Kudos: 9

unbox and connect

I'm trying to work out a way of getting an AirCube installed and connected to UNMS without going to the customer's home.

Just courrier them the device and tell them to plug WAN port into fibre box. Done.

1st prize would actually be to have a sticker over all the other ports so people can't screw that up.

AirCube gets DHCP IP.

How could I instuct the AirCube to join our UNMS without the customer needing to do anything?

Maybe have some API on the device so we can send it UNMS info?

Maybe I can send UNMS info via DHCP?

Kudos: 13

Re: unbox and connect

Give UNMS the MAC address so when it comes online it can issue it a key, then authorize as usual?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 512
Solutions: 166

You should be able to login to the device and give it the UNMS key before sending it to the customer.

Once online, it will show up in UNMS as a new device ready to authorized.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Veteran Member
Kudos: 784
Solutions: 23

[ Edited ]

Definity make a config file that has your standard setup

you can add the UNMS key in the config file as long as its the generic key

( MAKE SURE NOT ROUTE TO UNMS WHEN MAKING THE CONFIG FILE OR THE UNMS KEY WILL CONFLICT)

Upgrade firmware in AirCube upload said config hand to the customer

And I 100 % agree the barcode scan thing is the most retarded router setup I have ever seen

I have no clue why UBNT would make this 2000 times harder to set up than an Amplifi Cube 

The Aircube is designed to be wal-mart buyer idiot proof but this is called AirCube "ISP" not AirCube "wal-mart")

for an ISP product to have  consumer setup steps is the most annoying thing about the aircube

UBNT's new Business model is being  Dr Evil " All our customers are **** idiots "  is starting to really get annoying 

Hi.

The point here is to ship the aircube to the customer without opening the box.

We currently open the box, pre-configure, send to customer. That works, but it would be much easier if the aircube just connected to unms after you take it out of the box.

I'm looking for ways to scale, need to get to 100s of installs per month - nobody want to sit and click around buttons in a GUI.

Agreed, that QR code process is not useful.

If the aircube could understand some instructions to get on to unms via DHCP that would be amazing!

ps. and it should really have IPv6 support by now.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 784
Solutions: 23

Ah, 

So what you are asking is,

if UNMS can automatically load the Config as a boot file over dhcp option 67 to an AirCube

this is not yet supported, Also UNMS would need a path to the Aircube .. how would it know that unless you tell it where your server is?

do you not load Config Files to your CPE's?

A different option for this would be the Unifi line with a Controller at a public IP 

then all you would need to do is adopt it to the controller and it will pull the config  to the wifi router

you might be able to write some type of cron job to point unifi gear to the server.

that is where the major issue is how do you expect a UBNT product from factory to automatically phone home to only your server

and not everyone?

I think your best bet is to update firmware and load config file soon as shipping gets them to your company

[ Edited ]

This looks interesting:

UniFi - Device Adoption Methods for Remote UniFi Controllers

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204909754-UniFi-Device-Adoption-Methods-for-Remote-UniFi-Con...

It seems the Unifi devices are smart enough to get their controller IP via DHCP option 43.

I need this to be supported by the Aircubes please, and to work on the WAN interface by default (maybe there can be a setting to switch this off).

Ideally we'd also need a way to do this with DHCPv6 and send IPv6 address of UNMS.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

We are discussing internally how to improve this using UNMS.
Kudos: 39
Solutions: 1

What would be really cool is a 3rd party "provisioning" server housed by ubnt. I have a vendor for SIP phones that does something similar to this. 

make like aircube.ubnt.com <- clients log in and register their MAC addresses.

On boot of a factoried device it calls out to your server, then it takes its settings from you (in this case it can be just the unms string, but could be used to force firmware, cfg files, custom settings) 

I am aware there is alot more to this but it essentially gets rid of the need to use dhcp option 43 and can be universal across all platforms. Also would make the handling of aircubes for people who deal with them in bulk so much easier.

Just a suggestion

Ronn

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1860
Solutions: 138

Better to keep the provisioning server inside the ISP's network IMO.  Many of us block external access to unprovisioned/unknown devices.  A DHCP option would be one way, but it could be as simple as concatenating a designated hostname (e.g. aircube) to the DHCP-assigned domain name.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2008
Solutions: 306

I'd agree with keeping this inside the ISP's network for the majority of cases.