Kudos: 30
Solutions: 10
Accepted Solution

AF4X unreachable from one end of link

So... here's a fun little glitch.  I have one set of AF4X (V4.0) links between my office and my client's mountain site.  This link is used for CCTV telemetry, as well as network for their radio system.  Nothing special.  Solid link, short distance, no problems until yesterday.

My links are monitored by simple ping testing from my Zabbix server.  I also have Cacti doing more detailed info.  36 Hours ago my AF4X on the mountain went off the radar.  No management, no ping response, no SNMP, no SSH, no ports.  It basically disappeared.  But it's the only outage.  Nothing beyond is out, data is still happily passing.  My near end shows the standard 70 Mb/s, and shows all data from the far end.  As far as the link is concerned, everything's happy, except the device has ghosted me.  So... the device management has gone stupid, right?

Now, here's where it gets weird, if the device being fully online apart from ghosting my office wasn't weird enough.  I can reach the device from the network beyond the device.  Management works, all ports work, it's totally there.  I'm currently connected to my device through my back door link, which is plugged in to the same switch on the mountain.  I have access, no errors in log, all ports are visible, and it's totally responsive.  Web management works, ping is fine, all ports are hosting their respective services, everything's perfect.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure this device is affected by some form of voodoo.  I mean... it has been online since August 28, 2017.  I haven't dropped beta in, basically because it's usually bad form to leave a stable build for beta on a priority link.

I'm guessing the device has removed itself from the binding on the wireless interface.  Never had that happen with a ubiquiti product, so it's a fun surprise.  I'm planning on rebooting late tonight, since it'll piss off a couple radio links, and that's never a good thing.  I'll pop an update after reboot with status.

Also for the UBNT guys, I did save support logs for your entertainment, in case it'll help preventing this issue in the future.  Yay for bugs!

Accepted Solutions
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1189
Solutions: 142

Re: AF4X unreachable from one end of link

This is a known issue. We are working it and it will be addressed in the final release of v4.1. A beta release is planned by the end of the month but this may not be fully addressed by then. No support dump is needed...

Sorry about this,

Chuck

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted

I see @jb_008 had the same issue a week ago.  Go figure.  So, in good form, i'll ping @UBNT-Chuck to see if he would like any info pulled from the radios before I reboot them.  I'll postpone rebooting until I hear otherwise.

Kudos: 51
Solutions: 7

It happens with AF5X too. If you want to fix this and have remote access to a router on the other side or any device on the other side that has SSH and is on the same management network as the AF then you can SSH to it from the other side of the stream. Once you access it just send a reboot command at night or off hours and your problem is solved.

We do this with the mikrotik on the other end. Since the data is passing the link and we have access to the mikrotik, we SSH from the mikrotik to the IP of the radio and you can successfully login. Issue the reboot and bam solved and saved a visit to the mountain Man Wink

Hope this helps you.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1189
Solutions: 142

This is a known issue. We are working it and it will be addressed in the final release of v4.1. A beta release is planned by the end of the month but this may not be fully addressed by then. No support dump is needed...

Sorry about this,

Chuck

No Worries Chuck!  Just figured it'd be handy in case you needed any active information in troubleshooting.  I'm actually not even remotely bothered by this.  As far as bugs go, it's a minor one that is more nuisance (read as 'curiosity') than problem.  Not often that I get a failure notice from only one backhaul device, and have everything beyond showing online.

CoMMy, I actually have stick PCs scattered through my client's mountain sites, which get used primarily for monitoring broadcasts.  Oddities like this are where they come in handy, since they make great remote access devices at the sites.  Plus I can use them to do some more detailed testing on the device when odd cases like this crop up.