Highlighted

Extremely close AirFiber 5 units, any reccomendations on speed?

[ Edited ]

Hi everone,

We have a Master/Slave setup for Air Fiber 5's.

The distance between them is EXTEREMELY small (250 feet)

Many of you may be suprised that they work , but we've been rocking and rolling for almost a year now.

We have Fiber - 80 Mbps Up/Down.

We've got a ~75 foot Cat6 coming out of a 48 Port managed HP switch into the master unit.

The slave has probably a 100 foot Cat 6 run into a 24 port Managed HP switch.

We are able to pull 30 Mbps Up/Down on the slave side with ping replies in 1-2MS , but users biggest complaint is slowness opening up files from a NAS on the LAN, we aren't experiencing slowness on the master side when accessing that same device.

WAN speeds aren't noticeable on that side, rather LAN speeds.

I know our setup isn't ideal and I have attached a few pictures showing configs/setup but was wondering if anyone has any advice on optimizing sppeed. Thanks

Second to last picture is a view from Master to slave (10 feet lower)

Google_EarthView (Large).jpg
Main_Slave-Master (Large).jpg
Master_Mount (Large).jpg
Slave_Mount (Large).jpg
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1229
Solutions: 150

Re: Extremely clsoe AirFiber 5 units, any reccomendations on speed?

You need to find two frequencies (with some separation) and go full duplex. That will take your latency down to microseconds and dramatically speed up your NAS access. Needless to say, wider channels would buy you more capacity...

Chuck

Chuck,

Thank you for your suggestion!

I am going to plead ignorance here, as I am really not too techical with radio frequency/configuration.

By default, the frequenzies are both set to 5800, Do I just nede to look for a unique number in the "valid frequencies"?

Is there any significance to the numbers, I see that there is a lower, middle, and higher range of numbers.

I was having trouble getting the airview to load up properly despite updating java and entering in a security excemption.

Finally, both units shoulf be set to Full Duplex, right?

"You need to find two frequencies (with some separation)"

Are you saying that the master/slave should have separate (different) numbers?
Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

You should set both to full duplex, but, only the master is required to have this setting. 

I would select two different frequencies in the 5800 band since those don't require DFS in the US. If you are using 10 MHz channels, you should try to separate the frequencies by at least 20MHz (more is better). Given how close these radios are to each other, I doubt anything the spectrum analyzer would tell you would matter much to this link. 

Chuck

Kudos: 57
Solutions: 12

At that distance you can even put it all the way up to 50 mhz channel width full duplex and have 600 mbps both ways just make sure to use 2 different channels that do not over lap on the TX and the RX

@UBNT-Chuck

Just a clarification about :

If you are using 10 MHz channels, you should try to separate the frequencies by at least 20MHz (more is better). 

With Full Duplex and channel bandwidth 10Mhz

Master RX : 5800Mhz

Master TX : 5820Mhz

Slave RX : 5820Mhz

Slave TX : 5800Mhz

Is this correct ?

Now, if i use an channel bandwidth of 50Mhz what is the good value of frequency separation ?

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

Hi,

A good rule of thumb is to place the frequency centers 2x apart based on the channel bandwidth. So a pair of 50 MHz channels would be spaced by 100MHz. This is a rough number and you should be able to move much closer than that with 50 MHz.

The absolute minimum spacing is the channel bandwidth (assuming both are the same), but this will have a negative performance impact. If you mix bandwidths, take half of each bandwidth for each channel and add them together. This is the absolute minimum spacing (you should make sure you add at least 10MHz to this number).

The ideal power and frequency separation for the full-duplex radios is complex. To simplify this, there is a built-in calculator. If you go to the tools icon on the top right of the home page, you will see an icon labeled calculator. If you input your link distance, frequencies, and required capacity, it will provide the suggested power settings and what overall capacity you can expect from the link. By moving the frequencies closer together or farther apart, you can see the effect.

Chuck

Thank you for all of the suggestions!

The channel bandwidth is currently set to 10MHz but this was the default setting.

There is a suggestion below saying that I can put it up to 50 mhz, but again I don't know what is optimal for our environment.

Should I leave the bandwidth to 10 MHz or crank it up?

Lastly, someone below posted this:

Master RX : 5800Mhz

Master TX : 5820Mhz

Slave RX : 5820Mhz

Slave TX : 5800Mhz

I did follow this and am seeing tremendous improvements with WAN speeds and based on the throughput numbers will see much better LAN speeds.

Would anyone suggest tweaking this at all for any further improvements?

Thanks Again!!

[ Edited ]

Here are updated numbers after making some suggested tweaks, WAN speeds (via speakeasy speed test) appear to be faster on the "slave" side v. "master" ...odd?

And we did notice a nice increase in speed on the "slave" side copying data from the NAS that resides on the master side (all on LAN)

These are the first real configuration changes we've made since setting these up. If anyone can take a look at these numbers and suggest ANY better settings to imrove LAN speeds even more, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help everyone!!

Kudos: 75
Solutions: 15

Just add a little detail which I think you do not finish aligning the equipment well ... you see the mast of the master team a little inclined ... I guess it is not the final mast, nor the finished wired installation, since use white or gray wire outdoors ....

Man Wink

"Cuando tienes metas que alcanzar no importa lo que tardes o las veces que caigas, lo importante es levantarte una y otra vez hasta alcanzarlas" Icon Wink

Mikrotik MTCNA
Kudos: 16
Solutions: 1

Your alignment is way off.  Your two Chains should be within 1db or so.  One is aligned decently, the other way off.

Once you get the alignment fixed, you should be able to reduce power.   I have multiple links in that rough distance, and with 50mhz wide channels they do 600mbit both ways without issue.  Mine are mostly in the 15-20db power levels.

Also, you might consider getting your firmware up to something modern, 3.2 is pretty old.

And your Maximum modulation can be set to 10x (that was added on after the radios came out) which might get you a bit more speed.

Also, you should change your wireless security code since your screen capture shows it.  That's a bit short in the first place, and now it's compromised, especially since your location is posted.