Highlighted
Solutions: 3
Accepted Solution

Rocket M2: Only Power light displays

[ Edited ]

I've been running a Rocket M2 Titanium with a AMO-2G10-Omni-Directional-Antenna without any issues since May 2014.

Last week after multiple days of single digit temperatures (degrees F) the Rocket went off line.

With a single RocketM2+AMO2G10 antenna in the midlle of a farm we can cover about a square mile (radius 0.5 miles)

As a temporary bypass, I've attached an AP-AC-Mesh.(with the default/supplied antennas)  It works, but as expected, range is limited.

1 Will the AP-AC Mesh work with the AMO-2G10?  Any special settings?

This thread: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Wireless/UniFi-Mesh-AC-with-AirMAX-Antenna/td-p/1765036

references:

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002652248-UniFi-UAP-AC-M-and-airMAX-Antenna-Compatibility...

…but the link no longer points to a compatibility matrix.

(The RESET button has not performed any miracles.)

2. With the Rocket M2 plugged in, in the comfort of my office,the power light "winks off" regularly/intermittently.  When the light goes out, I see the AMPs and Watts momentarily go to zero on me handy dandy WS-POE-Tester+

Is my Rocket M2 dead?  (As in:  "It's dead Jim.")

3. Rocket 2AC Prism looks like the recommend replacement (at >2x the price).  (With one centrally located lights/cameras/temp gauges/roaming users are well covered, so I don't need the GPS features)  What do you love about the 2AC Prism? (besides GPS, Management Wi-Fi(I'm good with 192.168.1.20-type login,)  I'm leaning towards a Rocket M, but could go with the Rocket 2ac Prism if there is some special future-proofing for the next 5 years.

Accepted Solutions

Is there a high gain Unifi product that will attach to the AMO-2G10?

[ Edited ]

Recieved the replacement Rocket M2 (this one is an XW (24v POE) vs Titanium (48v POE) version of the old one)

Have compeleted setup "indoors" and will wait for improved weather before completing the outdoor re-installation.

Before I complete this install is there a high gain Unifi productthat will attach to the AMO-2G10?

(it is not the UAP-AC-M, not enough oomph to cover the full half mile radius)

[update]

As best as I can tell, there is no Unfi product that provides the wide area coverage / long range of a Rocket+AMO antenna.

Solution: Install new Rocket M2.

Installed the new Rocket M2-XW.  We're back in business.  Once again able to stream video from a camera 2000 feet away.

radio.1.txpower=8, works like a champ.  Using an AP-AC-Mesh connected to the same antenna, we could barely maintain a connection to the antenna with 2.4GHz power at 100% and 5GHz disabled.

The old Rocket M2-Ti worked for 5 years.  Only downtime due to a power outage (two days due to snow). Long Live the Rocket M2-XW.RocketM2Ti..JPGIt's dead Jim. Nothing to see here.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 272
Solutions: 76

Re: Rocket M2: Only Power light displays

The Prism technology filters competing signals better than a typical radio, so it's especially useful in 2.4ghz. If you don't have a noisy RF environment, you don't need it.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

[ Edited ]

@UBNT-JoshMcGee thanks for the update.  For a single tower in the middle of a square mile in the middle of nowhere I'll stick with the Rocket M2.

Are there any issues with connecting the AP-AC-Mesh to the AMO-2G10-Omni-Directional-Antenna?

Thanks again.

PS  I tried all tried reset options #1 & #3 on page 60 & 61 of https://dl.ubnt.com/guides/training/courses/UBWA_Training_Guide.pdf.  The Rocket M2 never responds to a ping at 192.168.1.20. The GP-B480-050 48V 0.5A FAST ETHERNET POE POWER SUPPLY (POE-48-24W) does not have a reset button so I could not try option #2.  I have to let it go and admit that it is really dead.  The M2 just powers off/on approximately every 7 seconds.

Ubiquiti Employee
Kudos: 272
Solutions: 76

I'm not sure what you are connecting UniFi APs to airMax for, but I would recommend building a PtP link between two airmax devices and wiring the UniFi into the network from there through the LAN port on the POE or with a switch.

UBNT_Alternate_Logo.png
Ubiquiti Networks airMAX Support Team

Check out our ever-evolving Help Center for answers to many common questions!

FREE UBWA Student Guide-Great RF Primer!

Kudos: 23
Solutions: 5

If you used a 48V with a rocket m2 that uses 24v then your lan is toast

[ Edited ]

With the Rocket M2 inoperative, I replaced the Rocket M2 and it's 48v POE injector with an on-hand UAP-AC-Mesh+24v POE injector.

Step 1: use the AP-AC-Mesh supplied antennas..  AOK but "weak" (as expected)

Step 2: Remove the AP-AC-Mesh supplied antennas and connect to the AMO-2G10 antenna.  Better, now connects to a distant device (with low throughput)

Step 3: Replacement Rocket M2 on order.  Will replace AP-AC-Mesh next week once the weather improves.

Understood... (Used the 24v POE injector with the AP-AC-Mesh)

Thanks.

Is there a high gain Unifi product that will attach to the AMO-2G10?

[ Edited ]

Recieved the replacement Rocket M2 (this one is an XW (24v POE) vs Titanium (48v POE) version of the old one)

Have compeleted setup "indoors" and will wait for improved weather before completing the outdoor re-installation.

Before I complete this install is there a high gain Unifi productthat will attach to the AMO-2G10?

(it is not the UAP-AC-M, not enough oomph to cover the full half mile radius)

[update]

As best as I can tell, there is no Unfi product that provides the wide area coverage / long range of a Rocket+AMO antenna.

Solution: Install new Rocket M2.

Installed the new Rocket M2-XW.  We're back in business.  Once again able to stream video from a camera 2000 feet away.

radio.1.txpower=8, works like a champ.  Using an AP-AC-Mesh connected to the same antenna, we could barely maintain a connection to the antenna with 2.4GHz power at 100% and 5GHz disabled.

The old Rocket M2-Ti worked for 5 years.  Only downtime due to a power outage (two days due to snow). Long Live the Rocket M2-XW.RocketM2Ti..JPGIt's dead Jim. Nothing to see here.