Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2009
Solutions: 306

Re: airCube - progress update

The closed beta is ongoing, and seems to be an improvement. At the same time, we are looking at an open beta in the first week of the new year which is intended to contain a complete fix. More information as I have it.
Kudos: 3

Are you still on track for open Beta this week?

Ubiquiti Employee

I should have an update at the end of this week.
Ubiquiti Employee

Ok, the current update is we are continuing to investigate interrupt handling and watchdog operation as a permanent fix to this issue. Some of the team is away this week and will return next week, so we are targeting an open beta for next week or the week after. More information as I get it, and thanks for your continued patience; this is a more complex issue than it may seem on the surface, and we want to make sure it's fixed properly.
Kudos: 5

@UBNT-SNKas i asked in the closed beta topic, would it be possible to get a copy of the current beta firmware?
my home aircube started to display the same issues with 1 of the google home minis and its driving me crazy....

Ubiquiti Employee

I'll add you to the closed beta, but if you see an issue with only one device it's unlikely to be the one we are investigating. What happens?
Kudos: 5

i notice the issues on my personal aircube (under the motto, always buy only 1 until its proven itself).

issue 1: random mac changes (as per a topic i opened about this)

issue 2: random disconnects from a google home which loses its connection without any quantifiable reason (and since there is no ssh to the cube, we cant just log in and look at logfiles

so far those are the only 2 (noticably annoying) problems

If its going to be 2-3 weeks can I get on the closed Beta as well please.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 14
Solutions: 3

@UBNT-SNK

Can you add me to the closed beta.....I'd like to resolve this sooner than later.

Kudos: 186
Solutions: 4

We have over a dozen customers experiencing the issue, we've confirmed with many of them that they have Apple Devices and while we were willing to wait for the BETA release if you're talking another 2 to 3 weeks we'd like to be added to the closed BETA so that we can update some of these customers and see if it helps them in the short term - or at the very least helps us show them we are working toward a resolution.

@UBNT-SNK

@UBNT-SNK

Can we be added to this please? A lot of angry customers and support staff!

Thanks,

Steven

@UBNT-SNK

Can you please add us to the closed Beta for the current airCube WiFi issue.

Really hoping to avoid needing to pull the airCubes currently deployed and or pulling the devices completely from the current roll-out plan :/

We have a number of clients experiencing the issue. We have found that the common factor amoung our clients is a wireless connected smart TV. In most cases but not all the clients have either iPads or AppleTVs connected as well.

Kind regards

Ubiquiti Employee

I will add you all to the closed beta shortly.
Kudos: 9

Hope you get around to fixing recent problems soon.

Just looked at the feature roadmap post from last year and actual progress and getting a bit disheartened.

Please give us IPv6 in Q1 2019!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 1

can be added?
Ubiquiti Employee

I'll post an updated feature roadmap as soon as we get these issues cleared. I don't want to commit to dates we cannot deliver.

HI 

Kudos: 77

If the aircube firmware is indeed derived from software licensed under the GPL as it appears to be, but Ubiquiti does not seem to currently respect the terms of the license, they would currently have no valid right to distribute firmware binaries, whether it is a beta version or not.

SuperUser
Kudos: 1841
Solutions: 58

You would think that a publicly traded company with lots of sales would be a big target for lawsuits from copyright holders. Maybe your interpretation of the GPLv2 is not correct?

Kudos: 77

Of course "you would think" and I also would have thought, but it doesn't appear to be so.

If you read the GPLv2 (which is quite clear, specifically section 3) and the materials you got with the airCube (packaging, Quick Start Guide, etc..), can you find the complete corresponding machine-readable source code or a clear written offer to obtain it anywhere ? I can't, and the UBNT staff I've asked hasn't answered the question so far either.

I've formally requested source code last week and they have essentially been saying "we're working on it", but I haven't received anything yet, and they are still distributing firmware binaries without corresponding source.

Marc