Kudos: 3

NS-5AC can't power up an IP Camera?? How to solve?

HI Guys

We're using NS-5AC to install IP cameras on light posts and right now we're stuck because the darn thing can't seem to power up the cameras.

Yes we've turned on the poE passthru on the Radio

and yes we've made sure there is power

Connecting the PoE injector's PoE out to 5AC's main Eth (PoE in) the radio turns on w/o issues

Then when we connect poE Powered IP camera to the 2ndary Port (poE passthru / out of 5AC) the Camera does not come on,.

Hivision Camera Power Specs:

12 VDC, 0.5A, max. 6W PoE (802.3af, 37V to 57V), 0.2A to 0.1A, max. 7.5W

NS 5AC PoE Injector Spec:

24V, 0.5A Gigabit PoE Supply

(is 5AC enough to power the radio and an IP camera? or shall i use/change POE injector to something more efficient?)

Notes:

- We have tried this with 8 5AC radios, 5 cameras, nothing works.

- We have tried using a different IP camera , still wont turn on.

getting frustrated here.

Hope someone can confirm if we're missing something here or if the 5AC's PoE injector is meant to power the Radio only.. (w/c would be abosultely rediculous)

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3569
Solutions: 737
Contributions: 73

Re: NS-5AC can't power up an IP Camera?? How to solve?

The NS5AC will output whatever the input voltage is.    The included POE is 24VDC and will output 24VDC on the secondary port. 

If you use an 802.3af power brick to power the NS5AC, you should be able to power the camera as well, but please note you are ~1Watt over 802.3af 15Watt power budget (NS5AC 8.5W + Camera 7.5W = 16Watt)

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

hmmm alright so this must be it, being 1 watt over, the camera can't be powered anymore ... thanks for pointing that out

btw, most IPC are around 7-10w, i wonder why 5AC came with such underpowered poe brick specially since its selling point for the 2dnary port is for easy IPC connection Man Sad
Ancient Member
Kudos: 10338
Solutions: 1587

@TheDude wrote:
hmmm alright so this must be it, being 1 watt over...

No, that is not the only problem now.  The camera needs 37V to 57V but you currently feed it 24V.

Ubiquiti Employee

[ Edited ]

I'm basing this on 802.3af input voltage, NS5AC max consumption and the listed camera max consumption.

In other words, it won't with 24VDC input, but MAY work with 802.3af input, but power draw could exceed the available 15Watts when using 802.3af.

NS5AC units can be powered by 24VDC or 802.3af and will pass through whatever the input voltage is.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Wait, i don't think that's correct.

I think it's absurd for small IP cameras to require 37v and up. most cams are just 12v
and as per spec

Hivision Camera Power Specs:
12 VDC, 0.5A, max. 6W PoE (802.3af, 37V to 57V), 0.2A to 0.1A, max. 7.5W

Doesn't that clearly states that it requires 12VDC @ 0.5A with perhaps support for up to 57V?

Now NS 5AC PoE Injector Spec:
24V, 0.5A Gigabit PoE Supply

So I think the Voltage is OK but clearly the Power supply is not outputting enough amps required by both the radio and the camera

24v @ only 0.5A is so low

I think this is where the issue is, yeh?
Ancient Member

I'm sure the 12V spec is only by a separate power terminal, not PoE.

Well i dont understand why a device would have 2 power profiles and electronics , 1 requiring 12v from DC direct, and 1 requiring another minimum voltage range if powered via PoE. that doesn't make sense at all.
Ancient Member

Makes perfect sense to me.

If you really think that the 24V, 12W Poe brick you have should power the cam then plug the cam directly into the brick without the radio in between.  That will rule out your prognosis that it is a matter of not enough watts.

we tried it actually. we used 5AC's poe injector for the camera and it powered up fine. Camera requires 0.5A, Poe injector provides 0.5A , just right .. but put antenna in between (also requiring 0.5A) then camera wont power up.

Not really sure if im on the right track but im looking around for a PoE injector that can provide 1A or higher and will test if both antenna and IPC can be powered up together ..
Ancient Member

Did you have the same length of wire when you tested without the radio?  Remember that wire length = voltage drop.  Best to find a 48V PoE brick as current is half that of 24V so less voltage drop as well.

Ancient Member

@TheDude wrote:
Camera requires 0.5A, Poe injector provides 0.5A...

Don't confuse amps and watts.  You best brush up on Ohm's Law.  The cam requires 0.5A at 12V which is 0.25A at 24V.  At 48V that would be 0.125A.

"Did you have the same length of wire when you tested without the radio? Remember that wire length = voltage drop. Best to find a 48V PoE brick as current is half that of 24V so less voltage drop as well."

The wire tested on is very short less than 3 meters..

oh yah.. Man Sad I will admit, i am no expert at the electronics side of things and not really all that knowledgable in these amps and watts stuff... so apologies for my noobishness

However though, in actual practice, the camera does not want to power up with the radio... and regardless of amp volt watts conversion, i dont see any other solution that going for a stronger power brick with same voltage range (so as not to overload the equipment) and higher amps (which moves everything up along the line of conversions) ... at least in my uneducated theory Man Tongue ..... but yeh i mean what else is there that i can try?

We're using ubiquity tough cable cat5e short run cable max 3m - this rules out cable stuffs
We tested both radio and camera to power up independently but not together - this confirms that equipment is working condiction
We even tested with other camera units of same model and getting the same results

We tested directly connecting the camera to a power brick ( 12v 1A ), while its LAN cable is connected to the secondary port of the 5AC and they both started to work ... this a dirty substandard solution however and makes the poe passthru of the 5AC useless

Man Sad

is it safe to use POE-24-24W

on 5AC? I'm thinking about trying that
Ubiquiti Employee

@TheDude wrote:

Yes, the main concern is voltage, the radio will draw what it needs as far as current/Amps.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Highlighted
Emerging Member
Kudos: 27

@TheDude wrote:

PoE passthrough on the NS5AC is switchable, the switching circuitry will no doubt drop the voltage a small amount so if you're feeding 24v into the NS5AC you may only have 22v to give the camera.

The camera is designed for 48v PoE, you're in for a bad time trying to feed it with anything less.

The NS5AC supports 48v, the camera is spec'ed for 48v PoE - why wouldn't you get a 48v PoE brick and be done with it?

Thanks for your inputs ..

As far as I understand (correct me if im wrong) the camera is "designed" to support 48v PoE but does not necessarily require it.
To prove this, we've been able to power it up with the 5AC's stock PoE brick of 24V, 0.5A Gigabit PoE Supply just fine.

But putting the 5AC antenna in middle kills it.

48v brick is more expensive for us where i am specially since this project is already way over budget.
Hence I am going to try Ubiquiti's POE-24-24W (1A) brick and see if that pushes the power up a notch to support both devices .

Really hope it works though. Seems like it'll be enough.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1774
Solutions: 274

Let us know how it goes.
SuperUser
Kudos: 3804
Solutions: 329

I'm honestly surprised that camera powers up at 24V, I have a few Dahua 3MP cameras that don't do a thing at 24V and require 3af.
Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.

Im curious of the outcome. How did it go? We use these allot to send signals for IP acameras. But the cameras we use have their own POE+ midspan. But it would be conveneint to only use a single brick instead of two if possible. Otherwise i was thinking the smaller US-8-60 or 150W.