Ubiquiti 5GHz LiteBeam AC 23DBI (LBE-5AC-23-US)

I've purchased a set of these trying to make a bridge from two locations I have.  I've used the online tool for maping out the bridge.  It's 3.1 miles apart.  One end is on a tower 100ft in the air.  The other, on top of a TV antenna mast.

link.jpg

There are trees around the house side, there isn't a clear line of site.  But I've tried scanning to no end, not seeing a bit of signal either direction.  I've been using google maps and apps on the phone to help point them towards the direction they need to go, but I'm just wondering if it can't overcome the trees. 

From the tower side, I can see for a good distance as shown.  The red bar is the general area I'm trying to get to.  At 3 miles away, how wide of a beam am I working with on both ends to get it "close"? 
link2.jpg

So I guess I should ask if this is even feasable to try through the trees.  Or am I never going to make it happen?  Is there a different radio that I should try?  I have a 50ft tower that I plan on erecting at my house that will probably get me to the top of the trees at least.   But it'll be some time before that happens.

Kudos: 56
Solutions: 1

Re: Ubiquiti 5GHz LiteBeam AC 23DBI (LBE-5AC-23-US)

5GHz loses somewhere like 10dBi per tree. So two trees and some distance and you will not see the signal. 900 MHz gets through 3 trees. 2.4GHz gets thorugh two trees, however the noise floor is probably horrible and could be unusable as a result.  A chainsaw gets through the rest of the trees,  Get a tower to get above the trees on the house end and you should be in business.

Another alternative is to talk to the owner of the hill just in front of the house antenna. The trees on that hill are probably also killing the signal. Maybe they would like to be bridged as well? If not then you need to plan for perhaps 70ft high trees at both ends and everywhere in between and see what that path looks like.

Re: Ubiquiti 5GHz LiteBeam AC 23DBI (LBE-5AC-23-US)

There's about 2 miles of trees. Many of which are forestry conserve, so no chance of cutting. Guess a tower might be the only possibility for this. And I still need an understanding of the signal pattern width over 3 miles to know if I will even be close.

I've ordered a 41ft telescoping mast to experiment with for now. But I have a feeling that trying to point the radio I have and hoist up will be a exercise in futility.