3 weeks ago
Hybrid FTTH/Fixed wireless project fed by AF5XHD
Used Products
×1
Description

For several years now we have been discussing potential ways to feed an unservved valley near our footprint. It has approximately 100 subs living in this heavily wooded area. The rocky terrain makes it very expensive to plow fiber, and the thick trees make it very difficult to do fixed wireless here. These attributes made it impossible to get broadband here using a single technology.

That is when the lightbulb went off and we decided to take the hybrid FTTH/fixed wireless approach and use the best of both technologies. 

We installed a 50' pole at the entrance to the valley. This has LOS to a tower 7.5 miles away. We decided to utilize the AF5XHD for our backhaul with 34dbi dishes.

IMG_20190403_143959.jpg

We needed a larger enclosure to hold all the FTTH gear and extra batteries for 24hour+ runtime.

IMG_20190124_142521.jpg

IMG_20190403_144326.jpg

The pole does have some sway up top, so we made sure we budgeted a 2db fade during high wind events. As you can see here we are missing a few DB. Still very very happy with the speeds. 

Backhaul.PNG

500meg should be able to feed 100 subs for now. We are hoping we dont need to upgrade until AF11xLTU comes out Man Wink

Here is a shot looking into the valley. As you can see, the subs are really buried in there a few miles.

Entrance View.PNG

Here is a birds eye view of our design.

Birds eye view.PNG

This project has opened our eyes to many new opportunities. Once we realized how effective a hybrid solution can be, we are planning multiple expansions with this new design to battle the challenging terrain we have in our area.

Hybrid FTTH/Fixed wireless project fed by AF5XHD

by 3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

For several years now we have been discussing potential ways to feed an unservved valley near our footprint. It has approximately 100 subs living in this heavily wooded area. The rocky terrain makes it very expensive to plow fiber, and the thick trees make it very difficult to do fixed wireless here. These attributes made it impossible to get broadband here using a single technology.

That is when the lightbulb went off and we decided to take the hybrid FTTH/fixed wireless approach and use the best of both technologies. 

We installed a 50' pole at the entrance to the valley. This has LOS to a tower 7.5 miles away. We decided to utilize the AF5XHD for our backhaul with 34dbi dishes.

IMG_20190403_143959.jpg

We needed a larger enclosure to hold all the FTTH gear and extra batteries for 24hour+ runtime.

IMG_20190124_142521.jpg

IMG_20190403_144326.jpg

The pole does have some sway up top, so we made sure we budgeted a 2db fade during high wind events. As you can see here we are missing a few DB. Still very very happy with the speeds. 

Backhaul.PNG

500meg should be able to feed 100 subs for now. We are hoping we dont need to upgrade until AF11xLTU comes out Man Wink

Here is a shot looking into the valley. As you can see, the subs are really buried in there a few miles.

Entrance View.PNG

Here is a birds eye view of our design.

Birds eye view.PNG

This project has opened our eyes to many new opportunities. Once we realized how effective a hybrid solution can be, we are planning multiple expansions with this new design to battle the challenging terrain we have in our area.

{"location":{"title":"United States","placeId":"ChIJCzYy5IS16lQRQrfeQ5K5Oxw"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"airfiber-5xhd","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"204177i714923BAEE0CF33B"}

Comments
by
3 weeks ago

I look forward to you sharing more about the fiber design in the future if possible.

Nice set of solutions!

by
3 weeks ago

Great!

More tests, signals on CPE, iperfs please...

by
3 weeks ago

Great story Wifimax.  Fiber is very helpful in these tree infested valleys.

by
2 weeks ago

Nice.  You might want to consider a failover link using smaller (and/or grid style) antennas too.

by
2 weeks ago

What a beaut. Gotta leave a comment here so I can peek back for updates.

by
2 weeks ago

Very nice, private fibre solutions are awesome, very future proof.

Looking forward to updates.

by
2 weeks ago

Nice! Definitely a solid solution for the future 

by
2 weeks ago

thats good work! 

Post more info. I'm interested in this. 

by
a week ago

I love this. What enclosure are you using? Do you have a link that you could provide? Thanks!

by
a week ago

@mercman87  That is the Amprod Mini-fort 9ru... Highly recommended.

I will post a followup story with our progress. We are extremely excited to get this launched.