Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

11FX in Canada :-)

by on ‎06-17-2017 07:55 AM

Hold on to your hats Canucks, the 11FX is now north  of the border Driving I would say hold onto your wallets, but the costs are brutal compared to the US licensing system, you will have to let go of your wallet, at least until the licensing review process plays out. 

Here is my 11Ghz IC diary . . .

Faint from sticker shock twice or three times at the license cost*, then after recovering find out its even worse.  You pay to license transmitter and receiver at each end ! aka four times way too much, that is if you license symmetric anyway, apparently asymmetric licensing is ok, so I'm teed up for 400Mbps down and 100Mbps up, don't think of it as costing three grand more than the US equivalent, think of it as saving twentyfive hundred clams by not going symmetric !

Want a bigger channel than forty mhz ?  Too bad, not allowed, suck it up buttercup.

The gear is not homologated to the Canadian market aka SRSP-310.7( http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf10414.html ) , it will perform to the spec, the IC operations just don't want to bother certifying gear apparently.  So you 'apply for a license' but you need a P. Eng. to sign off on the application, a friend of mine in civil engineering  looked at it and said 'nope, don't understand the risk exposure' and then he proceeded to select a probable winner from a list of Engineers that the local IC rep said may fit.

Now the cart is way out in front of the horse here, as you really need your frequency(s) selected before you start on licensing.  Head on over to https://sms-sgs.ic.gc.ca/frequencySearch/searchByGeographicArea/index?execution=e1s1&lang=en_CA for an exercise in research and patience**.  My specific dream group of links stems from a common NOC in a small city, this being the likely stumbling block for crowding I started with my search on a 10km radius across the whole spectrum.  After several false starts on larger areas this turned out to be good approach in that it enabled me to see quickly that there was one (!) clear 40 mhz block available.  I then commenced to search out to 150kms on my chosen block lower and upper to find any ( and hopefully all ) licensed users of said block.  Even in the middle of nowhere there are some users to contend with but mercifully I have tremendous geological shielding aka mountains intervening and likely no need to coordinate with the giants.

You can join an elite club for complete access to the coordination database system, but at 50 grand per year that membership is out of reach for small operators.  The FCSA will do coordination surveys for hire at $1050 per run

*License cost is proportional to the number of 64kbps (aka telephone voice ) channels that you transmit/receive,or roughly $3.59/Mbps (per end) !  Note these rates apply to any spectrum width you license, use a 10Mhz channel at 256QAM pay the same as a 40Mhz channel on QPSK  !  Why ? Because bleep you, that's why !

**The CSV download will work reasonably well if you uncheck the location name options, the use of commas in the addresses/place names throws evrything out of whack crippling any sorting or even scanning of data

The  dishfarm is coming along nicelyThe dishfarm is coming along nicely

One small step for a Canuck, one giant leap for backwoods Internet !One small step for a Canuck, one giant leap for backwoods Internet !

If you're not gaming online, you're just playing with yourself !
Comments
by
on ‎06-17-2017 08:35 AM

Kudos on you're perseverence on this - yes the IC "64kb" licensing thing is beyond silly, but it's legacy of the way Bell Canada did things way back when and unless you can get your MP to try to change it from within I don't see it changing any time soon...

Jim

by
on ‎06-17-2017 09:22 AM

You're lucky.... In most of Europe 11 GHz is no go.... We're still waiting for AF-10X. 10 GHz license is cheap and widely available. But still no UBNT gear :-(

by
‎06-17-2017 09:33 AM - edited ‎06-17-2017 08:44 PM

Without a doubt our FCC can be frustrating at times, but when I see stuff like what you're going through it makes me feel lucky.  Nice work!

License cost is proportional to the number of 64kbps (aka telephone voice ) channels that you transmit/receive,or roughly $3.59/Mbps (per end) !  Note these rates apply to any spectrum width you license, use a 10Mhz channel at 256QAM pay the same as a 40Mhz channel on QPSK

I can't believe how completely f*cked up that model is.  Zero incentive for spectrum efficiency!

But it's hackable:  License the widest channel you can at something like 4X (spectrum squatting) and wait for the rules to change.  Then crank up your radios to full modulation and fill the pipe.

by
on ‎06-17-2017 07:20 PM

How are you getting around the 4ft dish minimum? Or are you getting an excemption on the dish size? 11Ghz in Canada is 4ft min based on IC rules.

by
on ‎06-17-2017 09:44 PM

I don't see a four foot minium anywhere.  I do see some stringent f/b requirements, moreso in high congestion areas but nothing that mandates a dish size.

by
on ‎06-18-2017 04:39 PM

would you mind sharing what the P.Eng put together?   I have my stamp in Canada, I'm interested to see what is required on the drawings and analysis.

by
on ‎06-18-2017 08:34 PM

From what we have applied for the F/B is 70db min and the sidelobe is 1.5 deg. The AF-11 dish is 60db F/B and 2.5deg sidelobe. Did you apply for a special excemption? All P.Eng applications had to meet this requirement for 11ghz on our applications which meant a 4ft dish to meet these requirements.

by
on ‎06-18-2017 09:02 PM

Ahhhh, you must be in a 'high congestion' area.  Being in a less heavily populated area helps, you only need a 60dB f/b iirc.  I was a little surprised to start speccing out dushes and found the Jirous 680 and 900 mm units not up to spec, in a low density area though the 1200 is viable but then only when the neighborhood is not too crowded.

by
on ‎06-19-2017 11:42 AM

How can we partner to facilitate the licensing process of 11FX links in Canada?

by
on ‎06-19-2017 04:40 PM
How can we partner to facilitate the licensing process of 11FX links in Canada?

I'm not sure I understand the question Icon Razz  Are you offering engineering services ?Perhaps we should start anew thread in the AF section to discuss this ?