05/19/2015
eXtra Long Distance = 225 km = 140 miles = AF-5X Today and Tomorrow
Description

“If you do not have the concept of distance, you may reach an unreachable place!”

So the AirFiber team was stoked about the AF-5X and as more and more become available we wanted to set the bar on this challenge and basically lay down the gauntlet. Granted we are EXEMPT from the competition, but we want to generate some X-citement (sorry for the pun). First off a shout out to @kbloch and his crew for helping make this happen. As you may know from last year’s challenge they brought it with the longest AF5 link to date with 103km!! So we thought they would be up for the mission in more than doubling that feat with a 225km link crossing 2 states (East of Los Angeles to Near Las Vegas)!!! I have a new level of respect for all those WISP operators and wireless enthusiasts that go that extra mile (in this case 140 miles) to make things happen. Kudos to all of you!

But a picture is worth a thousand words! I’ll do one better and provide a few more Man Happy Here’s a screen shot when we finally dialed in the aiming of the link, totally pumped when it was dialed in on the target!

Enjoy the pictures below (we’ve learned a lot from this and there is more to come!). I leave you with this -

We have a lot more up our sleeves, 'X is coming’ Man Happy

Today's 3.0.2 software load

image1.jpeg

Experimental Future Software 3.x = 155mbps!

IMG_5428.jpg

Path profile of link

Potosi to Bertha Peak.jpg

Pictures of the install on the remote side

IMG_2922.jpeg

AirFiber Slant 34dBi antenna's located on either side of the link

IMG_2927.jpeg

And then it started to snow, yes in May Man Happy

IMG_2922.jpeg

eXtra Long Distance = 225 km = 140 miles = AF-5X Today and Tomorrow

by Ubiquiti Employee ‎05-19-2015 11:02 AM - edited ‎05-27-2015 06:07 AM

“If you do not have the concept of distance, you may reach an unreachable place!”

So the AirFiber team was stoked about the AF-5X and as more and more become available we wanted to set the bar on this challenge and basically lay down the gauntlet. Granted we are EXEMPT from the competition, but we want to generate some X-citement (sorry for the pun). First off a shout out to @kbloch and his crew for helping make this happen. As you may know from last year’s challenge they brought it with the longest AF5 link to date with 103km!! So we thought they would be up for the mission in more than doubling that feat with a 225km link crossing 2 states (East of Los Angeles to Near Las Vegas)!!! I have a new level of respect for all those WISP operators and wireless enthusiasts that go that extra mile (in this case 140 miles) to make things happen. Kudos to all of you!

But a picture is worth a thousand words! I’ll do one better and provide a few more Man Happy Here’s a screen shot when we finally dialed in the aiming of the link, totally pumped when it was dialed in on the target!

Enjoy the pictures below (we’ve learned a lot from this and there is more to come!). I leave you with this -

We have a lot more up our sleeves, 'X is coming’ Man Happy

Today's 3.0.2 software load

image1.jpeg

Experimental Future Software 3.x = 155mbps!

IMG_5428.jpg

Path profile of link

Potosi to Bertha Peak.jpg

Pictures of the install on the remote side

IMG_2922.jpeg

AirFiber Slant 34dBi antenna's located on either side of the link

IMG_2927.jpeg

And then it started to snow, yes in May Man Happy

IMG_2922.jpeg

Comments
by
on ‎05-19-2015 11:18 AM

Holy crap.  Nice link!  Out of curiosity, what elevations are you at to get over curvature of earth problems?

by
on ‎05-19-2015 11:21 AM

225 k's ?  bleep, now I feel like a slacker Leaving

by Ubiquiti Employee
on ‎05-19-2015 11:23 AM

I think you will win the airFiber 5X this week Man Tongue

by
on ‎05-19-2015 11:24 AM
are you crazy it is well done I am speechless Top kodo to you Regards Flemming
by
on ‎05-19-2015 11:27 AM

Both ends are at about 8300 feet

by
on ‎05-19-2015 11:32 AM

Yup - mountaintops are a wonderful invention for wireless...

Congrats guys.

Jim

by
on ‎05-19-2015 11:45 AM

How do you even begin to aim something like that? 

by
on ‎05-19-2015 11:54 AM

Same as a shorter link, only much more carefully... Biggrinjester

Jim

by
on ‎05-19-2015 11:54 AM
Channel width to get 155Mbps?
by
on ‎05-19-2015 12:09 PM

I think the picture is false , because if we see the topology of the area where the tower curvature of the earth would not give line of sight