Kudos: 40
Solutions: 5

guest / hotspot ssid bridged on a external vlan

Hey ubiquiti,

Will the guest / hotspot wifi be bridgeable to external vlan. Right now were migrating from mikrotik client routers with this kind of setup, we would like to be able to do this again on the aircubes, its like isp hotspot that are common here in the netherlands. We right now got a mikrotik cloud core with the hotspot manager doing that for vlan200 on the external side of the client router we bridge the hotspot interface to vlan200 aswell this creates a roaming like network. We would really like this on the aircubes

Re: guest / hotspot ssid bridged on a external vlan

Anything you can comment @UBNT-SNK

Veteran Member
Kudos: 784
Solutions: 23

it sounds like you need the unifi line

Aircube has a long way to go

@900mhzdude if only that were true, the problem is this, the client has there own internet on there router with there own public ip the router uses pppoe to login to it its like this

Aircube <-WAN-> VLAN1000(PPPOE), VLAN200(HOTSPOT);

SSID <-LAN-> br0(internal network with nat)

SSID <-HOTSPOT-> brX (bridged to VLAN200 on the wan interface)

this is so that the Hotspot users can never get into the clients network, and they get firewalled and queued and then they login using there customer account. so basicly its like when your not home you still have a network available if your friend for example also has internet from us, its quite regular here in the netherlands all ISPs are doing it. it would be awesome if the aircube could do it too, but as there is no SSH or other way to change what the router does its impossible unless they include it.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

Thanks for the feedback, let me think about this one a little.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2701
Solutions: 39

@UBNT-SNK - I think this is 2 features.

1) Typical guest network, everyone else has one and it's a sorely missed feature

2) ISP WiFi - Bridged to a VLAN on the WAN interface to allow for a) Tech WiFi access without getting on the customer's network and/or b) RADIUS based 'provider wifi' like Comcast where you can login at any visible 'wISP WiFi' SSID you can find with your standard login credentials.

I think 1 is the main priority here, just to get near feature parity with standard routers.  2 would be fantastic *but* would also need to come with an accompanying exemption from CPE shaping for that VLAN.  IE, UCRM shapes on the CPE but ignores the VLAN traffic.

Ubiquiti Employee

Yes, 1 is on the list. 2 I'm not so convinced by compared to other features, but I can certainly see the use case.

We would already be pleased without traficshaping as in our use cases we do this at the edge core, radius would be a bonus but for us having wpa like normal wifi would do as we place it at appartment complexes were its used by people living there and our technicians and the technical maintainance staff, right now we still use the mikrotik as CPE which supports this setup very well i just hope this ones can do that too

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2701
Solutions: 39

@UBNT-SNK wrote:
Yes, 1 is on the list. 2 I'm not so convinced by compared to other features, but I can certainly see the use case.

I think 2 will be a moderaly popular option (do a poll maybe?) but there are other things that are higher priority I think.  

Hi any update on the Guest network option ... its a big request from our customers

Ubiquiti Employee