Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2279
Solutions: 31
Accepted Solution

I am really impressed with this AF treatment for rain fade improvement

[ Edited ]

I recently had my tower guys apply the Never Wet spray to all our antennas, especially all our airFIBERS.

Tonight we have a significant steady down poor so I have been monitoring my AF links all evening and I just do not see nearly the signal drops that normally would have occurred prior to the application of the Never Wet product in similar rain events.

My guess is a lot of the rain fade is possibly caused my rain drop or water coating and sticking to the radomes of the airFIBER units?

See pictures below of the intersection in front of my office showing the rain and a screen shot of a 2.5 mile AF link which has been solid with only a little signal degradation, and a 4 almost 5 Mile AF link that has stepped down a little in capacity but not all that bad as it  would normally drop out in just light rain before the Never Wet was applied.  Also another 2 airFIBER links, all hold steady in this medium to sometimes heavy rain event that has been going on now for 5+ hours.

Never Wet is the stuff I was suggesting last year to the Chicago team, it was designed by one of our customers and my partner Rusty from RF Armor works there and worked on the initial design concept of the hydrophobic solution originally designed for military applications.  They licensed it to Rustoleum and you can now buy it everywhere.  You guys should try it!

Camera.jpg

airfiber.jpg

airfiber4.jpg

airfiber3.jpg

airfiber2.jpg

neverwet.jpg

@UBNT-Ben  @UBNT-Chuck @UBNT-Robert 

RF Armor Shield Kits for Ubiquiti M gear
www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!

Accepted Solutions
Veteran Member

Re: I am really impressed with this AF treatment for rain fade improvement

I want to bump this post for people becuase since this post we have had 2 rain filled days including today and tonight and not a single AF24 drop.

I really think there is something to the water beading or flowing across the radome that must effect these links worse then the rain suspended in the air becuase this treatment keeps this water off the radomes plus will prevent ice and snow build up as well.

YOU GUYS NEED TO TRY THIS STUFF! We not only treated all our AF24 units but all our AP's and Dishes to prevent possible ice build up!  

Hey Aaron and Josh!!!!

www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ancient Member
Kudos: 5937
Solutions: 128

[ Edited ]

airWetless

An adjunct to
http://www.j-walk.com/other/wifispray

WiFi Spray

WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
Veteran Member

We had significant rain fall all night, in fact it was so much that one of the loading dock doors at the RF Armor warehouse leaked and I had a HUGE puddle on the floor this morning but yet not one of my airFIBER links went down last night!

I really think that water beading up on the Radomes or just coasting the Radome could seriously be a large source of the rain fade effect we see?  Think about it, if the Radome has 1/16" or and 1/8" water in it my guess is that causes more issues then the suspended rain over 2 miles?

www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
SuperUser
Kudos: 5137
Solutions: 76

You may be on to something. I don't recall what the radome felt like, but I seem to recall it wasn't entirely slippery.

Say, what's up with that one link where one chain is off pretty bad from the rest?
Veteran Member

mhoppes wrote:
You may be on to something. I don't recall what the radome felt like, but I seem to recall it wasn't entirely slippery.

Say, what's up with that one link where one chain is off pretty bad from the rest?

You mean the link that is almost 5 miles?

Well it is 5 miles....normally too far for AF24 in my opinion but it is also shooting through/over a large power substation, that is the best we were able to achieve with it.

www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
Veteran Member

I want to bump this post for people becuase since this post we have had 2 rain filled days including today and tonight and not a single AF24 drop.

I really think there is something to the water beading or flowing across the radome that must effect these links worse then the rain suspended in the air becuase this treatment keeps this water off the radomes plus will prevent ice and snow build up as well.

YOU GUYS NEED TO TRY THIS STUFF! We not only treated all our AF24 units but all our AP's and Dishes to prevent possible ice build up!  

Hey Aaron and Josh!!!!

www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
Established Member
Kudos: 274
Solutions: 18

I have a kit of NeverWet, but it decided to snow and get down to single digits on the weekend I was going to apply it to the Starband dish.  Crud.  Now it'll be too cold.  Instructions say to apply when above 50F.

Veteran Member

Public announcement BUMP!

Still no AF24 drops in rain events since Never Wet was applied.

Also no snow or ice on any tower antennas in the 2 possible weather events that could have resulted in such.

Of course today we are having 70 degree weather in December!?  

The end of the world must be near!?

www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
SuperUser
Kudos: 5137
Solutions: 76

So... can Ubiquiti start making superhydrophobic radomes?

Veteran Member

[ Edited ]

mhoppes wrote:

I tried to get Robert and Chicago team set up with a manufacturer to pre apply this to the AF24 with a removeable protective film to protect the surface durring installation or maybe provide a kit with the AF24 and I got no where.

Anyway I see an INCREDIBLE differnce with it applied to my AF24 units, as I said so far no drops in rain that would have normally dropped the links.

I suspect the water that collects or runs down the radome has more of an adverse effect than the suspended rain in the path?

@UBNT-Robert @UBNT-Ben  @UBNT-Chuck 

www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
Kudos: 84
Solutions: 2

Sirhc wrote:

mhoppes wrote:

I tried to get Robert and Chicago team set up with a manufacturer to pre apply this to the AF24 with a removeable protective film to protect the surface durring installation or maybe provide a kit with the AF24 and I got no where.

Anyway I see an INCREDIBLE differnce with it applied to my AF24 units, as I said so far no drops in rain that would have normally dropped the links.

I suspect the water that collects or runs down the radome has more of an adverse effect than the suspended rain in the path?

@UBNT-Robert @UBNT-Ben  @UBNT-Chuck 

Chris,

Are you applying just to the Radome?

Established Member
Kudos: 560
Solutions: 6

I see it helping, but it seems like we get a different intensity of rain here in Chicago. Multiple pretty smart operators here are having 2 mile links drop. The received signal for at least some of the links is spot on with the path calculations. One even had a 1.6 mile link drop.

Ancient Member
Kudos: 9145
Solutions: 1402

The real question is why is not the AF more hydrophobic from the factory?  NeverWet is great, but purportedly needs to be re-applied.  What is needed is a longer lasting factory applied treatment.

Speaking of factory applied long lasting hydrophobic treatment, how do the RF Armor fair?  Mind that you are not in the 24 Ghz arena.

My Topics
Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
"The firings will continue until morale improves." Donald Trump (unconfirmed) 2017.
SuperUser
Kudos: 7651
Solutions: 562
Contributions: 2

Seems to me that RF Armor could shield much of the rain from the dish.  In areas of strong rain have a RF/Rain Armor model with a longer, rain hood section at the top that would shield all but the strongest wind blown rain in the direction of the dish. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Established Member

ClaudeSS wrote:

Seems to me that RF Armor could shield much of the rain from the dish.  In areas of strong rain have a RF/Rain Armor model with a longer, rain hood section at the top that would shield all but the strongest wind blown rain in the direction of the dish. 

Aren't the strong rains the problem?  :-p

SuperUser
Kudos: 7651
Solutions: 562
Contributions: 2

mhammett wrote:

ClaudeSS wrote:

With a hood, strong rains won't be a problem. It's strong winds in the direction of the dish along with rain that would get the dish wet.  Rain falls pretty quickly.  It ends up being a ratio of the rain fall speed and wind speed that determines the angle of the rain and how long a rain hood would need to be to protect the dish with a given speed of wind. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Established Member

ClaudeSS wrote:

mhammett wrote:

ClaudeSS wrote:

With a hood, strong rains won't be a problem. It's strong winds in the direction of the dish along with rain that would get the dish wet.  Rain falls pretty quickly.  It ends up being a ratio of the rain fall speed and wind speed that determines the angle of the rain and how long a rain hood would need to be to protect the dish with a given speed of wind. 

I wonder what a 3.75 mile hood costs.

Established Member
Kudos: 225
Solutions: 2

well you can get neverwet now at wal mart and menards or your local hardware store before you could only get it at home depot. I might get me an can of this stuff from menards and trying it on ubnt products.

Established Member
Kudos: 408
Solutions: 41

Has anyone tried the Superhydrophobic products designed for marine use as an alternative to Neverwet? These would be products such as Hullkote or Sailkote? 

Established Member
Kudos: 319
Solutions: 12

I applied it to a 900 dual unbt yagi. will see if it makes any difference.