Upcoming Maintenance Alert:

The UBNT Community will be upgraded at 5pm MDT on April 25th. During this time the community forums will be set to read-only status.

Learn more

Highlighted

Picostation 2 HP P2P with WiFi

I have a couple Picostation 2 HPs that I just upgraded to the latest firmware (XS2.ar2316.v4.0.4.5074.150724.1340-8M) and factory reset.

There is the main house that has Internet with a router. I am going to connect a LAN port to one Picostation which will then be a P2P bridge to another Picostation at a guest house about 1000' away. The Picostation at the guest house also needs to provide WiFi.

I see AP, AP WDS, Station, and Station WDS modes. What is the best way to set these up to accomplish this? Thanks.

Re: Picostation 2 HP P2P with WiFi

Ok I configured them with the guest house pico being an AP and the main house pico being a Station. Works fine.

Now, knowing what WDS does, I'd rather use it so it's more like a true layer 2 transparent p2p, but I have a question. If I select WDS and WPA2-AES encryption then the mac address fields go away, which from what I understand the reason why is that the mac addresses are encrypted with WPA* therefore, it won't work with WDS.

With that said it still allows me to use WDS without entering the mac address of the Station. So does that defeat the purpose and not allow WDS to function?