Highlighted
Kudos: 1089
Solutions: 60

Ethernet Linking at 100mbps

[ Edited ]

We just setup our first LTU test backhaul, and the ethernet port keeps dropping to 100mbps on one end. Its about a 150' foot run.

Running the "Cable Test"  tool brings it back up to 1gbps for a day or so.

Data Cable CINR is +28db

I got hit pretty hard by the AF5X ethernet issue, so I'm a little frightened when I see an ethernet drop ...

Cat5's test fine, but we are going to re-run the entire cable tomorrow just to be safe.

Will report back after cable is replaced.

Kudos: 507
Solutions: 18

Re: Ethernet Linking at 100mbps

@WifimaxYou may find it useful to know that the AF-5XHD uses the exact same model Ethernet physical layer support chip and Ethernet transformer on both of its GigE interfaces that the AF-5X used on its GigE port.

Although they use a higher wattage zener / TVS and add nice poly-fuses for protection, those should not affect the Ethernet high frequency capabilities.

Seems that even from the M & AC generations, those chips historically required a lot of tuning in the support firmware.

Something useful to know might be the brand and model of the GigE device on the other end?

So far, no glitches for us, but have never gone over 50 foot cable either.

Best Regards ... Joe

If the communication industry had been built on the backs of yes-men,
we would be submitting our forum posts at the telegraph office in town.

@JustJoe good to know thanks for the info!

The other end is a Netonix WS-12-250A POE switch powering it at 48vh.

Also powering 2xAF5's, 6x5ghz Rocket Prisms, and 2x2.4ghz rocket prisms at 1gig full no hiccups.

Will be interesting to see what the guys find out tomorrow when they climb, will report back.

Kudos: 507
Solutions: 18

(ehem ... a little hacker kudo never hurts Man Wink )

Best Regards ... Joe

If the communication industry had been built on the backs of yes-men,
we would be submitting our forum posts at the telegraph office in town.
SuperUser
Kudos: 8872
Solutions: 594
Contributions: 2

In 7 months of testing the AF5X-HD, I've never had one go to 100m.   Have seen this on AF5X though. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 850
Solutions: 57

@Wifimax Please keep us closely updated on this issue.  The AF5X ethernet "problem" was limited to a specific vendor of ethernet connectors who changed their design without informing anyone in the process. Ubiquiti handled this using it's supply chain and I personally saw to it that these guys will never be used in one of our products again.

This ethernet interface is extensively tested across a wide range of operating conditions and terminated with many types of test/networking equipment using both short, medium and maximal length cables.

The ESD/surge and energy ratings on the XHD have also been greatly increased as well...

Gary

[ Edited ]

So tested cable, cable tested good... Everything visibly looked fine.

We ran a spare cable and hooked it up and we are now at 1Gbps ethernet link. The other one took about a day to drop to 100mbps.

1mile shot in a valley with 30dbi airfiber dishes+isobeams doing ~900Mbps aggregate so far, not too shabby.

Capture.PNG

@UBNT-Gary

So we swapped the management and data cables around on both ends, both have stayed at 1Gbps for 2 days now. Before it was flapping several times a day. Looks like just reseating the Cat5 did the trick.

Both fittings looked good, and tested good. Maybe it was seated funny?

I look forward to the day where I can plug both the ports in with power, and have full redundancy to alleviate events like this. 

Otherwise the HD is working like a champ.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 850
Solutions: 57

@Wifimax Thank you for the update.  I suppose it is possible that it was just not seated but please feel free to tell us if you continue seeing this.  Looks like a really nice link.  Glad it is working well.

Gary