Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 10
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

AF5X 80Mhz

I am curious of the reason why we cant see a 80 mhz or at least bigger than 50 Mhz in AF5X. 

I understand of all of the advantages of the AF5X compared to Airmax AC but the fact is that using a Rocket AC Gen 2 at 80 Mhz will get a troughtput close to AF5X at 50 Mhz. Also understand that in a lot of situations wasting 80 Mhz wide channel is not a good pratice, but the fact is that Rocket AC allows it right? So why not Airfiber? I understand that in some places you will not be able to find a clean 80 MhZ wide channel, however that will depend from place to place. i do believe that in a lot of rural areas this would be possible. I am not saying that i agree in using a 80 mhz, specially if a narrow channel would do the job for you, but this sounds like a limitation for such an expensive product.

I would like to ear the experienced members about these.

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 8331
Solutions: 525
Contributions: 1

Re: AF5X 80Mhz

The bottom line is that the chipset UBNT built for doing this (Invictus) is not capable of more than 56MHz channel widths.   This is also the maximum width of the AF11FX for the same reason.   However the next generation LTU radios are capable of a full 100MHz wide channel, so larger throughput should be showing up before too long...

JIm

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist

View solution in original post

All Replies
SuperUser
Kudos: 7440
Solutions: 556
Contributions: 2

carlosmcabral wrote:

I am curious of the reason why we cant see a 80 mhz or at least bigger than 50 Mhz in AF5X. 

I understand of all of the advantages of the AF5X compared to Airmax AC but the fact is that using a Rocket AC Gen 2 at 80 Mhz will get a troughtput close to AF5X at 50 Mhz. Also understand that in a lot of situations wasting 80 Mhz wide channel is not a good pratice, but the fact is that Rocket AC allows it right? So why not Airfiber? I understand that in some places you will not be able to find a clean 80 MhZ wide channel, however that will depend from place to place. i do believe that in a lot of rural areas this would be possible. I am not saying that i agree in using a 80 mhz, specially if a narrow channel would do the job for you, but this sounds like a limitation for such an expensive product.

I would like to ear the experienced members about these.

As you mentioned, there isn't many places where using an 80mhz channel makes any practical sense.

And in keeping the cost of the AF5X as low as it is, required not being able to go above 50mhz channels. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa

Hi @ClaudeSS! Thanks for your answer at this topic.

"As you mentioned, there isn't many places where using an 80mhz channel makes any practical sense."

But again, would it make sense in a Rocket AC and not on a Af5X ? I am happy to see that Af5X can achieve a good troughtput with less spectrum being used. I believe that it should be users to decide if they need a 80 mhz channel or not. In these case they just cant go higher than 50 mhz.

"And in keeping the cost of the AF5X as low as it is, required not being able to go above 50mhz channels. "

I see, so at the end this looks possible to achieve but would bring a higher price to the product. pearphs a firmware upgrade in the future?

Just to make it clear...i always use the smallest channel and EIRP possible for my needs. I believe this is a good pratice and still gives what i need!

SuperUser

The bottom line is that the chipset UBNT built for doing this (Invictus) is not capable of more than 56MHz channel widths.   This is also the maximum width of the AF11FX for the same reason.   However the next generation LTU radios are capable of a full 100MHz wide channel, so larger throughput should be showing up before too long...

JIm

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)

"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist

Hi @eejimm! Ok, so now...this makes a lot more sense to me! Now i understand why 50 mhz and not more! I might just start saving some money to the next generation Smiley Very Happy

Kudos: 65
Solutions: 4

eejimm wrote:

JIm

So ... We have to buy Ceragon for 112MHz channels? Pity Man Sad

Guifi.net - Xarxa Oberta, Lliure i Neutral - http://guifi.net/

]

SuperUser

vicent_nb1 wrote:

eejimm wrote:

JIm

So ... We have to buy Ceragon for 112MHz channels? Pity Man Sad

Or LTU later this year when they come out...

Jim

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1655
Solutions: 458
Contributions: 156

Hi @vicent_nb1

You can always use two parallel airFiber links, in the 5GHz spectrum you can use the AF NxN Multiplexer and use a single antenna and using 4 radios you can use up to 200MHz contiguous and non-contiguous channels.

¿Hablas español? Conoce nuestro foro de Ubiquiti en español - usamos la Ñ!

Hi! Yes its true, i always have that option! thank you UBNT-Salvador.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1655
Solutions: 458
Contributions: 156

You're welcome Man Happy

¿Hablas español? Conoce nuestro foro de Ubiquiti en español - usamos la Ñ!