Highlighted
Kudos: 105
Solutions: 21

Can't use 2.4 Ghz airView with 5 Ghz management radio on NanoBeam 2AC at the same time?

[ Edited ]

We often run into customers that are blaming us for slow Internet when the problem is with interference at their location.

What we really need is a portable 2.4 Ghz spectrum analyzer to find 2.4 interference in a customer location with a smartphone. 

So we thought that we'd use airView on a 2.4 AC radio because this is difficult or maybe impossible with an M radio.  Part of the problem is that U-Installer uses 2.4 Ghz so would be cluttering up our readings.

We were pleasantly suprised to find that the switch on the U-Installer would just turn off WiFi but would still power the 2AC radio.  Then we could connect a smartphone to the 5 Ghz management radio, open the GUI, then run airView.

This doesn't seem to work - it appears that airView won't work while the management radio is on.  A bit disappointing.  I wish that we could change frequencies on the U-Installer.  And I wish that it was dual band so that it could get out of the way while doing 2.4 Ghz stuff.

Is the airView radio just a dual band radio that gets reconfigured between 2.4 Ghz for airView and 5 Ghz for management?

And there isn't even a pass through port on the U-Installer to let us do this with by dragging around a laptop, U-Installer, and radio.

Please do not respond to my threads if you're going to be rude or condescending. We're all learning here... Icon Razz

From the forum rules:
* While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3310
Solutions: 671
Contributions: 73

Re: Can't use 2.4 Ghz airView with 5 Ghz management radio on NanoBeam 2AC at the same time?

JWW wrote:

Is the airView radio just a dual band radio that gets reconfigured between 2.4 Ghz for airView and 5 Ghz for management?

Correct, this is the same radio.  I'll see about adding something to the UI to make that clear.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Established Member
Kudos: 448
Solutions: 16

Re: Can't use 2.4 Ghz airView with 5 Ghz management radio on NanoBeam 2AC at the same time?

AirGateways work really well for this. They also have the benefit of remotely providing us this information when the customer calls to complain about slow internet. A quick overview of the WiFi spectrum inside their home will usually point out some new gadget they installed that is broadcasting on the same WiFi channel. Just had that happen this morning in fact, and the AG on site gave us the needed info and saved us a truck roll.

Unfortunately the AirGateways appear to be entering EOL status and there is no suitable replacement available for them.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1461
Solutions: 207

EOL isn't planned for AGW.

We've never tried airView on an airGateway.   Probably because we have our CPEs set as routers and haven't figured out a way to get past them to the airGateways. 

That would certainly be helpful though in a lot of cases.  As would being able to see STAs connected to the airGateways and what their signal strengths and throughputs are.

Still it would be nice to have a simple, directional, inexpensive, handheld spectrum analyzer for our technicians , especially for 2.4 Ghz noisemakers that aren't WiFi.

Please do not respond to my threads if you're going to be rude or condescending. We're all learning here... Icon Razz

From the forum rules:
* While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts.
Established Member
Kudos: 448
Solutions: 16

We also use routing on CPE. With port forwarding configured on the CPE we can reach the AG behind it. The AirGateways don't have Airview but they have a site survey tool that tells us what else is broadcasting in the area.

You can also use a Nanostation M2 Loco as a handheld Airview analyzer.

We've got to work out how to contact our airGateways, I know more about RF than networking...

But if we're at the customer's place it's easy to use an app to find WiFi broadcasting.   It's the things that are not WiFi,  but are making 2.4 Ghz noise that we are looking for - leaky microwave ovens, video extenders, sound bars, etc.

From the forum rules: