SuperUser
Kudos: 11106
Solutions: 686
Contributions: 1

Re: airCube closed beta

What some people seem to fail to realize here is it's not likely this is a hardware problem.   I'm betting it's an issue with specific wireless devices which is why it appears to be random - some people see problems, some don't.   UBNT has seen this before in other product lines, and it can be really hard to track down - Apple devices are especially problematic in many cases.   So that's why the "closed Beta" - to gather information from a wider group of users to lead to a solution to the issues.   I seriously doubt that replacing the hardware will "fix" a problem that you are having - the hardware is pretty well proven over quite a long time now.   It's the corner cases of devices beyond UBNT's direct control that cause the most problems - I remember a bunch of issues with some early UniFi gear too...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)
SuperUser
Kudos: 1841
Solutions: 58

Ubiquiti already explained that it's buggy kernel code. "The team has identified issues around receive interrupt handling and other related areas"... It's obviously not bad hardware. It's not like Ubiquiti is designing the chips from scratch. It's not like Ubiquiti hasn't designed this basic unit a hundred times already across their company.

I think this is pretty simple. We continue to deploy up to a dozen airCubes every day. I use them in several places myself. Our customers simply don't notice connection issues, at least not that I am aware of. When we get the new firmware, it will be better. I'm still wondering why Ubiquiti did yet another completely separate OS for these units instead of keeping it within the AmpliFi family. Why should interrupt handling have to be invented yet again? Isn't this the same chipset as AmpliFi ? Or at least within the same driver family? Whatever. It's annoying, but not the end of the world. As you can see, Ubiquiti is capable of finding and correcting the problem.

How they manage their software teams and make some of these decisions is maybe an area for improvement. After all, this product has been out to customers for what, a year now?

Software is hard, as is evident by the fact that LTU hardware is ready and the software is a bitch. Really good software talent is also hard to find.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

I can confirm from our team that this is not a hardware issue.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 11

We are seeing this issue with people with Iphones who have done the latest update on their iphone.  Can we be part of the closed beta as well, we have over a hundered units in the field.

For those who are in the beta, is there any progress? I would like to be added if possible.

I read somewhere on here that there would be an open beta soon. I have just this week to decide whether to go ahead with a large deployment of these.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 17

Is this issue effecting all firmware versions of aircube?

Also, is it effecting both the ISP and AC models?

Kudos: 158
Solutions: 27

[ Edited ]

@WiFiMeshGuy wrote:

Is this issue effecting all firmware versions of aircube?

Also, is it effecting both the ISP and AC models?

I noticed the problem starting with version 2.0.

Yes, it effects both hardware versions.

@UBNT-SNK wrote:

Is it possible to order those and install a firmware version previous to 2.0 where the issues seemed to arise on any cubes I have problems with?

I am coming down to needing to order something this week. Thinking about going Amplifi or hAP, but I trust UBNT will resolve whatever is going on. Just hate to deploy hundreds of them and to spend all my time on support calls with issues that aren't currently resolvable.

From reading it seems to mostly affect iPhones, and there are a lot across the user base. So if a previous firmware version (even with limited features) is a potential short term fix I would like to proceed.

SuperUser
Kudos: 1841
Solutions: 58

We sell a ton of these and I have only heard a few people say they had any trouble. But I totally understand that I may not be hearing everything. We sell several of these in a day! Is there any simple way to obviously reproduce the issues? Specific devices? Specific actions?

airCube closed beta --- Any progress???

How about some status on this issue?  Many of us were expecting to be added to the closed beta.  I have not been added yet.  Is there any news on this?  How is the beta going?  Any progress???  Do you have a solution?  The issue is to a point that it is impacting my business and credibility.

Ubiquiti Employee

Re: airCube closed beta --- Any progress???

@wknudsen my apologies for the delay, I am adding you to the closed beta now. As for a status update, our investigation is progressing as we dig deeper into the kernel code and its interrupt handling mechanisms. We are able to reproduce the issue and are exploring both a workaround and fundamental fix. I should know more by the end of the week.
Kudos: 1

@UBNT-SNK Can I be added to the closed beta too?

@UBNT-SNK please add me as a closed beta tester also

Kudos: 4

Any chance we could get on this closed Beta?

Kudos: 5

if there's still room, i would like the beta as well.

i didnt have much issues, but recently i started noticing exactly 1 of my google home mini's constantly disconnecting.

one is the european version (0 issues) the other the US version.

i feel like google changed something, because at first neither one had issues, but now the US version does and every time i set it up again i get the message this mini was made for another country (strangely, i never had that message when i set it up originally)

however when i reconnect it, it functions for like a day and then it disconnects again and everything repeats.

Established Member
Kudos: 50

@highga1n wrote:

@UBNT-SNK wrote:

Is it possible to order those and install a firmware version previous to 2.0 where the issues seemed to arise on any cubes I have problems with?

This problem exists on all firmware versions.

Kudos: 3

Hello. We have 98 of these deployed and have been waiting for a LONG time for a new firmware to patch these issues.

We have had to start removing them and installing MikroTik HAP's to appease some customers...

Can we please please have access to this so I can test it in the field?

TIA

Kudos: 4

We’re in the same situation, we’ve got 60+ AirCubes deployed on our network and we’re getting calls every day from customers complaing about WiFi dropping out.

We’re having to replace them with Mikrotik hAPs to retain customers.

Could we please get this beta firmware or an at least an ETA on a general release.

Kudos: 26

I feel your pain...we have just deployed a FTTH network with Aircube's for the lower users...going to have to start pulling them as this is making the fibre look bad and starting to become a major major problem. Can't just keep dragging clients along with no resolution in sight. 

Can anyone confirm that this problem is actually fixable or at least give an indication if the closed beta is making progress with people actually seeing an improvement? Right now this is bordering on a disaster 

Ubiquiti Employee

To date the closed beta has not prevented this issue from happening, but has given us a lot more information as to where the problem is. We are looking to release an open beta with a solid fix within the next couple of weeks, and I will have another update near the end of this week.