Highlighted
Kudos: 1

Can I use mgm port for data port on AF 5X-HD?

Hello.
I broke my data port and want to use mgm port for data port, but I see they are configured in different bridges.
Is this a problem and can somehow change the bridges?

Thank you.

SuperUser
Kudos: 8503
Solutions: 586
Contributions: 2

Re: Can I use mgm port for data port on AF 5X-HD?

You currently can not do this.  The current firmware can not support using the management port for data. 

What happened to the data port ?

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Kudos: 1

When pulling out the ftp cable, the co-worker uses more force and breaks off the motherboard.20180416_143038.jpg20180416_143045.jpg20180416_143104.jpg20180416_143132.jpg20180416_172417.jpg

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 295
Solutions: 30

@ganja_breed can you reach out to me via email alex@ubnt.com

Thanks!

Kudos: 271
Solutions: 6

@ClaudeSS wrote:

You currently can not do this.  The current firmware can not support using the management port for data. 

This was supported in a early version of the firmware.

Any idea if it's coming back in the future?

Hoping it does as it's a powerful feature.

SuperUser

The hardware could support it, but I think the priority is release PTMP right now.  

Kudos: 493
Solutions: 18

Thank you for the detailed pics @ganja_breed .

I would have bet money that the tiny tabs in the RJ-45 that hook the barb clip of the plug should have broken before the two solder joints on the outer shield. They are acting like cold solder joints. I get the feeling they will be pursuing this with manufacturing QC.

Best Regards ... Joe

If the communication industry had been built on the backs of yes-men,
we would be submitting our forum posts at the telegraph office in town.
Kudos: 3

happened to me as well...

those connectors are flimsy "A.F.", excuse the pun.

af5xhd-fu.PNG
SuperUser
Kudos: 10090
Solutions: 615
Contributions: 1

I'm really surprised by this - was working with someone today who had a management port jack come loose on an AF-X (not HD).   I've never had one do this.   I know RoHS solder is junk compared to the old PB-SN in a lot of ways, but the pictures look like the problem is that the round posts on the jack are not being held securely enough to the PCB - the circuit traces should never be relied on for this.    Not sure what the answer is here...

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)

you are right eejimm.

we used a cat6 patchlead (linkbasic) from the poe to the radio, they sit as if they are getting paid for it.

once it clicked in there that jack was not getting out of there ever...

to avoid breaking it off i started to demolished the rj45 jack bit by bit with a sidecutter to try and avoid the inevitable.

it didn't take force for this part to come loose, barely touched it.

just have to mention that just prior to setting up this radio i've used the exact same patchlead to setup a rocketm5, no sweat.

those m5 units, although plastic, are built like tanks compared to these flimsy pcboards.

the management port does support poe, i've tested it, so if the management port can be "replace" the data port i'm good to go.

[ Edited ]

About 6-12 months ago, we started having problems where several NSLM5 would lose connection on the orange (data) pair. We were using official ToughCable & connectors which had worked fine up until then.  In our case, EZ-connectors seemed to work fine to get around that problem.

Then, AF-5X users started seeing that problem, eventually UBNT-Chuck told those users that as a bypass, cables going into those radios needed to be perfectly straight and externally zip-tied.  He said the final fix was to permanently ban that RJ-45 jack supplier and use a different supplier.

The only thing I can guess @eejimm is that the footprint of the new vendor jacks is slightly different than the PC manufacturing mask that was possibly designed with the previous vendor specs.  Now the plastic barb posts on the bottom of the new jacks are not holding to the board solidly.

Maybe just fractions of a millimeter can turn into a very expensive pain in the field.

Best Regards ... Joe

and then people make fun of Mike Hammet for wanting this radio to have a sfp cage.

powerjack + sfp = problem solved, with optical isolation bonus.

you can even use the copper/sfp modules if you don't want to run fibre up the mast.

i don't see why such a product comes without sfp cages, the argument of "we don't need gigabit or 10gig" is nonsense,

there are numerous advantages of having a sfp cage / copper port combo as data port on these units.

SuperUser

I wish I wish I wish I could wave a Magic Wand and make Cat6 cable disappear from the face of the earth............

I use simple $1 each Cat5e STP jumpers or just terminate cat5e STP cable on installs and never have an issue with this at all.   Including on all the HDs we've put up.     And there's really zero reason to use Cat6 for something like this - these radios aren't capable of 10Gb so there's literally zero reason to use anything beyond Cat5e...

One customer we're doing some work with right now told us today they decided to buy and pull Cat6 cable "just in case" - now we're going to have to deal with more expensive connectors which take 3x as long to put on for absolutely no gain...

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)

@ibits wrote:

and then people make fun of Mike Hammet for wanting this radio to have a sfp cage.

you can even use the copper/sfp modules if you don't want to run fibre up the mast.

i don't see why such a product comes without sfp cages, the argument of "we don't need gigabit or 10gig" is nonsense,

there are numerous advantages of having a sfp cage / copper port combo as data port on these units.

I think that might make POE used in the majority of cases a little challenging. Man Wink

Depending on the QC of the parts vendor, the SFP jacks could have the same mounting issue.  I would have liked to see one of each on a two port radio....  But that is getting off topic of a possibly serious issue here.

Best Regards ... Joe

SuperUser

@ibits wrote:

But there were actual reasons with the radio design that forced this decision, partly fitting an SFP cage into the physical space, partly the issues with not having PoE being a problem for the majority of users.   And I don't remember beating up Mike about this - frankly all of these decisions are complex and have to deal with so many different choices and realities, it's impossible to understand until you do it yourself - I did years ago and swore I would never manufacture hardware again...

Jim

justjoe, have a look at the ignitenet metrolinq 2.5gbps radios for instance, they have a combo port with copper and a sfp cage.

and also you can power it with dc power physically from a dc powersource on the mast.

then if your patchlead get stuck like this you simply slide out the sfp and chuck the whole thing away.

i'd rather throw away the sfp module than breaking another 400+ bucks radio like this again.

Back then @eejimm  I don't think you had to worry about the 8-pin vacuum-tube jacks mounted to the steel chassis with a pair of 1/4-20 bolts going anywhere. You could just use a crowbar to get those out for replacement once every 200 hours. lol

Best Regards ... Joe

you are not one of the Mike bashers, but he has gotten some flack from various people in the past for that. but with all his ranting about it he does make some good points about it. ignitenet have done it, can't see why it can't be done on one of these units.
SuperUser

[ Edited ]

@ibits wrote:

happened to me as well...

those connectors are flimsy "A.F.", excuse the pun.

I actually broke off the management port of an HD trying to get an ethernet cable off during alpha testing.  At least it was the management so I could keep using the radio.    But I was pulling really, really hard.  Too hard. 

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2589
Solutions: 124

@ibits wrote:

This would be amazing... I quite like the form factor of some of the more "carrier" radios out there with 1x copper mgmt, 1x copper data (with PoE in), 2x SFP ports, and a DC terminal. Obviously a much larger form factor, but amazing from a flexibility standpoint, and from a plastics standpoint an EP-R6 isn't really that unwieldy...