Emerging Member
Kudos: 90

Different SSID's on tower or one?

I'm sure this must have been discussed before, but the search is only turning up Unifi results.

When there is a tower with 4-6 AC sectors, would it be recommended to use different SSID's for each sector or one and the same? If one SSID would be used, do clients hop between access points? Does that go smooth? 

SuperUser
Kudos: 3889
Solutions: 352

Re: Different SSID's on tower or one?

We use different SSIDs. Clients can hop between APs, but will not always connect to the strongest.
Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 506
Solutions: 166

[ Edited ]

I recommend different SSIDs for every AP. It may seem more complicated, but as WisTech said, the clients can hop back and forth and not be on the correct sector.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Kudos: 12
Solutions: 2

We use one SSID on the same tower, and mac acl to control Client association and increased security.

If we experience an AP failure we are able to roam clients to "secondary" ap disabling mac acl. 

SuperUser
Kudos: 9087
Solutions: 598
Contributions: 2

One point I want to add about this is that failure of Prism 5 AP's seems very rare.  Lightning ESD strikes pretty much being the only thing that can make an AP radio fail.  And when that happens pretty much all the AP's on a tower would fail.  The GEN2 prisms are even less likely to be affected by lightning.

So as much as I like to plan for redundancy, AP failure just doesn't seem to ever happen.  At least not in my experience. 

ubiquiti certified trainer :: ubwa | uewa
Kudos: 12
Solutions: 2

I agree with you @ClaudeSS, but we experienced other kind of failures: cable,connectors (umidity or damage), surge protectors. I think it's always better to be prepared for an AP failure.

Gen2 seems to be very good HW, but it's also too early to state that tey are rock solid. 

My mind goes to TI Rocket AP sometimes :-).

This is my opininon and my way to operate, It's the right choice for me, not for everybody.