Kudos: 5

How to copy a firmware .bin file from a radio?

Hi there, 

I am suffering, as we all are, from the lack of a stable firmware version for the Rocket M900. 

I have in my posession a radio loaded with 5.6.11. That version seemed to be stable, before I upgraded the rest of the units in my network and ruined reliability for all my customers. 

My question:  Is it possible to copy this version to my PC using WinSCP or something? I just want the .bin file so I can downgrade all my radios to that version again...

I tried for a moment with WinSCP but the firmware folder on the radio seemed to be empty except for 5 hidden files...which then dissapeared from view when I asked to show them.  If anyone knows if this can be done, please share how... 

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2168
Solutions: 335

Re: How to copy a firmware .bin file from a radio?

I'd recommend using v5.6.15 signed, from what I've seen the M900 stability issue is not present in this release.

I have tested many versions and v5.6.15 is one of them. It is more stable than some but I still suffer from random reboots at night and the early morning.  

I wish I had not tried to upgrade the older radios as they had no problems prior. Could you send me an older revision of firmware? 

Emerging Member
Kudos: 27
Solutions: 3

Download the firmware here:

https://www.ui.com/download/airmax-m

Click on "See Past Firmware" and look for 5.6.15 signed for your processor type.

Look at this link for instructions on how to force firmware with a TFTP client.

I use one called tftp2.  

I think it can still be downloaded from here:

http://www.shadowsoftware.net/shadowgameworld/downloads/

Scroll down and click on tftp2.exe

I hope this helps!

Emerging Member
Kudos: 27
Solutions: 3

5.6.15 still is broken - I have been using it and it drops customers. I am looking to go earlier than 5.6.11 but cannot find a way to do so

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2168
Solutions: 335

I am afraid we are not sending unsigned (pre-v.5.6.15) firmware) to users at this time. From other feedback I haven't seen this occur on v5.6.15, though. What happens at these reboots you are experiencing?

I should clarify - the radios simply loose connectivity, even though they have stable links otherwise. I am being forced to use Ping Watchdog because of this, and the reboots restore my connection every time. 

Whatever this bug is doing, the result is a systematic loss of wireless peership for no apparent reason. Seems to be very well documented and universally experienced by other users