Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1
Accepted Solution

AirMax AC Compatibility mode and GPS sync to support AirmaxM CPE's

What is the current status/usability of Airmax AC Access Points in compatibility mode to support existing AirMaxM CPE's?  Also, what is the status of GPS sync in Airmax AC?  Have the bugs been worked out?

I'm wondering if it would make sense (and give better performancy/stability) to replace existing Rocket M5 AP's with Rocket AC AP's for use with Nano M5 CPE's?  

Will this give us better performance and less interference potential, and could we use GPS sync, or does GPS sync still have issues and would it even work with M Series CPE's and AC AP's?  

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 3070
Solutions: 233

Re: AirMax AC Compatibility mode and GPS sync to support AirmaxM CPE's

I'm swapping out all of my M5 access points for Prisms and seeing awesome results. I've got 46 M5 stations on a single prism AP and it's loving life. Made it easy to diagnose a customer that had a tree blowing branches in the wind causing degradation, as well as an old Nanobridge M5 that lost a transmit chain. The additional metrics, and the far superior AC mixed-mode protocol make it WELL worth upgrading your access point, let alone the benefits of being able to now migrate/add AC clients, and tx/rx filtering and the option to GPS sync as part of your upgrade path.
Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Established Member
Kudos: 228
Solutions: 36

GPS Sync is currently AC only. M compatibility is planned to be implemented after the AC GPS software is stable from what I've read.

You still might get better performance using an AC AP in mixed mode. Some have done that with good results. You could always get one AP to trial and see how it works in your case.
SuperUser

I'm swapping out all of my M5 access points for Prisms and seeing awesome results. I've got 46 M5 stations on a single prism AP and it's loving life. Made it easy to diagnose a customer that had a tree blowing branches in the wind causing degradation, as well as an old Nanobridge M5 that lost a transmit chain. The additional metrics, and the far superior AC mixed-mode protocol make it WELL worth upgrading your access point, let alone the benefits of being able to now migrate/add AC clients, and tx/rx filtering and the option to GPS sync as part of your upgrade path.
Tony Pierro
Kudos: 2
Solutions: 1

On a related note.  Can a newer AC CPE (Such as a PBE‑5AC‑Gen2) be able to connect to a non AC Access Point such as a non AC Rocket M5 AP in airmax mode or would it require an AC access point?  

SuperUser

Unfortunately, no, the AC needs an AC access point to associate with.
Tony Pierro