Kudos: 501

Re: Ice Storms

rime ice you say?
If you have a particularly unique or challenging project, professional consulting services are available in central Asia, south Asia (AF, PK, IN, BD) and the Vancouver, BC area. Please contact me for more details.
Established Member
Kudos: 917
Solutions: 13

rime ice you say?

@walrus, Vancover, Kabul , everywhere, ANTARTICA... is that you on that pic ? If it is, man do I hate you... not really, but that looks so refreshing Icon Cool

Dont forget to press kudos.jpg if this post was helpful or of great interest !

Grey Mountain, Yukon:
If you have a particularly unique or challenging project, professional consulting services are available in central Asia, south Asia (AF, PK, IN, BD) and the Vancouver, BC area. Please contact me for more details.

@walrus, Vancover, Kabul , everywhere, ANTARTICA... is that you on that pic ? If it is, man do I hate you... not really, but that looks so refreshing Icon Cool

No that is most definitely not me... I am not that crazy, I do the system engineering, budgeting, procurement and hire the climbers. Man Happy
SuperUser
Kudos: 5272
Solutions: 78

Are you in crack Matt?

Nope.
Ice is RF transparent. It's only when it starts to melt that you have problems. Given some frequencies the ice might cause reflection (I'm not sure what it does on 24GHz) but it shouldn't attenuate.
As long as it remains ice it shouldn't be absorbing any RF.
Water molecules are polar. One end of the molecule has a positive charge, and the other end has a negative charge. The water molecules rotate to align with the alternating electric field produced by microwaves. As they rotate quickly back and forth, the water gets hot and absorbs the energy. With ice, the water molecules are locked into position. Since they can't rotate back and forth, they do not convert microwave energy into heat nor do they absorb it.
Try melting an ice cube in the microwave oven and let me know what happens.
Established Member
Kudos: 917
Solutions: 13

Grey Mountain, Yukon:

(Homer Simpson) Dhoooo, I hate you more.... Icon Cool

Dont forget to press kudos.jpg if this post was helpful or of great interest !
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2281
Solutions: 31

rime ice you say?

OMG, it looks scary, is that even safe? Is the tower designed to hold that?
It just looks SCARY, like outer space scary!

Nope.
Ice is RF transparent. It's only when it starts to melt that you have problems. Given some frequencies the ice might cause reflection (I'm not sure what it does on 24GHz) but it shouldn't attenuate.

As long as it remains ice it shouldn't be absorbing any RF.

Water molecules are polar. One end of the molecule has a positive charge, and the other end has a negative charge. The water molecules rotate to align with the alternating electric field produced by microwaves. As they rotate quickly back and forth, the water gets hot and absorbs the energy. With ice, the water molecules are locked into position. Since they can't rotate back and forth, they do not convert microwave energy into heat nor do they absorb it.

Try melting an ice cube in the microwave oven and let me know what happens.

Awesome Chemistry/Physics refresher course but I have learned to not live by the book with RF. As I said no empirical experience but my guy tells me it could be a problem.
RF Armor Shield Kits for Ubiquiti M gear
www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!

All calculations for 222G and hilltop/mountaintop locations + wind loading go out the window when you have to account for a ton of rime ice...
PiRod 36" or 48" face width and a ton of guying, short height tower (60 to 90' max) on mountaintops is near indestructible.
Ancient Member
Kudos: 5958
Solutions: 128

I won't hijack this thread why pea green paint in particular is difficult, so I'll start a new thread on that.
forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?p=329658#post329658

Ice is RF transparent. It's only when it starts to melt that you have problems.

Dense Fog - Nanobridge Works! forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?t=45440
and at post #15 forum.ubnt.com/showpost.php?p=238780&postcount=15

Comprehensive answers here, forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?p=246309

Nano Bridge in winter, with snow problems? forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?p=302388

Nanostation Snow and Ice buildup. forum.ubnt.com/showthread.php?t=36548

And DaDags "expert" opinion starts half way down here, secure.dslreports.com/forum/r25360339-cheap-awesome-backhauls-with-little-interference-maybe.~start=...
Water in any form is not RF transparent. Microwave ovens work upon the principle that water is not RF transparent. ... There is no magical "dry" snow or "cold" ice.
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"
Well engineered projects are indistinguishable from crazy ideas.

Speed, distance, reliability, cost...Pick three.
...World's First Ubiquiti AirMax WISP....
SuperUser

Which point are you trying to prove with those threads, Justin? Man Happy
Ancient Member

Which point are you trying to prove with those threads, Justin? Man Happy
Simply helping you affirm you explanation.
Man Happy Man Happy Man Happy
WHT = Short Form Acronym for "You couldn't handle me even if I came with instructions!"

SuperUser

Simply helping you affirm you explanation.

LOL. Ok. I couldn't tell, but I thought so. There's some bad science in a few of those threads (not yours).
Ancient Member

OHHHHHHH........HAHAHAH......Yeah, there was. DaDawgs can be ummm.."interesting" at times.
When I was explaining that to Rory two years ago...he was sticking an ice cube in his microwave while on still on the phone with me.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2281
Solutions: 31

I have never had ice on my SAF antennas, and snow does not seem to effect them (falling snow) nut caked snow or ice on the antenna I think would be BAD!

I just wanted to point out that I called this! - LOL
RF Armor Shield Kits for Ubiquiti M gear
www.rfarmor.com
They really do work!
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

So. Ahem. Getting back on topic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but pure ice shouldn't affect the signal right? It's only when it starts to melt, gets impurities in it, or has snow caked to it.

mhoppes, We are living in Lakeview, OR and we have some bad snow/ice storms here and when a slight sheet of ice or snow builds up on it it seems to effect it quite a bit atleast for us. Then when it starts to build the signal goes down the drain and our customers lose service for a couple minutes till we clear it off. But to answer your question in our own experience the AirFiber doesn't do good with making it non stick and it seems to build even with very little snow.

Take into consideration our elevation is also around 5000ft.