a month ago
Backup AF5X-HD handles 97% of stated capacity during snow storm
Reason for Installation
AF5X-HD backup link handles traffic when main AF24-HD has rain fade. OSPF is used to determine which radio handles the data load.
Used Products
×1
×1
Description

I've seen a lot of people run iperfs and speedtest and then stating that the AirFiber products don't deliver on the speed capacity shown on the screen.

Well what's really important is not speedtests, but actual user data. Several hundred users doing what they normally do.

Today we had the second day of a snow storm with freezing rain and wind driven snow that caused the main AF24-HD to fade several times due to heavy rains and ice accumulation on the dishes. 

The AF5X-HD using a 30mhz channel and running at 10X, had to take over.    What made things worse, was the kids were all home from school streaming on the internet.   And the AF5X-HD  RocketDishes had ice and snow on them causing several dB of signal fade.

But with all that, the new AF5X-HD still delivered !   And as the router on each end reported, the links passed 97% of the stated capacity at times.  

Here's the main screen.   We are experiencing snow fade due to snow and ice on the dishes, but the HD's are still holding solid 10X at -62.

HandleMainE.png

Here's a capacity graph over the last hour showing the 100% solid 268.8 download capacity at 10X with a 30mhz channel. 

AF5XHD capacity.PNG

So that's capacity.  What about actual user data with this link loaded to the max with user data ?    And to keep things honest,  lets get the throughput data from the router attached to the AF5X-HD.

The user data reported by the router will vary depending on user load.  Here the instantanous Traffic Out with 30 second average:  Here its 260.18Mbps.

AD5XHandling2.PNG

Here is a snippet at 261Mbps.

AF5XHD handling.PNG

Divide 261 by 268 and you get 97%.   That's the real life user data percentage an AF5X-HD will actually deliver at 10X, with several dB of icing fade when you really need it !

Backup AF5X-HD handles 97% of stated capacity during snow storm

by a month ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

I've seen a lot of people run iperfs and speedtest and then stating that the AirFiber products don't deliver on the speed capacity shown on the screen.

Well what's really important is not speedtests, but actual user data. Several hundred users doing what they normally do.

Today we had the second day of a snow storm with freezing rain and wind driven snow that caused the main AF24-HD to fade several times due to heavy rains and ice accumulation on the dishes. 

The AF5X-HD using a 30mhz channel and running at 10X, had to take over.    What made things worse, was the kids were all home from school streaming on the internet.   And the AF5X-HD  RocketDishes had ice and snow on them causing several dB of signal fade.

But with all that, the new AF5X-HD still delivered !   And as the router on each end reported, the links passed 97% of the stated capacity at times.  

Here's the main screen.   We are experiencing snow fade due to snow and ice on the dishes, but the HD's are still holding solid 10X at -62.

HandleMainE.png

Here's a capacity graph over the last hour showing the 100% solid 268.8 download capacity at 10X with a 30mhz channel. 

AF5XHD capacity.PNG

So that's capacity.  What about actual user data with this link loaded to the max with user data ?    And to keep things honest,  lets get the throughput data from the router attached to the AF5X-HD.

The user data reported by the router will vary depending on user load.  Here the instantanous Traffic Out with 30 second average:  Here its 260.18Mbps.

AD5XHandling2.PNG

Here is a snippet at 261Mbps.

AF5XHD handling.PNG

Divide 261 by 268 and you get 97%.   That's the real life user data percentage an AF5X-HD will actually deliver at 10X, with several dB of icing fade when you really need it !

{"location":{"title":"USA","placeId":"ChIJCzYy5IS16lQRQrfeQ5K5Oxw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"airfiber-5xhd","count":1},{"id":"airfiber-24hd","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"AF5X-HD backup link handles traffic when main AF24-HD has rain fade. OSPF is used to determine which radio handles the data load. ","mainImage":"148784iE82E8AF1A35E0774"}

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Comments
by
a month ago

I've not had issues in that regard with the AF5X. My issues are with the AF24HD and AF11FX. I have yet to be able to prove those products can deliver rated capacity like the AF5X can. Hopefully those issues will be sorted out with upcoming firmware updates. My suspicion is that there are still quirks in the ethernet drivers that prevent rated capacity.

It could also be that the AF5X would have issues too once it got upwards of 600Mbps. Maybe with the AF5XHD it would actually be possible to test that theory.

by
a month ago

@Kevo  The proof are in the stats listed above.  The AF5X-HD delivers the stated capacity.  My numbers above are 30 second averages.  The peaks were probably at 100% capacity. 

by
a month ago - last edited a month ago

It's like you didn't actually read what I wrote. I was responding to your first sentence about AirFiber "products". I specifically stated the products I've had problems with getting the reported capacity and the products that I haven't had a problem with.

I was not trying to counter your results with the AF5XHD, only stating that for me personally the issues I've reported on in the forums which you may have seen were in relation to other AirFibers. 

So my point is that your results with the AF5XHD may not be strong evidence against issues with the other AirFiber products.

Regardless, I appreciate you posting your findings with the AF5XHD.

by
a month ago

Show us latency stats ! 

by
3 weeks ago

Neat, is this for the same development that you used the OLT-4 for in https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UFiber-Stories/New-GPON-OLT-4-makes-Last-Mile-Fiber-Easy/cns-p/2201949?

by
3 weeks ago

@gfunkdave   No, this is on another end of my network.  

by
3 weeks ago

Super awesome! How does OSPF determine when the link should fail over? When the 24HD fails completely? I have a similar setup with and AF24HD and an AF3X, and I've been trying to figure out a way to get the the traffic to fail over to the 3X properly in heavy snow. Thus far, none of my attempts have been successful. 

by
3 weeks ago

@UnicornWrangler Using ethernet carrier drop on the Network tab.   I will PM you about this.  

by
3 weeks ago

The virgin area, no noise. It must work. In my city, it's hard to find a free 20 mhz :/

by
3 weeks ago

Hello,

In my region it is very polluted in RF, I use AF5X 21.763Km in 50Mhz the maximum that I get is 185Mbits / 58Mbits -56 / -57 4X 75%, antenna of 30Db, will the AF5XHD pass more band in 50Mhz because I will not get 60 , 80.100Mhz without much interference