Highlighted
SuperUser
Kudos: 1781
Solutions: 58

Cambium LTE vs Ubiquiti LTU

On a thread here recently, someone asked why doesn't Ubiquiti simply adopt an LTE based chipset, instead of developing its own. After all, Cambium is doing it!

You have to ask, why is Cambium using LTE? 

It's because they lack ingenuity, creativity, and forward-looking intelligence.

They didn't spend the money or the time to develop something of their own, and now it's too late.

Out of Ubiquiti and Cambium, only one of these companies is looking to build low-cost hardware.

Cambium is essentially happy being a niche player that will always sell expensive gear. The cost per-unit for LTE chipsets puts it out of the park for Ubiquiti's low price.

Established Member
Kudos: 439
Solutions: 6

Re: Cambium LTE vs Ubiquiti LTU

@twinkletoes wrote: 

They didn't spend the money or the time to develop something of their own, and now it's too late.

Are you kidding with us all here ?

https://www.cambiumnetworks.com/products/pmp-distribution/pmp-450m/

If a 14x14 MU-MIMO radio which is capable of transmitting 400+Mbit/s throuput in a 20mhz channel is not creative and intelligent enough for you, than I wonder what is. 

SuperUser
Kudos: 1781
Solutions: 58

Has Cambium turned that into an ASIC that they can mass produce for a buck or two each?

Have they priced it in such a way that it makes sense for the vast majority of providers?

And is MU-MIMO even a technology that providers can use efficiently in a majority of outdoor tower site deployments?

The answers are obvious. Only one company here is working towards making you profit as a WISP.

SuperUser
Kudos: 8862
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 2

@doush wrote:

@twinkletoes wrote: 

Are you kidding with us all here ?

https://www.cambiumnetworks.com/products/pmp-distribution/pmp-450m/

If a 14x14 MU-MIMO radio which is capable of transmitting 400+Mbit/s throuput in a 20mhz channel is not creative and intelligent enough for you, than I wonder what is. 

Ummm, read the specs.   What SNR is required for 8X?    32 dBm.   LTU Gets 10X with WAY less dBm.   You can try and force all the low modulation MU-MIMO you want, but LTU will still turn circles around it because it designed to achieve much, much higher modulations speeds with the same signals.    The 1.2 gig and 550Mbps are all based on outdoor lab conditions 11ft away.  What happens in real life deployments?   Who gets 32dBM in real life??

This is just a manufacturer trying to squeeze anything it can out of a lousy chip design that needs 32dBm for 8X.  

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Established Member
Kudos: 439
Solutions: 6

[ Edited ]

@twinkletoes wrote:

Has Cambium turned that into an ASIC that they can mass produce for a buck or two each?

Have they priced it in such a way that it makes sense for the vast majority of providers?

And is MU-MIMO even a technology that providers can use efficiently in a majority of outdoor tower site deployments?

The answers are obvious. Only one company here is working towards making you profit as a WISP.

Yes and I agree about all these except MU-MIMO.
We were the early alpha testers of Airbeam (UBNT beamforming MIMO product which never got released) and it worked wonders.
I believe MU-MIMO with beamforming will work much better.

But again, saying they lack ingenuity and creativity is completely wrong given their technological skills to make such products and pricing is not related to it.

Kudos: 20
Solutions: 1

LTE and LTU are completely different animals serving very different needs to very different customers. You simply cannot compare them. If you have access to licensed 2.5GHz or 3GHz spectrum your WISP-friendly hardware options are very limited and/or extremely complex to deploy. For operators that have access to this spectrum, Cambium LTE couldn't come soon enough and is being priced much lower then other 8x8 CA LTE rel 12+ systems. Along with developing their own CAT4 and CAT6 UE's, it will be fully compatible with 3rd party UE's, which in turn will drive the pricing for fixed UE's down even more. Furthermore, I think Cambium's spin on LTE is quite innovative if you've ever worked with LTE and understand its limitations and complexity. They're taking all the things WISP's really need (bridging, L3 options, monitoring and mangement tools, spectrum analyzer, integrated EPC core, free firmware updates, etc) and baking it into an advanced LTE platform at a lower cost then competing systems.

In regards to 450 I think Cambium has done a great job with their FPGA's and has provided great long term protection of investment on that platform, continually refining, optimizing, adding features, new bands, tons of frame and sync options, etc. all while retaining 100% compatibility between major AP technology advances. We have PMP450 SM's that we haven't touched in 5+ years and have gone from PMP450, to PMP450i and now PMP450m at the AP, each step increasing aggregate capacity by a noticeable margin. Another cool thing you'll be able to do due to the FPGA design is reflash the 450m 3GHz AP to be used as an 8x8 RRU for LTE... again, something you could never do with an ASIC.

MU-MIMO does work in the field... it's used all over the world. I use it and know many others that use it in the WISP space and in carrier space. To say "MU-MIMO even a technology that providers can use efficiently in a majority of outdoor tower site deployments?" is a completely ignorant statement.

Until LTU's PtMP capabilities are open to the public there's not a lot that can be argued or compared... it's all just rumor and speculation at this point. Ubiquiti has been very tight lipped about any other band plans for LTU and there's no road map along with continual PtMP release delays. This does not inspire consumer confidence.

Emerging Member
Kudos: 18

Medusa is expensive but it is a great hardware we use it to sell 100 Mb/s with +100 CPE per AP @30 MHz the only big technical problem is to find free spectrum due to wide 90° antenna.

We are waiting for Ubiquiti LTU to use it with narrower antenna 10° to 20° in crowled areas.

Lets get this straight, The airfiber protocol is amazing.  The modulation rates are excellent and spectral eficiency (per channel) is unmatched.  Unfortunately, the only new radios we have gotten for a long time have been 2*2 HDD radios.  The airfiber 5 from 5 years? ago still has higher spectral efficiency due to FDD.  If UBNT would release an FDD LTU radio it would completely change the backhual market.  Up to 2.4gbps(50/50 only, I know) on 100mhz with full band support and better filtering, sounds like a dream come true to me.

As far as ptmp goes, I believe that cambium is claiming 1200mbps on thier new 4*4 epmp 3000 ap (I belive that is 80mhz).  If that is even close to real world results, it will be very competative with LTU ptmp.  They also claim 120 clients without significant performance degregation(probably bs) and the CPEs are already available from my supplier for under $150.  I don't know what LTU cpes will cost but I am guessing that it will be more.  I also remember hearing that the client limit will be lower than airmax, which doesn't bode well.  We'll have to wait, on both to be released, but without mare streams, I don't know if LTU will be able to keep up.