Emerging Member
Kudos: 6

Spoof/change mac-address on AirOS7/8

Hi,

I have been reading much about different ways to spoof the mac-address, but I haven't found a sollution for this yet.

Been looking thorugh this list https://community.ubnt.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=false&f...

Also done much googling around regarding mac spoofing in general.

My problem is that on some clients it was set up lock to mac. (This is not a good idea, I knew that)

Now the AP has been fried and changed. So the STA won't connect any more.

I have tried several different sollutions, and different firmwares, but the command 

ifconfig ath0 hw ether xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

won't work. Gives me a: ifconfig: SIOCSIFHWADDR: Operation not supported

I have also tried in a rc.poststart script to do the same but to no avail.

When doing the same command on the wifi0 interface I get a: ifconfig: SIOCSIFHWADDR: Invalid argument

Changing the mac-address of the bridge interface is working, but this is not something the STA uses to confirm mac-address.

I see that if I change the network mode from bridge to router I can spoof the mac. But this is not viable when I use VLANS and static ip-addressing on AP and STA.

I know and I will probably have to go out to each site and change config of the STA, but I still wan't to know why it is not possible. 

I have also looked into installing macchanger mips package on the device to test this, but I haven't dared yet.

I am free to change firmware and make most changes on all interfaces except eth0.

Does anyone have a good suggestion? And I want to know so I can update alle the old posts on this subject so those can die and not cause any more confusion to new readers.

\JAK

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1634
Solutions: 249

Re: Spoof/change mac-address on AirOS7/8

We don't support changing the MAC address of the unit.