Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted
Kudos: 15

Admin Password Changes

Not sure whom to direct this too, but can you please rollback changes to password requirements? There is no need for symbols and numbers. A good long password that is easy to remember can be far more secure than an 8 character password that contains a number and a symbol... It's been frustrating having to load old configs onto new hardware for the sake of just getting our password.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 683
Solutions: 70

Re: Admin Password Changes

You can direct it to me. We've had a couple of threads discussing it - we won't be removing the password policy, but are going to make it more user friendly. Even though a lot of people here are knowledgeable about device security, many of our users aren't, and ultimately we get the blame for their poor security, hence the policy.
SuperUser
Kudos: 4146
Solutions: 978

Many of the users?

I know the sort that you allude to. Generally living in places where they can only get Loco M5's that they think will work at full speed over 15Km or more of built up terrain, like to run a firmware that lets them run in Compliance Mode as their regulations won't allow them to run a'la Wild West style and bemoan the fact that there is no WEP anymore. They also think that AP-Repeater is the Golden Egg mode.

Smiley Happy

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
Ubiquiti Employee

As easy as it would be to categorize them all as that, it may surprise you! Man Happy
SuperUser
Kudos: 4146
Solutions: 978

Nothing surprises me here anymore Smiley Happy

I do see why the password changes have been implemented though. Its not good for UBNT when 1000's of uses get infected by stuff such as Mother ****** and the like purely because they had weak or default usernames/passwords etc.

UK Comms & Links Engineer.

Come on you lot, Feel free to 'Mark as Solution' At least click the Kudos button. Thanks.

Top Solution Authors Leaderboard
Ubiquiti Employee

Yeah. Though I do accept that our policy can use some improvement, which will be a part of a future release.
Established Member
Kudos: 408
Solutions: 115

+1 on that.

An improvement (as mentioned elseware) would be the ability to change both user and password in the popup box upon initial installation.