Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

airMax rocket broken TX

Hi

I have 2 rocket AC connected to a Titanium Sector antenna where the TX has stopped working.

I set it upp for multi point and it worked fine on the ground, once mounted on the tower I could not get any link up.

Now I have spent some time in the lab trying to figure this out. I have done factory reset and tried different firmware but to be able to see the SSID I need to place a power beam 2 meters from the antenna, that gives me a -87 dB signal. RX is working fine. If I swap out the radio it workes fine.

The Log does not give any indication that anything is wrong.

I cannot have equipment up in towers that break without any apperant reason, any ideas what could break the TX?

There are multiple similair threads in the comunity but no answer

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-AC/Rocket-5ac-PTP-SSID-stops-broadcasting/td-p/1934780

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-AC/Rocket-5AC-PTMP-AirPrism-problem-NO-LINK-UNREGISTERING/td-p/...

//Edmund

Oct 17 17:22:18 system: Start
Oct 17 17:22:18 syslogd started: BusyBox v1.19.4
Oct 17 17:22:18 init: Run: /bin/lighttpd -D -f /etc/lighttpd.conf
Oct 17 17:22:18 init: starting pid 431, tty '/dev/null': '/bin/lighttpd -D -f /etc/lighttpd.conf'
Oct 17 17:22:19 FileSystem: Start check...
Oct 17 17:22:19 dropbear[429]: Not backgrounding
Oct 17 17:22:19 init: Run: /bin/ubntspecd -w -t -a -i wifi1 -j airview1 -m 1 -f 20 -s 200
Oct 17 17:22:19 init: starting pid 435, tty '/dev/null': '/bin/ubntspecd -w -t -a -i wifi1 -j airview1 -m 1 -f 20 -s 200'
Oct 17 17:22:19 init: Run: /bin/ulogger
Oct 17 17:22:19 init: starting pid 436, tty '/dev/null': '/bin/ulogger'
Oct 17 17:22:19 init: Run: /sbin/getty -L ttyS0 115200 vt100
Oct 17 17:22:27 zcip: config br0 169.254.79.237
Oct 17 17:22:27 FileSystem: End check.
Oct 17 17:49:41 httpd[460]: Password auth succeeded for 'ubnt' from 192.168.1.111

SuperUser
Kudos: 3381
Solutions: 263

Re: airMax rocket broken TX

@UBNT-James
@UBNT-SNK
Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2573
Solutions: 576
Contributions: 73

Based on your description, it sounds like you could have a bad unit, but I would like to get some details.

Was the Rocket connected to an antenna when you were retesting on the bench?

Did you replace the unit on the tower (swapping only the radio) and it worked OK?

What is the exact model you are seeing this on?  R5AC-Lite, PTP, PTMP, PRISM or PRISM GEN2

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

[ Edited ]

I swapped it to a litebeam since I did not know what has the fault, the whole unit is back in the lab.

I tested it with antenna when I got the -87 dB signal in the lab.

So the antenna and the cables are confirmed working.

I also ran some tests without antenna, could it damage the radio running without antenna?

Could it damage the radio with to high signal level?

It is an airPrism rocket ac 5 GHz model R5AC-PTMP.

//Edmund

Highlighted
Ubiquiti Employee

mumba wrote:

I swapped it to a litebeam since I did not know what has the fault, the whole unit is back in the lab.

I tested it with antenna when I got the -87 dB signal in the lab.

So the antenna and the cables are confirmed working.

I also ran some tests without antenna, could it damage the radio running without antenna?

Could it damage the radio with to high signal level?

It is an airPrism rocket ac 5 GHz model R5AC-PTMP.

//Edmund

I'm not sure if you 100% ruled out the antenna/RF Jumper cables here.  Could you try with another set of new RP-SMA cables and see if you notice any improvements?

For the last two questions, yes, running these units without a load for an extended period of time can damage them along with RX signals that are too high.

If you still see poor results with new RP-SMA cable or don't have a spare set, I'd like to get these units back for review.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

[ Edited ]

I have tried with different cables without any luck.

The second AP that stopped working was configured without antenna since I tried swapping them on site. It was not for a long time but maybe that is what killed it

What is exstensive time? And what is to high signal?

The time was less than 5 min but since I did it in the car to the site there is a posibility that i forgot to disconect it. 

//Edmund

Now the same happend with an airfiber. Never powered on without antenna connected. Never better signal than 50 dB. It worked for 24 h but then the link whent down and it looks just as with the rocket that TX has stopped working on the master side.

Is there any official answer to any HW issue resembling this?

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-AC/Rocket-5AC-PTMP-AirPrism-problem-NO-LINK-UNREGISTERING/td-p/...

In this thread one guy had 10 out of 30 breaking!

//Edmund

Now a third Rocket broke. It was only running in the lab, Never less than 40 dB, never powered on without antenna. It worked for a couple of hours and then after I locked the frequency to 5800 I was never able to see any thing coming out from TX. I reverted back all changes and still nothing from TX. I did a factory reset, still nothing from TX.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 621
Solutions: 58

I have not seen issues like this before. What product exactly is it you are using?

I have the same problem..Rocket 5ac-ptmp bought one along with 2 nanobeams set up in shop worked great..installed on pole and nothing.reversed the config (the rocket as the station) it worked for 20 minutes then nothing.read a post about not having an antenna on when setting up (oops) so i bought another one hooked up antenna put in corner of shop nano in the other,worked for a half an hour then no tx..what gives??

Ubiquiti Employee

danstruck wrote:

I have the same problem..Rocket 5ac-ptmp bought one along with 2 nanobeams set up in shop worked great..installed on pole and nothing.reversed the config (the rocket as the station) it worked for 20 minutes then nothing.read a post about not having an antenna on when setting up (oops) so i bought another one hooked up antenna put in corner of shop nano in the other,worked for a half an hour then no tx..what gives??

I replied to your other thread.

Main thing here is to confirm all radios are on the same grant (if on country code USA) and that the AP frequency is supported on all units.  Do any of your radios have an Activate button on the System tab?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

I sent the .sup file to you unfortunately I had to use  the nano beams to replace a leg of an old ptmp setup using an m5 bullet with an omni ant. and two m5 bullets with flat panels after one quit working.

country code=north america or united states

yes i have the activate button(I applied for an activation code..no rply yet)

I don't know if it helps but I'll give all info I can.

ordered a rocket when arrived I took it out of box hooked up(without ant. and uploaded new firmware to 8.4.2,put back in box.

The nano's I"m using where used as a bridge I set-up in summer to expand wifi to our showgrounds.

when the antenna finally arrived assembled it input my settings then reset the nano to factory'adjusted those settings and again as i said it worked.noticing the firmware on the nano I upgraded that to 8.4.2.Then it quit

So after hours of reading posts and threads I didn't know if not having an antenna on when i upgraded the firmware had any effect on the rocket or if the firmware was an issue'so i ordered a new rocket.When that arrived first thing I did was hook it up to ant.checked firmware which was 7.xx' the nano was 8.3.2.I left firmware as is put in my settings And again it worked.after 20 minutes to an hour it stopped txing.Seeing that a newer firm was available and after reading about firm  8.4.2 isuues i avoided it but uploaded 8.4.3 on both rocket and nano. I opened up inssider app and there is no signal.

PS the rockets have a test date of march/15 if that means anything

Established Member
Kudos: 129

hi,

I had two do this , brand new AC prism's , put one into service it failed overnight, stopped transmitting. Nothing would revive it, firmware, resets etc..

took out the spare we had and that didn't transmit from the start.

A real pain as it had involved a 400 mile round trip and arranged access.

It sounds liek yours is the same, never did get ot the bottom of it and not had chance to send the duff units back as been too busy .

Bill Lewis
Kijoma Broadband
UK 5 GHz WISP - ISPA UK, RIPE Member
Senior Design Eng , RF / Network Eng.
Established Member
Kudos: 129

UBNT-SNK wrote:
I have not seen issues like this before. What product exactly is it you are using?

I think you are one of the ones who replied to my exact same fault report months ago ?

Bill Lewis
Kijoma Broadband
UK 5 GHz WISP - ISPA UK, RIPE Member
Senior Design Eng , RF / Network Eng.
Ubiquiti Employee

@danstruck  I didn't see any .sup files, could you resend to james@ubnt.com and include a link to this thread?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Ubiquiti Employee

kijoma wrote:

hi,

I had two do this , brand new AC prism's , put one into service it failed overnight, stopped transmitting. Nothing would revive it, firmware, resets etc..

took out the spare we had and that didn't transmit from the start.

A real pain as it had involved a 400 mile round trip and arranged access.

It sounds liek yours is the same, never did get ot the bottom of it and not had chance to send the duff units back as been too busy .

If you still have these units, I'd like to get them back for inspection.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

This is the first time I've worked with rockets I've been using m2 bullets for wifi and the m5"s for bridging for a couple of years.I mostly do building maintenance along with install and maintain alarm and security camera systems and with upgrading the cams to ip based I find it is easier to go over the buildings rather than try to run   a thousand foot of wire through them and subject it to an rf nightmare of t-12,t-8 fluorescent light fixtures and ac units air handlers etc.Been playing with dual band uap's..love'em along with the cloud controller feature.I've read your posts along with a hundred others on ptmp issues and was hoping it would be a software issue.Ironically I was scheduled to go to florida to install a ptmp link and install more uap's and setup a gateway however i had health issues which prevented me from going...good thing too one part of the ptmp link was to give the boss faster internet!!! He would not have been happy.I've spent  a couple thousand $$$ over the years on ubiquiti equipment and never had a failure of any kind.They want me go to florida before christmas  and set this up but I dont have a working solution to my problem.

sorry,having communication issues...I forgot that this account was one I had setup for a client that I istalled a wifi system with a controller and this is under his e-mail so he's forwarding me the e-mails. Can you send me the details on how to return these units to the e-mail I tried to send you the .sup file?

Ubiquiti Employee

I found it; will take a look and let you know.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png