Highlighted
Kudos: 1

PowerBeam M5 400 self downloading

Hi Everyone,

i observed something fishy on my PowerBeam M5 400 that without Internet connectivity my device downloading something and which increasing ping ms on my AP.

Can someone help me to figure out why device self sucking bandwidth  when there is no Internet connectivity.

ping.PNGPowerBeam M5 400.PNG

Re: PowerBeam M5 400 self downloading

So you didn't give any context on how this is used so I'm just going to assume you have a wireless router attached on the lan port of the powerbeam.

Traffic is coming in on wlan0 and exiting lan0 so the device(s) attached to your lan is downloading something.  This is not the powerbeam doing anything it is the device attached to it.  You can use tcpdump tool on the powerbeam via an ssh session to figure out more on what traffic this is.  You'll probably find it is coming from a Content Delivery Network.

Not unusual these days with most devices using the cloud to receive updates or sync files.  Probably want to further check your devices on the lan to see what is using data.  You can disconnect devices one at a time to figure out when the traffic consumption stops.  If you have windows pc you can check through task manager what is using data.

device connected throgh switch to my pc and which have only one user that is me also i have checked task manager for network useges but everything showing 0mbps.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 3479
Solutions: 719
Contributions: 73

Why are you using DoD IP space?

chrome_2018-02-14_11-58-17.png

You could use something like Glassware or Currports on your Windows computer to help identify the traffic.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Kudos: 53
Solutions: 11

I thought the same ... why a private person use a public ip space ... ?
The PBE-M5 and all other devices wont load something from the "internet" ... thats ridiculous ...
There is a missconfig on your network ... the IP space is the first thing !

Thank you james for your quick reply.

Ip which i was ping in screenshot is my AP ip not public ip and this issue i faced after i upgraded firmware to 6.1.X.

i was not faced such problem on 6.0.X  & 5.5.7 firmware versions.AP.PNG

Ubiquiti Employee

I think we will need to know a bit more about how your network is configured and what other network devices you have.

The radio is only passing 2 Mbps, so I wouldn't expect the throughput to cause this.  You can use something like TCPDump on the radio to see where this traffic is going.  Something like tcpdump -v -i eth0 not port 22

Does this network normally not have Internet, or did you just notice this while there was an outage?  The reason for asking is that if you are having DNS issues, you will still be able to ping out via IP.

I would suggest renumbering this network if possible since this could be an IP conflict issue.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

Hi James,

As suggested i have changed ip but still facing same issue. i m attaching TCPDump for your reference can you please analyze this dump and suggest me solution or cause. Password shared on private message.

Ubiquiti Employee

@hell  It doesn't look like the attachment made it through.  Could you send to james@ubnt.com and include reference to this topic?

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png

tcpdump shared on james@ubnt.com

any luck james ? tcpdump and support files already shared on james@ubnt.com.