SuperUser
Kudos: 1757
Solutions: 55

Re: Prismstation GPS Issues

You can't remotely power off/on? That's pretty important. We built our own with tycon 4x4 and some relay controllers, but now you can buy the EP-S16 which is just awesome.

Kudos: 842
Solutions: 40

@twinkletoes Unfortunatley not for this one AP on the tower.  Originally it was built for 1 backhaul and 3 APs using a Netonix 6 port mini switch.  On that switch port 1 is non POE and port 2 is meant for only Airfiber or other device with POE on all pins.  Port 3-6 are the one with 24V normal POE.

When I converted from 3 Rockets to 4 APs I had to put this AP in port 2 and had to use a POE injector.  I did not have a box big enough to fit a larger switch nor did I think the cost/labor was worth it.

[ Edited ]

Well I hard power cycle the access point and it still has no GPS at all. I guess this is another prism station that has gone bad. For me that will be approximately 4 prism stations that I have had gone bad or have RMA'd out of the original six that I purchased.

Kind of hard to do GPS sync if your access points keep losing GPS due to faulty Hardware or design.

SuperUser
Kudos: 1757
Solutions: 55

Are you getting this with any units after replacing them? Did your units come out of the early beta batch?

[ Edited ]

I've actually had to RMA at least one or two of the units I was sent by RMA for replacement.

All my Prismstations were purchased from streakwave via normal retail channels.

Most of them were purchased sometime last October with a few of them that haven't been deployed yet or maybe purchased late 2017 or the beginning of 2018.

I do not recall the dates of the units that I was sent by RMA.

[ Edited ]

It's just disappointing that in flat open Indiana Farmland I'm having trouble getting GPS signal with these prism stations however a cheap $100 Garmin GPS unit gets excellent GPS tracking in the middle of the Smoky Mountain forest where you can't even get a cell signal.

You would think that a $300 radio would have decent GPS especially when GPS is necessary for frequency reuse.

How can I trust to start doing frequency reuse if after months the GPS can just drop out for no apparent reason.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1500
Solutions: 212

I am not disagreeing with you, but your network and one other are the only places we have seen this to my knowledge. So though I don't know what it is, I still suspect there is another factor at play here.

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-SNK wrote:
I am not disagreeing with you, but your network and one other are the only places we have seen this to my knowledge. So though I don't know what it is, I still suspect there is another factor at play here.

I would love to know what that factor may be as well.  Maybe it is less reported because before 8.5.4 there was not an idicator on the GUI to show GPS satellites or signal strength, so operators did not know they did not have GPS working?  Also, maybe not many operators are using GPS sync so they don't pay attention to the GPS signal.

Just because it has not been reported doesn't always mean it is not happening.

I am at a loss for what other factors are at play because so far the fix has always been to replace the Prismstation till I find one that works.  One AP took me replacing it 3 times before I found one that has so far been stable.

Anyway as suddenly as this last AP lost GPS it is now suddently back.

Capture.PNG

Kudos: 28
Solutions: 3

So far I've only had to RMA one that I got back from RMA on this.  The others fortunately have seemed to resolve when installing.  I have 4 more AP's right now that I need to get replaced and sent back in that are in this issue grouping.  Just doesn't make any sense.  I'm averaging about a 66% success rate on these and doing nothing out of the ordinary (hand tightening connectors, not cranking them down with tools, making sure gps is at the highest point and not obstructed, etc etc)

I should have those 4 sent in by next week.

Thank you for using Ubiquiti Community Support, where the price is always right and the kudos are always welcome.
Highlighted
Established Member
Kudos: 120
Solutions: 8

Hi,

We have had some loose gps input, and am hoping it is just the antenna....

Please speak slowly....I am not fluent in ID-10-T.

Found the problem...it was the interface between the seat and the keyboard.
Ubiquiti Employee

@sbyrd I am quite sure from what we've seen from other users and our own testing that other people aren't seeing this as frequently as you are.
Kudos: 28
Solutions: 3

Just trying to figure out if there's a pattern (if any) involving the ones I've had to RMA. Just going by datecode I see the bulk of them came from the 38th week of 17 "G" whatever that means.

My RMA breakdown is as follows:

10 - 1738G
2 - 1750G

Other shipments received that are working (and *knock on wood* havent' had an issue) come from:

4 - 1740G
2 - 1750G
4- 1752G
10 - 1738G (Had one whole batch of 6 work great out of the box)

climate wise, in Southern Illinois is very similar to @sbyrd 's southern Indiana. Still have a whole slew of R5AC Prism's and R2AC Prism's that fired up with GPS and have never dropped or had any issue in the same locations at the same elevations.

Just throwing that info out there in case it helps you guys track on the issue.
Thank you for using Ubiquiti Community Support, where the price is always right and the kudos are always welcome.
Ubiquiti Employee

Thanks for the info @Geekusoid.