Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

AF11FX 11 mile link (w/pics)

by on ‎07-14-2017 04:08 PM

Hi all.  

Just finished with my link (from town to a hill top and then back down to the school I work at).  A few things to note.  Did the alignment as a one man show.  Adjust one best I could, went for a long hual up the mountain and adjusted the other.  Have yet to go back to the first and readjust...not sure I am going to get a better link though.  Other thing to note, inasmuch as I can achieve 10X and have the numbers say I get a 600+ capacity, when I would do speed tests it would max out at 300 Mbit up and down more or less.  When I capped it at 8X and bumped the conducted up a dbm, I get the following link.  When running a speed test on this configuration, I'm getting about 450+ down and up more or less.

Right now I'm happy with that and am not considering spending the time either on alignment or settings, not sure if our school will even hit the 400 mark of usage (when school is in session and during busy times, the most it hovers at is 60 mbps or so...with the occasional 120 peak).  That being said, if anyone has a very specific thing for me to try, sure, I'll give it a shot.

As you can see from one of the pics, I have on the right side the 11FX on the bottom, my 5X right above it (that's my back up....Comcast 180 down / 25 up).  On the left, I have an AF24HD pointing toward the school.  You can see some other stuff going on in the back ground, a 900, a sector, and another link above my 24.

Anyhow, a great product, great results, I got lucky with the FCC lisensed link due to being out in a rural area with no congestion, full 80...anybody want my left overs? (bad joke)

Link.jpg

20170713_175158.jpg20170713_185714.jpgIMG_7717.jpg

Comments
by
on ‎07-14-2017 05:29 PM

You have to license a full 80MHz? Why would the airfiber waste 24MHz you are paying for Confused5

by
on ‎07-14-2017 05:46 PM

Has nothing to do with wasting anything - the Invictus chip the radios are built on can only do 56MHz channel width, so you have to license 80MHz to use more than the FCC 40MHz channel - 2x 40MHz channels really.   The coming LTU chipset will be capable of 100MHz channels, so that may change things.   And in the EU 56MHz is the standard channel width, which is where that number came from.   I know it's shocking that the entire world isn't built around the US...  ;-)

Jim

by
on ‎07-15-2017 11:20 AM

Jim.  Did a little reading on the LTU chipset, but I think from one of your posts it is intended for improving PtMP.  Will it still improve a situation like mine PtP and utilize the full 100 mhz (or in my current case 80 mhz....I'll look into getting 20 more if possible)?

by
‎07-16-2017 03:15 AM - edited ‎07-16-2017 03:16 AM

@eejimm "And in the EU 56MHz is the standard channel width, which is where that number came from.   I know it's shocking that the entire world isn't built around the US...  ;-)"

We're not allowed to use 11 GHz in Europe as that band is reserved for satellite communication. That's why we are some that keeps asking for a 10 GHz version (AF-10FX).

"I know it's shocking that the entire world isn't built around the US...  ;-)"

It actually is ?!?!?! If it wasn't we would have seen an AF-10FX for long time ago and we would be able to buy upcoming products from the BETA store......

Please UBNT! We need 10 GHz AirFiber version.....

by
on ‎07-16-2017 03:16 AM
Thank you information, may be useful for information into my website http://www.lampungservice.com
by
on ‎07-16-2017 04:07 AM

@Groong  LTU will do PTP and PTMP.  In your case, using a 56mhz channel inside an 80mhz gives you better band edge rain fade allowances.  

But yes, LTU will allow full 80mhz channels in 11ghz. 

by
on ‎07-16-2017 06:10 AM

by jjonsson

@eejimm "And in the EU 56MHz is the standard channel width, which is where that number came from. I know it's shocking that the entire world isn't built around the US... ;-)"

We're not allowed to use 11 GHz in Europe as that band is reserved for satellite communication. That's why we are some that keeps asking for a 10 GHz version (AF-10FX).

"I know it's shocking that the entire world isn't built around the US... ;-)"
It actually is ?!?!?! If it wasn't we would have seen an AF-10FX for long time ago and we would be able to buy upcoming products from the BETA store......

Please UBNT! We need 10 GHz AirFiber version.....

I understand that, but the same chip is used in all AirFiber rados, so that's why it tops out at 56MHz.   And as Claude said, AF at 56MHz gives you better throughput and latency than other radios at 80MHz...

Jim

by
on ‎07-16-2017 05:46 PM

eejimm wrote:

I understand that, but the same chip is used in all AirFiber rados, so that's why it tops out at 56MHz.   And as Claude said, AF at 56MHz gives you better throughput and latency than other radios at 80MHz...

Oh come on you pair of ubnt fanboys that's not the point, if you are paying for a full 80MHz channel I want my radios to use all the spectrum I'm spending my money ¬¬

by
on ‎07-16-2017 06:41 PM

I hear ya Vicent_bn1, but its the FCC that only allows you to license it in chunks due to how past gear used to work.  Keep in mind, I had to purchase the licenese for both horizontal AND vertical on the same dang link. So it goes...