Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2096
Solutions: 324

Re: A lot of problems after updading to v8.4!!

Guys, an update from us on this: there is an issue with UNMS support in v8.4 and v6.1. We are testing a fix as we speak and will be releasing a fixed released this week. Sorry for the inconvenience here, please disable UNMS until this release is available.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

I was having the same problems that others listed.  In my case I also noticed that ping times would increase and then start dropping out.  The problems would occur approximately every three to eight hours.

I just now found the suggestion to disable UNMS.  Not knowing about this, I enabled the watchdog timers on all radios to reboot after 12 lost pings in two minutes (pinging every 10 seconds).  Having the radios reboot themselves minimized down time from hours to about 6 minutes at each event.

Unfortunately, forcing your customers to experience 6 minute outages several times a day drives customers to competitors in short order.

Roy Grove
President
ezwisp.com Inc.
Deleted Account

@UBNT-SNK  @UBNT-James

This bug is a showstopper.  Would you consider:

a. posting a sticky in the non-AC forum?  I posted a thread there which you locked but at least did not delete so hopefully people with AirMAX M will see that before they upgrade.

b. changing the title of the sticky in the AC forum (

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-AC/Resolving-airOS-v8-4-v6-1-issues/td-p/2084238/jump-to/first-...) to something more descriptive?  I think it should indicate the seriousness of the bug and also highlight the relationship with UNMS.  No offense but "resolving airOS issues" is way too vague.

I was testing 8.4.0 throughout the betas / RC and it was fine, then I suddenly had to spend 2 unscheduled hours this morning dealing with the problems the final release created.  It is especially a problem for XC radios as they do not come back up after they go down (you have to power cycle them).

I know you guys are working hard to fix the WD reset bug but but I have to agree with @wtm  here.  Please don't make any changes between the last beta/RC and the release version.  8.3.2 is really close to perfect, I know some of us are more patient than others but I would rather wait an extra week or two and get it right.

Veteran Member
Kudos: 2748
Solutions: 173

@SkyIP

That's one of your problems, NEVER use "AUTO" on the transmit channel selection out of the Scan list.

Always select a channel to transmit on !

Ubiquiti Employee

@Deleted Account I understand and thanks for making those topics. We did not think a minor update to the UNMS agent would cause these issues and in retrospect it was not a good move to include it between the RC and final release. I have made sure we do not include changes between the RC and final release from now on and test the UNMS component under a wider range of conditions.
Deleted Account

Thanks @UBNT-SNK  I really appreciate your response and the way you handle the airMAX team in general.  I like the "Introducing your airMAX community team" post you made a couple months back as well.  I wish the other Ubiquiti teams would do the same thing.

Looking forward to 8.4.1!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 3

UBNT-SNK,

Thank you for your honest feedback and efforts to release v8.4.1 as soon as possible.

Please note:  changing ANYTHING between release candidate software and the actual release is a HUGE process/policy error that should never, ever happen.  Period.  Full stop.  This mistake effectively broke all AC radio links and caused your customers to incur huge costs of trying to restore failed radio links, responding to subscriber complaints, and lost subscribers.  Even worse, because your release candidate software was stable, customers like myself did not initially investigate AC radios which significantly and unnecessarily increased the time for network operators to eliminate the resulting network failures.  The end result:  this mistake cost your customers millions of dollars and was totally avoidable.

Moving forward, Ubiquiti must ensure that this never happens again.  An appropriate incentive to Ubiquiti software developers and project managers:  the person who allowed the change between release candidate software and the actual release software should face significant disciplinary action.

Roy Grove
President
ezwisp.com Inc.
Ubiquiti Employee

@ezwisp Understood and agreed, and I have made sure going forward that this is what we do. It was an error in judgement to include this updated UNMS agent between RC and final release for which I accept responsibility. The agent itself is a standalone, independently tested module and so I believed the risk was minimal to integrate it. I understand this was not the best move and it will not happen again.

@Deleted Account Thanks. Just trying to do my best and make great products for all of you to use and grow your businesses.

The buck stops with me with airOS releases. We will continue to improve and avoid the same mistake in the future.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 2748
Solutions: 173

@UBNT-SNK

What might work for you , is what Mikrotik does on their software (Yeah, I know a competitor)

They do the betas, then bring out a Stable version.

Then there will be a "Bug fix" version, that ONLY addresses bugs that was found in the stable version.

(Usually this is called a .5 version, as the .5 is added to the stable version number)

NO new options are on the Bug fix versions.

Then you have the next stable version you are working on that has any "Upgraded Options" on it !

There should NEVER be any changes between an OK tested final RC version and the Stable version !

If you find a new bug, then bring out an additional RC version to address it !

Of course, a fix for a "Hack, or security breach" on a firmware will be an exception to this !

(But that "fix" should ONLY address the hack, and not change anything else!)

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

@wtm Yes, understood. As I mentioned we will not be introducing changes in the future between an RC and a stable version. The difficulty begins when you make exceptions as you describe for security issues for example - I considered this change to be low enough risk to fall into that category. We live and learn, I have taken this lesson on board and you will see the results going forward.
Ubiquiti Employee

Guys - we have released the RC for v8.4.1 and v6.1.1 today which resolves the UNMS memory leak issue.

Please see the beta forum post here: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-GPS-Sync-Beta/airOS-v6-1-1-RC-and-airOS-v8-4-1-RC-Has-Been-Rele...

We are releasing the public version tomorrow.