Kudos: 5

Lost Contact with AF-11x Q? and VLAN MGMT bug

[ Edited ]

Hi,

So while attempting to configure an AF-11x radio, I hit "Save" to save changes, changing IP and enabling in-band management using VLAN 200.  Thereafter I lost contact with the radio.  So I tried the 10-second reset button while powered on to reset to factory.  No luck.  Still no response.  So I tried what has worked with other AirFiber products, the hold-down-reset-while-powering-on to try for a TFTP recovery.  No response from the device.  I tried a sniffer to see if the device would generate ANY packets outbound to see if I could get an idea what's going on.  no luck, sniffing packets directly on the port, or on the VLAN.  No packets, none via in-band DATA port, none via MGMT port, even after multiple power cycles/reset attempts.

Any ideas?  At this point, the device will be RMAed soon.

ALSO, as I was working on a pair of radios, the OTHER radio is acting normal and is reachable with the fresh configuration.  HOWEVER, there IS A BUG!  Any attempt to enable in-band VLAN management FAILS TO SAVE!  So for now, in-band management is untagged.  *sigh*  Any chance this bug will be fixed, Ubiquiti?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 29
Solutions: 8

Re: Lost Contact with AF-11x Q? and VLAN MGMT bug

Hello, what version of firmware are you using?  Thanks.

A VLAN bug has been identified and is fixed in a v4.0 Beta 3 release that will hopefully be posted today.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 29
Solutions: 8

Did the radios LEDs show the factory reset flash when holding down the factory reset button? When the unit factory resets, its IP address is 192.168.1.20.

[ Edited ]

Hello.
I had a couple of AirFiber 24 bridging some VLANS, this is the switch (procurve) port config and Airfiber management:

port 24 on switch 1 -> tagged vlans: 1,5,7 / no untagged vlan.
Management Airfiber 1 -> management vlan 7, ip 192.168.60.1

port 24 on switch 2 ->tagged vlans: 1,5,7 / no untegged vlan.
Management Airfiber 2 -> management vlan 7, ip 192.168.60.2

we are cleaning out our VLANs propagation as we realised that we do not need VLAN 1 and 5.

STEP 1 -> we removed the vlan from the switch ports (both sides).

RESULT 1 -> so far so good.

STEP 2 -> as we are bridging one VLAN only we decided to bridge it in untag mode (access), we untagged it on both sides
RESULT 2 -> the radio bridge is working and bridging the vlan from one side to the other, but we lost contact with the airfiber management (not both actually, from site 1 you can manage radio on site 2 and vice versa. this is because you do not have VLAN tagging agreement on the data cable, but you can reach the opposite antenna via radio interface).

STEP 3 -> we put the VLAN tag on the switches ports back again, just to reach both the radios management.
RESULT 3 -> ok, bridge working and both managements working.

STEP 4 -> we turned off the "management VLAN" switch on the Airfiber and hit "save". Both units. we were expecting to reach them again once changed the VLAN tag on the switch ports.
RESULT 4 -> we cannot reach the airfiber management anymore, not with the untag port, nor with the tag port.
--- EDIT >>  ARP table on switches shows airfiber's ip addresses with 0000000 mac and no switch port.

ADDITIONAL TESTS:
- we wire-sharked the data port, no traffic from UBN mac adresses, in neither VLANs config.
- we wire-sharked the config port, no traffic at all
- we searched for the airfiber with the UBNT discovery tool on both data and config ports, none
- we tried to ping from 192.168.1.100 / 255.0.0.0 to 192.255.255.255, no answer (data port ancd config port)
- we tried to config the switch port to use default vlan (untagged 1 and tagged 7 cause we still need the bridge to keep on working) on both sites, put a computer on VLAN1 (untagged of course) and trying to reach it or discovery it... no luck.

we cannot afford a factory reset, the unit is really unconfortable to be reached (25 meter pole)... is anything else we could try to do before?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1255
Solutions: 157

What software version are you running? 

[ Edited ]

dont know exactly, can't look at it now Man Happy

I can tell it's different from the old one because of appearance:

despite of the old version this has vertical speed graph in home page and vlan management switcher is a colored one, on the right side of the setting screen, despite of being a grey switcher on the bottom of the IP settings.

updated one month ago (more or less)

could be 403 but I'm not 100% sure.

found it. still have the entry on air control, it is 4.03 AF.

hello,

surry for bumping this up, bu i'm going to site1 in a few (8) hours.. any idea on what i should try or check? i have access to the config port on site1, really hard to get it on site2 anyway..