Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2009
Solutions: 306

Re: airCube - progress update

Guys, thanks for all the feedback here:

@Orangetek I haven't been able to reproduce the original issue on this build. Can you describe what you saw?

@RonnySA Can you describe what you are seeing here?

@SLS-Ian I think smart TVs are a red herring here, but any support files you can generate would be helpful.

@njxc500 What issues have you seen?

@iLevac I can't speak for Josh, but I am not aware of any confirmed 5 GHz issues with the latest open beta release. We will investigate that.

@rebelwireless I understand your frustration with this issue, and this issue is still the airCube team's top priority. We have not reproduced the issue on the latest open beta release, and are continuing to develop the fix beyond its current state so it can be formally released. I would be happy to exchange the two units you say got bricked and would appreciate any support files you are able to get from your units in the field as we continue to work on this.

Everyone, you can post in this thread or the other one - we just want to hear all of your feedback as we continue to resolve the issues with airCube. I appreciate that this issue has been dragging on for several of you, and I also want to get it behind us as badly as all of you do. As I have mentioned above, the team and myself have not managed to reproduce this issue on the latest open beta; if you are able to do so, any support files you have will be very useful and help us get this resolved quicker. This is the top priority issue for the entire airCube team and we are well-aware of the urgency and of the frustration around it. We are doing everything we can to get this fully fixed and thank you for your continued patience.
Established Member
Kudos: 457
Solutions: 12

With the latest 2.4.1dev I completely lose one ISP AC.

It disapear in UNMS and didn't broadcast any wifi network anymore.

After a reboot it connect to UNMS for like 5 minutes and then died.

I tried to rollback to 2.4.0 but UNMS won't let me.

Regards,

iLevac

Ubiquiti Employee

@iLevac do you have access to this unit?
Established Member
Kudos: 457
Solutions: 12

@UBNT-SNK wrote:
@iLevacdo you have access to this unit?

I don't it didn't stay online enough time.

Once the client will be home he will hard restart the cube, we will see if that solve the issue.

If it don't we will replace the unit.

I keep you posted

Kudos: 345
Solutions: 14

Why SmartTVs might be a red herring...

My boss has a little studio upstairs that he ran an Ethernet cable up to.  Due to where the cable ended up, he has to use WiFi in the studio to get to his computer and his 4K TV.  He had a problem repeatedly where he would be watching streaming media on the TV and after a while it would complain that there was not enough bandwidth to continue streaming.  He would then turn around to his computer and run a speedtest out to the Internet and get 80+Mbps, so obviously there was not a shortage of bandwidth.  Eventually he figured out that when the error occurred on the TV, what he needed to do was unplug the TV from AC power, wait 15 seconds, and then plug the TV back in.  This corrects the problem for him every time, for a while.  Turning the TV off with it's power button was not enough.

Note: His router is an old MikroTik, so this problem is completely unrelated to the AirCube.

Watch out for those devilish fish out there meddling with your test results.

Dreams never hurt. It's when they turn into expectations that you get problems.
Ubiquiti Employee

@iLevac Ok, let me know.

@RavenWing71 Interesting, do you remember which brand?
Veteran Member
Kudos: 1860
Solutions: 138

@RavenWing71 wrote:

Why SmartTVs might be a red herring...

My boss has a little studio upstairs that he ran an Ethernet cable up to.  Due to where the cable ended up, he has to use WiFi in the studio to get to his computer and his 4K TV.  He had a problem repeatedly where he would be watching streaming media on the TV and after a while it would complain that there was not enough bandwidth to continue streaming.  He would then turn around to his computer and run a speedtest out to the Internet and get 80+Mbps, so obviously there was not a shortage of bandwidth.  Eventually he figured out that when the error occurred on the TV, what he needed to do was unplug the TV from AC power, wait 15 seconds, and then plug the TV back in.  This corrects the problem for him every time, for a while.  Turning the TV off with it's power button was not enough.

To wit, https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/01/smart-tvs-are-dumb/581059/

Kudos: 345
Solutions: 14

@UBNT-SNK wrote:
@iLevacOk, let me know.

@RavenWing71Interesting, do you remember which brand?

Hisense...  A Wal-Mart special

Dreams never hurt. It's when they turn into expectations that you get problems.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 28

Hi @UBNT-SNK . Thanks for taking all the heat.

We haven't see an acceleration of trouble calls since we snuck in the dev firmware.

Our scope is small, 50 ISP cubes.

We're still hanging in there to give you steady results wherever it goes.

Kudos: 168
Solutions: 2

@UBNT-SNK 

Running 2.4.1 on a handful of ACBs, don't notice any problems, never noticed any problems with 2.4.0 either. VDSL/FISP/WISP.

Ubiquiti Employee

@RavenWing71 noted, thanks.

@FTNET-Dane when you say you haven't seen an acceleration of trouble calls, does that mean you haven't had any since installing the beta?

@mWare Great, thanks.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 28

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-SNK To be a more specific for you:

We deployed around 70 AirCube ISPs. Approx 20 of them had chronic problems, so we swapped those out with another brand as the trouble reports came in. We were pulling at straws, so we disconnected them all from unms, just in case the unms agent was making them unstable (previous memory leak in unms agent / ptsd). The 50 or so remaining AirCubes we had out there, were either operating stable, or customers weren't reporting issues. 

(Some time passes, about a month)

2.4.1dev firmware comes out, so we re-connect the remaining in-service aircubes to unms, and update their firmware. No trouble tickets came in after we did this, however these devices were already operating stable before.

So, basically the dev firmware didn't make anything worse for us, which is great. We still have to test the dev firmware on the AirCube-ISP units we pulled that were "chronic offenders".  We've been pretty busy, but I've asked all our techs to try the dev firmware on the units that got pulled out to see if it has an affect.

hth

Ubiquiti Employee

Got it. Well, when you do redeploy those units, let me know how it goes.
Kudos: 1

I installed the 2.4.1 dev beta and I'm still seeing the issue.  It took about 2-3 days and my devices started reporting no access to the Internet.  

I really hate to say this, but you're about to make me pull out my old Netgear routers and put them back in to service.  Not sure I can forgive you if I have to do that... Man Happy

Ubiquiti Employee

@kd5dbl To make sure we are talking about the same thing, what happened?
Kudos: 1

Basically, installed the 2.4.1 dev firmware and moved a few devices over to the AirCube for testing.

Everything seemed fine at first, but about 2 days later, all the devices start reporting they don't have access to the internet.  Move them off the AirCube to another access point and everything is fine. I move them back to the AirCube and everything is fine for a few days and then they all report no internet access even though they are still connectied to the AirCube.

In short, it's still doing the same thing for me on the 2.4.0 firmware, except the time to fail seems to be longer.  On the 2.4.0 firmware, I had devices reporting no access in hours after attaching to the AirCube..

SuperUser
Kudos: 1841
Solutions: 58

I upgraded a number of airCubes to the recent 2.4.1-devel image, somewhere around 300 of them by now. I upgraded one of the early beta AC units went from 2.2.0 to 2.4.1-devel and had ethernet issues. I would reboot the airCube AC and the ethernet would come up disconnected. Upon physically disconnecting and re-connecting the cable between the POE and airCube WAN, it might come up again. It might not. I swapped the airCube AC with a new unit and it worked properly again. 

This airCube AC was on a 300ft cable run, through POE, to the outdoor radio. Perhaps tweaks in the ethernet chip DSP handling between 2.2.0 and 2.4.1-devel might have brought out the issue here, I suppose. If anyone wants to see this airCube AC i'd be happy to send it over. Downgrade from 2.4.1-devel to 2.4.0 has the same results as 2.4.1-devel, as well.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2701
Solutions: 39

I've updated about a dozen AC-ISP and they have been fine.  I did 5 ACAC and bricked 3 of them.

SuperUser
Kudos: 1841
Solutions: 58

What version did you upgrade from which bricked?

Highlighted
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2701
Solutions: 39

2.4 > 2.4.1-Devel