06/24/2018
New tower install with EdgeMax, AirMax, AirFiber etc.
Used Products
×1
×1
Description

This is from an install I have been involved in....

I did all the EdgeRouter configuration. Vestjylland.net needed a separation of their network. This is one of their primary sites with fiber coming in. We're routing both public and private IP-addresses, with one router doing NAT.

Enjoy a nice view over beautiful western part of Denmark. All the windturbines in the background are located at the shore of Nissum Fjord between the North Sea and Thorsminde a small fishingtown...

Equipment used for this project is:

EdgeRouter 8 Pro / EdgeRouter 8, Netonix switch, AirFiber 5X, AirFiber 5, AirMax AC.....

Vemb tower 01.jpg

IMG_20180124_143128.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

New tower install with EdgeMax, AirMax, AirFiber etc.

by on ‎06-24-2018 03:43 AM

This is from an install I have been involved in....

I did all the EdgeRouter configuration. Vestjylland.net needed a separation of their network. This is one of their primary sites with fiber coming in. We're routing both public and private IP-addresses, with one router doing NAT.

Enjoy a nice view over beautiful western part of Denmark. All the windturbines in the background are located at the shore of Nissum Fjord between the North Sea and Thorsminde a small fishingtown...

Equipment used for this project is:

EdgeRouter 8 Pro / EdgeRouter 8, Netonix switch, AirFiber 5X, AirFiber 5, AirMax AC.....

Vemb tower 01.jpg

IMG_20180124_143128.jpg

01.jpg

02.jpg

{"location":{"title":"Vemb, Danmark","placeId":"ChIJe4yPigo5SkYR8NJRHcyvAAo"},"addedProducts":[{"id":"airfiber5","count":1},{"id":"airfiber-5x","count":1}],"solved":"","numbers":"","description":"","mainImage":"162628i083F6B0DDD7AFD63"}

Comments
by
on ‎06-24-2018 06:43 PM

Strongly recomend you let a qualified person calculate the winload on that tower....

by
on ‎07-04-2018 02:20 AM

yeh, you should definitely connect and secure some guy wires to that tower asap - next storm you have, that thing is coming down...

The tower might've been ok before without your equipment - but it certainly does not look like it will handle anything more than a 50km gust of wind now.

by
on ‎07-04-2018 10:06 AM

excuse me colleague, but you have no problem with the ayrfiber on this mast

by
on ‎07-29-2018 08:36 AM

This tower has been holding a lot more antennas than it do now and some a lot heavier. It's very high quality danish product, made for the weather conditions in that speciifc area.
It can hold a lot more antennas than it's loaded with.

No need to worry guyz....

by
on ‎08-06-2018 05:35 PM

fall arrest lines are not to secure you to the tower

no helmets?

by
‎08-18-2018 03:08 PM - edited ‎08-18-2018 03:20 PM

Tower looks good guys. It's a free standing and designed to stand without stay's. Probably a Francis and Lewis or similar.

Take a look at the link's below and see how we have been doing it here in Ireland for the past 40+ years

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w4dxj9zdbk7ww9x/IMG_0721.JPG?dl=0

by
on ‎10-08-2018 01:18 PM

How do you protect the towers from lightning ?

We are losing like 2-3 towers every year during rainy season, whole tower with all devices and cisco switches get burnt Man Sad

UBNT STP cable + surge ethernet also doesnt help. 

by
on ‎10-08-2018 03:09 PM

Ground your towers and equipment properly to avoid equipment loss related to electrical storms.

Here is a good thread on tower grounding.

http://forum.netonix.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=188

by
on ‎10-09-2018 01:11 AM

I guess grounding is done, but its always hit. 

STP cable of UBNT and groundting nothing helps for direct strike I guess. 

by
‎10-09-2018 11:52 AM - edited ‎10-09-2018 11:53 AM

Anyone who works in a high lightning risk area should own (or at least have access to) a proper ground resistance tester -- something like these.  The clamp-on type are quick and easy, but they do require a connection to the power company neutral in order to work.  The three and four point type require driving electrodes into the surrounding soil, which is simply not practical in some places (like the rocky ridges and mountaintops where we experience most of our lightning issues).

Improve your ground to where is less than 2Ω and eliminate all copper Ethernet wires running down or off the tower you should be OK.  If you still experience direct hits after that, you may need to look into the type of lightning protection used to protect facilities where munitions or petroleum are stored (overhead ground wires supported by separate masts).  Remember:  Current does not follow the path of least resistance, it takes all paths in parallel in proportion to their resistance (actually impedance in this case).  Your goal is to create a low impedance path to ground which does not go through your stuff.