Kudos: 187
Solutions: 19
Accepted Solution

Litebeam AC Throughput Inquiry

[ Edited ]

I am designing a new PtMP ac network for myself. My question is one CPE will be a Litebeam AC. I heard they have some throughput issues. The AP will be the litebeam 120 mounted on a watertower, the litebeam cpe will be 50 ft high. What kind of throughput have you guys seen out in the field?? I don't want Airspeed. I dont want what Airlink says. I wanna know how much real traffic I can send through this at one time. This will be linking me to my headend sitting on a 50/5 connection, with a file server there as well. I'm hoping to be able to pull up to 50 mbps from the Internet and past 100 mbps from my server across my WLAN PtMP simultaneously. litebeam ptmp.PNG

Accepted Solutions
SuperUser
Kudos: 3889
Solutions: 352

Re: Litebeam AC Throughput Inquiry

If you can hold a solid CINR of 30dB+, wider channel widths are capable of passing hundreds of Mbps. If you'd like 50Mbps Internet + 100Mbps server access simultaneously, run the link at 30Mhz if you can hold 8X.
Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.

View solution in original post

SuperUser
Kudos: 11074
Solutions: 685
Contributions: 1

The "issues" with the LBE Radio really come down to it's poorer noise immunity compared to other more expensive radios, and it's side lobes due to it's reflector/feed design.   I've used them for short hops and easily gotten well over 100Mb across a 20MHz channel if there's good CINR.   If it's a noisy environment, or a long link, yes use a bigger unit, like a PBE 400 or 500.   The LBE was designed specifically to replace the AirGrid for a very cost sensitive market segment, so it's not as advanced technically as some of the other AC radios, but it's very capable in the proper circumstances.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":It's not Rocket Science! - Oh wait, Actually it is... "NASA bumper sticker
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1994
Solutions: 303

What kind of throughput issues are you thinking of?

[ Edited ]

I was just having a discussion with an advanced wisp owner and he noticed a lot of issues with them and was trying to nudge me towards a powerbeam 400 or 500, but after some of the screenshots i've seen from peoples cpe's out in the field here in this community, I just kinda wanna hear what they can pull through under a heavy load, of course assuming its a clear fresnel with a clean noise floor (mine will be mostly LOS).

SuperUser

If you can hold a solid CINR of 30dB+, wider channel widths are capable of passing hundreds of Mbps. If you'd like 50Mbps Internet + 100Mbps server access simultaneously, run the link at 30Mhz if you can hold 8X.
Tony Pierro
SuperUser

The "issues" with the LBE Radio really come down to it's poorer noise immunity compared to other more expensive radios, and it's side lobes due to it's reflector/feed design.   I've used them for short hops and easily gotten well over 100Mb across a 20MHz channel if there's good CINR.   If it's a noisy environment, or a long link, yes use a bigger unit, like a PBE 400 or 500.   The LBE was designed specifically to replace the AirGrid for a very cost sensitive market segment, so it's not as advanced technically as some of the other AC radios, but it's very capable in the proper circumstances.

Jim

" How can anyone trust Scientists? If new evidence comes along, they change their minds! " Politician's joke (sort of...)
"Humans are allergic to change..They love to say, ‘We’ve always done it this way.’ I try to fight that. "Admiral Grace Hopper, USN, Computer Scientist
":The biggest problem in tech I see right now is that most users don't want to do things that are hard. That doesn't bode well for the industry or the society.": (me. actually ;-)

[ Edited ]

You are the man! You both rock!!!!!! Thanks!!
Out here in the cold sticks on Minnesota, internet can be hit or miss. I'm a half mile away from fiber or dsl.. so I've arranged a lease in town for $25 a month to host an Litebeam 5AC AP up there on the Water Tower with free power. I'll shoot to it with a Nanobeam 5AC 16 from my mothers house in town to feed it, and then connect from my Litebeam 5AC from my 30' Tower up on the roof of my farmhouse. Hoping for excellent results! A straight PtP is not feasable due to the 35' lot height restriction in town and Minnesota's abuntant trees.

Nonetheless, I really appreciate both of your feedback. I've already ordered the radio's a couple days ago, just looking for some reassurance.

The 2.4 is heavily congested, I need to be on a 5 to 10 wide channel to dodge interference, but the 5.8 is pretty much wide open so my performance should be great.

SuperUser

Great, I prefer the Powerbeam 500mm AC variation, that's our 'smallest' common CPE on our network.
Tony Pierro

Thats a big dish man. Haha

SuperUser

Our clients are miles out from the AP though. Man Wink We even use 34dBi dishes at some locations that are desperate!
Tony Pierro
Highlighted
SuperUser

[ Edited ]

Oh I don't know, I used to design Telco Microwave links with 3 meter dishes and satellite uplinks with 9 meter ones, complete with tracking drives....     It's not really "big" if you don't need a crane to install it ;-)

Jim