Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 4

Poor download LAN performance with Apple products on UBNT CPE

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone,

It seems that for all of our customers using Apple equipment (either Airport or Macbook laptop directly connected to PoE LAN port) are getting poor LAN download performance ranging from 5 to 10 Mbps while upload works at full speed.  On the same system, I can plug in a non-Apple router or laptop and instantly get full download speed (either 16, 21 or 27 Mbps depending on their plan type).

Any idea what's going on?  I tried numerous settings already such as switching the LAN port from 1000 Full to 100 Full or turning off flow control but the issue still persists.

Best regards,

SkyChoice

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1501
Solutions: 45

Re: Poor download LAN performance with Apple products on UBNT CPE

You don't get it with Windows? Perhaps this is an issue with TCP window scaling behavior on Mac OS vs Win 10? I'm pretty sure Ubiquiti does a bit of testing with Mac OS and Windows 10, actually. But there may be behaviour that is exacerbated more on one platform than another.

Kudos: 4

Correct, only Apple products are impacted.  Linux and Windows products operate at full speed.  However, with an Apple routing device such as Airport that's connected to the UBNT device, any wired or wireless connection behind it gets impacted as well, even non-Apple devices.  The issue does not occur once any non-apple device such as a laptop or router is connected directly to the PoE LAN port.

Kudos: 50
Solutions: 7

Sounds like a bunch of rotten apples to me.. Man Wink Reminds me of a joke I made up back in the day... "So, theres adam and eve, eve takes a bite from the apple, and sin comes into the world... Wanna know why the world is so screwed up today?? Adam and eve went and got a cell phone plan and eve chose an apple." But this is quite common.
In reality, according to this official apple website you just gotta run their web wizard.... Doesn't sound like much help but maybe thats something?? Otherwise, you just gotta tell your customers to ditch the AirPort for an AirRouter lol