Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

02/14/2017
How to install equipment on a large windturbine tower
Description

Denmark is famous for all the windturbines around the country. Almost 55% of our electricity comes from the wind. We have a lot of windturbines both on shore and off shore. Actually some of the largest offshore wind farms in the world are located around the coast of Denmark (http://www.dongenergy.com/en/our-business/wind-power/where-we-operate/anholt)

Everyone also knows the world largest windmill producer in the world, the danish company Vestas.

So what could be a better place to install UBNT equipment than on a windmill ? There's lots of them, they're large and they're everywhere ?

Typical danish countryside with windturbines....

Vindmoeller.jpg

The problem is that drilling a hole in the tower for a mount is NO GO.
Instead I got in contact with a company (it actually arises from Vestas) that sells these very strong magnets.
Their engineer created a special mount in aluminium for us.

Now we can install a lot of equipment on the windmills without drilling holes in the tower and breaking the sealing/painting.

You can contact the company here: Vlabwind

The special aluminium mount with magnets and an AF24 mounted (This tower is on the ground, why it's horizontal, not vertical)

IMG_20170214_132043.jpg

Each magnet can hold 350 kg.... 6 in total is used for this special mount. 2 for each "foot"
IMG_20170214_132105.jpg

We were only 2 persons trying it out, so no picture of the mount holding both of us. (We did test it, and the mount was rock solid. Didn't move at all...)

IMG_20170214_132214.jpg

If you want to remove it all again, no problem. A special tool is used to remove the magnet...

IMG_20170214_133857.jpg

Nothing to see when magnet is remove. Only a white clean spot :-)

Also cable trays will be installed with the help of smaller magnets.....

The magnets are versatile. You can use them several places as long as there's metal to mount them on....

I will post my first install in a windturbine when done. First we need the weather to be a little better here in Denmark. To cold at the moment....

Comments
by
on ‎02-14-2017 07:52 AM

Cool 

/Flemming

by
on ‎02-14-2017 07:56 AM

Very interesting - I can see using these on steel water tanks as well...

Jim

by
on ‎02-14-2017 09:36 AM

Do the propeller blades of the turbine pass in front of any of the radio links at all, and if so, does this have any impact on the link? I have no idea how fast the blades spin, and therefore if this has any material impact on the link.

by
on ‎02-14-2017 11:50 AM

That is soo cool!

Just watch your fingers or they'll be mincemeat!

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎02-14-2017 01:15 PM

Very cool and interesting application!

Thank you for sharing

by
‎02-14-2017 02:16 PM - edited ‎02-14-2017 02:29 PM

If you can't drill, how do you take care of the cabling to the AF24's or other devices. It's quite a height, and cables swinging in the wind won't last long.

Ok, didn't read correctly, so using magnets to secure the cable al the way down as well... Nicely done

by
‎02-14-2017 02:26 PM - edited ‎02-14-2017 02:28 PM

I looked at their website, they have smaller magnets that could be used to attach the cable.
Edit: just saw your edit.

by
on ‎02-14-2017 03:31 PM

@Djursland01 Yes, very cool actually...

@eejimm Windturbines, chimneys, watertanks etc. Very useful especially for short time installations (or long time, when you can't drill a hole).

@alex_cambui I'll install underneath the propeller blades. Most of them consist of metal in the middle. As most windturbines are installed on top of a small hill there is no need to mount equipment that high.
If you're mounting sectors to high, you can see it far away. Then you can't reuse frequency as you will see distant as noise....

@razr You have to be very careful. 2 magnets are mounted next to each other on the mount. You have to keep them apart when mounting. Your fingers can easily get in the way. They'll be mincemeat....

@ColoCenter @FarmerKJS1 Plan is to use smaller magnets to mount a cabletray. Cable will be attached to cabletray with zipties...

@UBNT-Salvador I'll post final story with pictures when equipment is mounted. Right now it's to cold to mount.

[video]

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎02-14-2017 04:39 PM

@jjonsson Those Vestas turbines are very impressive pieces of engineering.  You know you can't leave that radio sitting sideways for too long in case it rains right?  

Gary

by
on ‎02-14-2017 11:00 PM

@UBNT-Gary The AF24 was only mounted there for around 30 minutes. Just to check if we needed to change anything on the design of the mount.

We found that the tube (aluminium and therefor a little soft) was to small in size (50 mm). We need a 60 mm tube instead. Since windturbine tower can be both conical or straight also the lower foot on the mount need to be changed, so we can mount 100% even...

And yes, those windturbines are very impressive. We have one the largest in the world around 6 km from where we live. We can easily see it far away....