Kudos: 30
Solutions: 1

Increasing distance manually (by 0.5-1.0miles) increases obstructed stations throughput

We had 2 obstructed PtP links with no LOS (trees), throughput was at 4/0,3 Mbits with a lot of drops when distance is auto.

Automatically calculated distance seems close to true but when I have increased distance from 2,3 miles to 2,8 miles, things improved a lot. now there's 9/0.8 Mbits with almost no drops.

However, increasing it further makes things worse.

This trick did improve throughput in all observed cases with obstructed clients.

Am I thinking right that it has something to do with reflections with a little delay?

Why AC radios doesn't have this setting to adjust a distance, so we could tune it to a different scenarios?

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2165
Solutions: 334

Re: Increasing distance manually (by 0.5-1.0miles) increases obstructed stations throughput

That's interesting, I don't think I've seen a case before where manually changing the link distance has this effect. The distance calculation is different between AC and M, and should be more accurate in AC, but I'll discuss with the team and see if we have seen this elsewhere.
Emerging Member
Kudos: 6

Re: Increasing distance manually (by 0.5-1.0miles) increases obstructed stations throughput

i think doing the distance manual help as well

Kudos: 30
Solutions: 1

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-SNK

I have tested the throughput on one link in different modes. This is a very weak link, Airgrid M2 to Nanobeam M2, a small forest with snow on the trees in the way (LOS is obstructed with top of the trees). An actual distance is ~2.2km. There's one customer.

Aggregation is 16/16000, AirMax enabled, rates on auto. Signals is -64 on one side and -70 on another.

Below is the list of the speed test results on different modes.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 2165
Solutions: 334

Interesting, thanks. I'll discuss these with the team.