Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

10/10/2017
Cool new LTU Horn dish works with AirMax too
Description

One of the new products being shown at Wispalooza is a cool new, powerful dish that interfaces with horn radios for places you need more gain than a horn provides.  The photo below shows one at Wispalooza with the new LTU horn radio.  In this case the one with the clear plastic case. 

IMG_7506.JPG

The dish has a feedhorn in front that connects the horn radio with a twist in the back. (You can see the same horn radio with a clear plastic 30 degree horn below it).

IMG_7523.JPG

This photo of one deployed shows a little more how it connects to the dish.  The radio's mount is not used since the dish has a mount. 

IMG_7483.JPG

This new dish is 500mm.  Same size as a PowerBeam 500 radio.  But, combined with the horn radio, it has the same antenna gain as a RocketDish LW 30.   So you basically have RocketDish LW performance with a much smaller 500mm dish. 

What's really cool is the dish also works with IsoStations and PrismStations.  Here's an IsoStation attached. 

Paired with a IsoStation, you also get the same gain as a RocketDish LW 30, in a 500mm form factor.

IMG_7526.JPG

And below a PrismStation is attached.

IMG_7528.JPG

Because it works with both AirMax AC and LTU,  you can easily switch back and forth and/or stock the same dish for both. And you have the flexibility to stock the same radio for use with this dish, and any of the horns. 

Also for all the folks that keep asking for Feedhorn SKU's, this lets you do that.  The dish is bought without the radio. 

For more info on new AirFiber LTU at wispalooza, see my other Story.

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airFiber-Stories/New-LTU-AirFibers-shown-at-Wispalooza-Show/cns-p/2092600

Comments
by
on ‎10-10-2017 04:48 PM

Interesting.

by
on ‎10-14-2017 08:10 PM

Yeah, but that doesn't address the cost aspect.  I can already use a RF Elements horn on a Rocket, but that still see's to much.  Seem's you could add the Prism filtering to any station radio for $10, as that is the cost difference between a Rocket Prism and a Rocket PtMP.

Phil

by
on ‎10-15-2017 06:10 AM

@pcurnuttThe difference between a Rocket PTMP and Prism is the transmit filtering.  Both have receive Prism.

All AirFiber radios have filters that are better than on any of the AirMax Prisms. 

by
on ‎10-15-2017 07:32 AM

I get that Rockets have Prism filtering because they are usually sitting in the middle of a high noise area with other radios.  I'm asking for it on the Rx side PowerBeams and NanoBeams which are looking at that high noise area.

Phil

by
on ‎10-15-2017 08:03 AM
All LTU radios including the CPE have advanced filtering that exceeds what Prism does.
by
on ‎10-15-2017 08:10 AM
We need more specs on the radios and applications.
by
on ‎10-15-2017 08:11 AM
Is this going to be like a PMP450 vs ePMP thing?
by
on ‎10-15-2017 08:26 AM

@keefe007  LTU uses a custom designed chipset that Ubiquiti has been perfecting for many years.  Unlike other chipsets, it has been engineered specifically for fixed wireless wisp deployments. 

Like the rest of the AirFiber line, it is not based on indoor wifi chipsets.  It does not use the indoor wifi protocol. 

@UBNT-Gary can provide other details.  

by
on ‎10-15-2017 08:28 AM

I know it uses a custom chipset, I was at the WISPAPalooza announcement last year.  I'm looking for more detailed specs beyond what's alread been released.

by
on ‎10-22-2017 08:19 AM

Are there any plans for a radome cover attachment for the LTU 500 dish?