the AirCube and at 08:30AM CST it was down again. 

It's been over a month since this issue has been knowledged by UBNT. I've gone to another manufacturer for customer routers. It's cost me too many customers. I'd suggest you do the same @Xiervak

Ubiquiti Employee

We are investigating an RX interrupt handling issue in the Wi-Fi chipset driver at the moment. No one is being intentionally kept in the dark, but I want to make sure what I have to say is useful, and I don't think running through every aspect of debugging we are doing is so. More info as soon as I can get it.
Established Member
Kudos: 195
Solutions: 8

Hi @UBNT-SNK et al,

Well worded   Best answer yet!

Thank you.  Look forward to the fix.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

"Found the problem! It was the interface between the seat and the keyboard."
Ubiquiti Employee

I wouldnt discount this communities abiltiy to dig through technical nuance and to make decisions based on data.  Any information provided can only serve to help us with making decisions about our companies and what it will take to keep our customers happy with a solid QoE. I think many of us have stopped deploying more ACBs but are also looking at the hundreds that have been deployed on our networks and scratching our heads as to whether we need to replace these units as well (huge undertaking for many of us). 

With good reason I would return to using the devices if they can prove themselves with a solid firmware and I am super grateful for the insight provided here.  Bear in mind any information at all is vastly better than none, even if it's "hey we did x and y and didnt get a fix with it so its not an issue with z".  We arent 1 time consumers but are buying hardware in bulk with outlooks to purchase units over the course of months and years, this can only be done reasonably with data and not when its broken over months of silence.

Established Member
Kudos: 321
Solutions: 3

I'm having this issue on Amplifi...are the firmwares related?

Ubiquiti Employee

No, they are not.