Kudos: 1

Captive Portal for Wifi Selling Wifi, WISP

Hello fellow UBNT members. I love reading the forums and following a lot of you.

I have a simple question that I am reaching out to you for your ideas. I am placing this in the AirMax section since I will be using all airMax and EdgeMax equipment.

I am about to deploying a WISP in my area. I already have all my equipment, setup, configurations and what not set how I am going to run this network. 

My question is. There are a number of RV parks within my coverage area where I would like to offer WiFi instead of setting up a CPE on each camper in the park. For my WISP customers I will be utilixzing the UCRM by Ubiquiti, but what would you do to deploy a captive portal for WiFi users to sign up with for internet Access. 

One thing I have considered is a WiFi hotspot in each camper so the customer can connect whatever devices they have to one device, isolated from other campers. I will have a Radio link from my tower to a cpe in the camp ground and then to a wireless router, 

Another option is using a pf sense box in my server room connected through a VLAN so each CPE acorss the network can talk to the pf sense box running a captive portal.  I apologize if this is so scattered, I am just banging my head on the wall trying to figure out a solution to this. 

I should mention that each AP will have its own subnet, which is why I was thinking a VLAN to reach across all the subnets.Either that, or I would have to have a pfsense box on each subnet to handle the captive portal.

I am sure someone is going to recommend the Unifi Suite, that option is out for now. I may be wrong, but I think the Edge products will give me more control over everything and Unifi would double my routeing and switching cost.

If anyone can understand what I am trying to ask and has any ideas, please feel free to share.

Thank you all,

Jeff Stoner

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 271
Solutions: 76

Re: Captive Portal for Wifi Selling Wifi, WISP

You do want UniFi at least for your APs, unless you know something I don't. airMax and edgeMax don't really have any end-user wifi APs aside from the airGateway and airCube. Both of these are low maintenance devices designed to go in the customer's home and just provide simple wireless.

UNMS, UCRM, and the UniFi controller software can be combined together with relative ease. UNMS will manage your airMax and edgeMax devices. UCRM for customer account records and service activation/suspension. UniFi controller has a built in, customizable captive portal.

UniFi is just such a great product line for managed WiFi that I hesitate to insist on avoiding it wholesale. It has some outdoor directional antennas, but no real point to point hardware for connecting distant segments of your network. This is where airMax shines.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Ok, I do get it and understand what you are saying, still a bit confused how I would implement it on my current network layout. Here is a breif explanation of my network.

ER-12

This will have my servers connected directly and then toa switch, the WAN will also be coming into this router.

ES-16-150W

This will have 12 RP-5AC-Gen 2 radios connected all to Sectors to broadast by WISP

My Servers connected to ER-12

UNMS

UCRM

VPN

Pi-Hole 

Thinking about using pfSense as well for captive portal to a VLAN to connect via PPPOE.

My individual residential customers will either have a Nanostation AC Loco 5 or Litebeam for their link into a router. The AP's that these customers connect to will be on their on subnet.

The campgrounds I am thinking a LiteBeam or Powerbeam into a router and then out to a Wifi Mesh network, Each camper will have a router set to PPPOE to be able to connect to my network and then i can use pfSense for bandwidth throtling, user control, etc.

The Radio to the campground and the pfSense Server will be on a VLAN so I can put them on its own subnet through an existing subnet from the primary AP.

The drawback to this setup is I do not think I will be able to use UCRM to manage the clients connected to the mesh, so I will need 2 management servers, one for the mesh clients and one for my individual clients, correct? 

Ok, so with all this being said and a better idea of my network, will a Unifi Router/Switch/Cloud Key benefit me more than my current setup?

Thank you again,

Jeff

Highlighted

I got it, thank you.

I will just have to add a Unifi Controller to my network, which I can host on another machine locally, and then configure the Unifi Mesh AP at the campground site within said controller. Thus, I do not have to change anything on my network or change out any gear.

Correct?

Thank you again,

Jeff