Highlighted
Kudos: 1050
Solutions: 59

Noisy Environment, ReSe testing/FF testing... Observations

[ Edited ]

Had a competitor jump directly on one of my 40mhz channels. I only have 1 customer on this particular sector.

Since they were not home using it, I decided to run a few tests and see how different configurations changed the speeds.

When GPS was on, I was using 8ms 67/33 sync.

Below are my unscientific results. Speedtests were ran from AC2.

Here is the Airview scan, the noise is highlighted. The GUI on the AP stated about -73 noise floor.

airview.PNG

Here is the CPE main screen. I am only running a RX speedtest on the CPE.

Capture.PNG

Here is the traffic graph of my testing. I decided to test out ReSe and see if it made any difference in the continuous speedtest. Did not seem to really make a significant difference, maybe lowered the peak but raised the floor a bit?

traffic.PNG

Alternative data rate module certainly lowered the overall speed, but it helped the fluctuations. This seemed to work as expected.

The largest speed increase came when I disabled FF/GPS sync.. I went from 22meg download to 60+mbps.. Its been stated FF mode does not like interference and this seems to drive the point home. Links with heavy interference should certainly have FF mode disabled. Unless its a heavily loaded sector perhaps.

rese and gps off.PNG

Just some random observations from my testing... Snow is flying here so I got bored Man Happy 

Established Member
Kudos: 131
Solutions: 8

Re: Noisy Environment, ReSe testing/FF testing... Observations

Now for the shotgun and take out competitor's radio ...  Man Happy

Please speak slowly....I am not fluent in ID-10-T.

Found the problem...it was the interface between the seat and the keyboard.
Veteran Member
Kudos: 859
Solutions: 200

Your signals are to high on both sides...also there is chain mismatch on your Nanobeam.
Align your devices and lower TX Power to get -55 to -50 dBm signals.
===================================================
We all work for KUDOs here.
Thx

@Skipper0815

Sorry you are incorrect. This signal gives me a 30dbi SNR, i've lowered it and results were dramatically worse.

Also the DB mismatch is partially due to noise, both units are perfectly aligned. When I bounce frequencies around, the chains are perfect.

I have over 50 urban CPE's parked at -45ish and they are working flawlessly.

Established Member

[ Edited ]

Hi @Wifimax

Actually @Skipper0815 is not incorrect...you are running just a little too hot...45-55 is good...40-42 is hot.  This is partly why you have low modulations...retries going on.

Established Member

Oh, and of course the idiot blasting into your frequency without regard to anyone else.   Man Happy

@tuckerdog

I'm sorry, you are also incorrect here.... I have done extensive testing on this link, and other links with -70 noise floors and getting your SNR to 30db outweighs the too "hot" of signal I am receiving. I have done testing 1db at a time...

Unless you want to post your real world bench tests simulating the same environment, I'm not looking for advice here on how to improve the link without any actual tests being ran on your side to prove me wrong.

I just counted, I have 46 customers with a signal stronger than -44 and they are all working flawlessly, VoIP, gaming, VPN, and speedtests of over 250mbps.

Do you have any real life tests to back up your assertion? I agree -42 is too hot in most circumstance, but if you have a -70 noise floor, it is necessary.

This whole post was more about my observations of Airmax gear with high noise.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 494
Solutions: 31

@Wifimax can you tell me your Control and center frequencies, and also the same for the interferer ?

If the interferer also affects the AP or is heard by the AP,  at the AP the sensitivity threshold can be manually set to the lower of the two chains RX signal and a 10 dB margin.

If you partially overlapping with the interferer, in some situations we have seen it helps if you fully overlapp and turn on ReSE, and if using 40MHz use the same control frequency as well.

Established Member

@Wifimax

Fine, then...no advise needed...no advise given.

It is free, and that's what it's worth, I suppose.

@UBNT-sriram

I was at 5810 with a control frequency of 5820 during the time of the tests.

I believe competitor was on 5800

I played around with the sensitivity threshold last night and set it as you recommended, but did not see a dramatic change in performance... I did not spend a ton of time on that but i'll test some more and see if I can tweak things slowly.

Kudos: 176
Solutions: 3

Thanks for the observations. This leads to the question how much ATPC based on signal level received at the AP makes sense in competitive/interference situation. I guess you turned it off or raised the level.

@UBNT-sriramwouldn't it be neccessary to do ATPC based on SNR or effective modulation rate instead of signal strength to adapt to interference situations automaticaly?

Kudos: 870
Solutions: 40

[ Edited ]

@Wifimax Where other clients passing data when you ran your test on FF vs Flex?  I ask because with FF traffic will be divided more fairly and a client cannot monopolize the AP as on Flex.  That could explain your 20Mbps on FF vs 60Mbps on Flex for this client.

A better test would be to run speedtests to multiple clients at once and look at the aggregate AP performance on FF w/ReSE vs Flex and see if your AP can actually push more or less data in your environment.

@sbyrd

No unfortunately this is a new tower with just the one client. I will have to move off the noisy channel before i get it loaded with customers for more testing :-\