Highlighted
Kudos: 1

Advice on my WISP network plans (yet another).

I've been doing some research for a while and I feel like I'm close to having everything figured out. I have a budget, data plans priced, transport connection set, the only thing is I need to make some final desicions on equipment and a diagram for the property owners. This is what I have;

4400 Cherry Drive Cut Sheet .png

Is there anything at all I'm missing? Any technicall limitations I might face by serving 50+ clients on a single PrismStation? What would be my max on a PrismStation? Any advice would be helpful!

Also, on the 100mbps connection I have comming, what do I need to find out to make sure the fiber connection I have coming in will be able to connect to the FiberPOE?

Thanks in advance!

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 1701
Solutions: 263

Re: Advice on my WISP network plans (yet another).

I would recommend doubling your number of APs, having 50 clients on a single AP is going to result in you not being able to offer a large number of high speed packages.

If I'm offering 25mbps and the AP handles 500mbps and the clients are LOS .5 km away, 50 clients will be too many for a single prism station?

Kudos: 134
Solutions: 3

@CharlesTangent wrote:

...and the AP handles 500mbps...

Where do I buy these?!

Lol

@signa wrote:

@CharlesTangent wrote:

...and the AP handles 500mbps...

Where do I buy these?!

Lol

https://www.ubnt.com/airmax/prismstation-ac/

The PrismStation AC page states speeds of 500+ mbps and 5+ km. So if there's a per-client average of 10mbps (which will be way lower), within 1 kilometer, I can't expect 50 nodes to be able to connect?  

SuperUser
Kudos: 3787
Solutions: 327

@CharlesTangent - This is in PtP mode, where you can utilize a contiguous 80Mhz of spectrum. Currently, PtMP is limited to a maximum of 40Mhz, which yields just over 300Mbps under ideal conditions.

We also have 25/5Mbps plans, and I've got an AP with 40 clients that is very close to saturation during prime time, I recommend 35 clients max per AP (although actual counts may differ depending on data caps you offer if any, bursting, and the type of subscribers you actually have).
This equipment is so incredibly affordable, it's easy to be very, very profitable with 35 clients an AP without breaking the bank to add more to accommodate your users, and give them the best online experience.
Tony Pierro
CTO - Wireless Internet Services, Inc.

Thanks everyone. So aside from that, all the equipment I have shown is all I will need to get going? No other faults?

Also, I'm still unsure about fiber connection coming into the FiberPOE.  Once I get the fiber installed, does it come with everything I need to plug and play?

Veteran Member
Kudos: 1754
Solutions: 136

[ Edited ]

The diagram you posted above makes it look like you're planning to use the EP-R6 as your gateway router.  If so, you way want to reconsider that approach.  Your infrastructure servers (like UNMS & UCRM) will need to connect to your network.  How tall is your tower, and what does the lightning risk look like there?

Where are the client locations in relation to the AP(s)?  Specifically, what kind of included angle would cover the potential clients?  This will help determine the optimal number of AP's along with the optimal antenna selection for each AP.

Can you provide some details on the "fiber connection" shown in that diagram?  Most providers will install their own ONT, which typically hands off a copper (1000baseTX) port on the customer side.  An EdgeRouter 6P might be a good fit as your border router -- it has the horsepower to handle NetFlow reporting for several hundred megabits worth of traffic and also includes an SFP port you could use to feed the EP-R6.  If it's a native fiber optic hand-off, there could be other options.

The plan was to keep the server(s) in my home office that would also be wirelessly connected to the same AP. For that reason, I'm considering a dedicated IsoStation link from roof to home. Two minute drive if something goes wrong.

The rooftop is 60m high facing several target communities. The first is a cluster of MDUs on an incline with balconies. the plan is to cover this area with a 90 degree horn. I don't think I'll have more than 30 on this AP. Average distance is 1.5km. I have two more areas that might be a bit more dense that would otherwise be within a 90 degree reach, however I plan on using two 45s with a bit of overlap in the middle where there might be a bit more clients anyway. Average distances 1.5 - 5km. All three APs will be PrismStations. In the future, I would like to put some Powerbeams on this same pole to relay to a few more buildings. Will I run into any uses with 3 PrismStations and two Powerbeams on a EP-R6?

I know nothing yet about what the fiber details are right now. I got my quotes from a site called ITquotes.com, and I think they price check some options for me. I don't think I'm gonna know those details until I'm ready to order, and I'm not.

Also, anyone run cables from a ground floor inside up 20 stories? Tips?